APC Forum

Extracting Ascorbic acid from Vitamin c tablets

Milyan720

I need ascorbic acid for some golden powder that I want to make, I have some 500 vitamin c tablets. Each tablet has 300 mg of ascorbic acid and 200mg of sodium ascorbate, the total weight of the tablet ranges from 1.00 - 1.08 grams. How would I extract it. If the process is too expensive then is there a way to synthesise it.

..... I'm a noob and this topic may be rubbish to some people

..... I'm a noob and this topic may be rubbish to some people

Well there you are right!

1. What ndo you want with gp? There is no real applieance for it in pyro

2. Seperating them will be quite hard

3. As you mentioned ascorbic acid is Vitamin C, just buy the 100% pure powder from you next supermarket.

Im using it as an alternative to bp/flash powder

I don't mind if it's difficult, I want to explore the science

I live in Australia and I doubt they have 100% pure, but I might have a look.

Food grade will be expensive but pharmaceutical grade will be even more expensive Keep looking in the shops

Extracting it depends on what else is in the tablets.

Most members will be more willing to help you if you show you're putting in even the smallest amount of research or thinking, instead of just asking to be spoonfed answers or solutions.

• Like 2

The rest is binder

I might try making the stuff with nakkas guide to crimson powder

I'll try posting some pictures of the tablets and the ingredients

Edited by Milyan720
  • Like 1

Sure that your tabletts contain 200mg of binder? That would be quite a lot. The one i get at the local supermarket contain sodium carbonat

Sodium ascorbate is also vitamin c , the other 500mg might be filler abd binder

Milyan720, Are you still hanging noodles on our ears?! Extracting Ascorbic acid from vitamin C tablets is a trivial matter. But extracting Potassium Nitrate from bat guano...that is a worthy endeavor. It is difficult to get the bats to hold still enough, though.

Lol, I heard that potassium nitrate crystals grow on the sides of bat caves. Kno3 is easier to extract because of its solubility chart, but playing with bat sh*t isnt something everyone would go, unless your fearless.

I once laughed so hard while eating noodles and one noodle came out my nose :b

I think noodles look nice on people's ears

Edited by Milyan720

Milyan, you don't need to use tablets!

What are you doing, robbing your mom's medicine cabinet for fireworks chems?

If you're an adult with more money than a kid's allowance, you can go to your local health food store and buy Vitamin C powder. I'm sure that Australia also has health food stores.

Here in the US, a one-pound bottle of 100% pure, food-grade ascorbic acid sells for between $10-$20, depending whether you buy it at a health-food co-op, or at a swank, up-scale market on Nob Hill.

If you can't afford a pound of ascorbic acid, you aren't going to be able afford the setup to extract it from tablets, either.

Really, stop the silly posts and start doing your own research. A simple search on "ascorbic acid" would have revealed that it's sold pure, by the bottle, in vitamin stores.

Sheesh. Sometimes I think school should stay in session year round!

-- Paravani.

Edited by Paravani
  • Like 1

Milyan, the chems used for BP are perfectly legal and easy to get. Any industrial supplier have it. I got 50kgs the other week pretty cheap from one.

I once laughed so hard while eating noodles and one noodle came out my nose :b

I think noodles look nice on people's ears

Wow cool story bro!

Jess I bet he doesn't want BP its too much work. He wants golden powder cause he's a BOOMER!

Edited by Jakenbake

Yep Jake, It's sad isn't it. Is it school holidays or something at the moment? There's a few around. :(
I love helping the young fellas, but they need to learn how to stay alive.

Edited by jessoman

... But extracting Potassium Nitrate from bat guano...that is a worthy endeavor. It is difficult to get the bats to hold still enough, though.

Guanidine Nitrate is used in some rocket propellants.

I don't have any charcoal or sulfur but I have a lump of coal. I could make bp without Sulphur but I can be bothered grinding down the coal because I know it wont be any good without a ball mill. I need some kind of powdered propellant in small quantities for a cannon im working on. I could use AM but that pressure/friction sensitive.

Milyan, the chems used for BP are perfectly legal and easy to get. Any industrial supplier have it. I got 50kgs the other week pretty cheap from one.

Lol I live in Australia, I got kno3 which is illegal (unless its under %30). Ill be needing a license

Coal and charcoal are not the same thing.

No, no they are not interchangeable. It would be wise for you to spend time learning about the proper processes before trying to cut corners and improvise.

I'm pretty sure you're too young for a license.

-- Paravani