APC Forum

***Ball Mill Explosion!***

dagabu

Y'know, looking at the pics again and seeing how that rubber barrel was completely fragmented, that batch of powder would have been really good. High Four, BB.

• Like 1

Y'know, looking at the pics again and seeing how that rubber barrel was completely fragmented, that batch of powder would have been really good. High Four, BB.

BWWWAAAAHHHAAA! You guys are killing me! "High four!"

Also I found if you mill the thing too long, it cakes up regardless. So if it cakes up it means the powder is ready.

This is also why I think a 2 part process will be much safer. You're not going to have an explosion if for whatever reason you need to scrape or hit the barrel to uncake it.

There was just a discussion on fireworking and some are getting the clumping even with drying the chems., sounds like pre milling the PN and charcoal (separately) is fixing the problem for some.

I still like the 2 part process, I will have to see if I am brave enough to buy another mall bill...

In the case of a small rubber jar the sides can be easily squeezed to a point of deformation. This dislodges the majority of the powder, and is the approach I should have taken. After releasing the bulk of the powder along with the media I don't think a light tap on the bottom of the jar would be too much of an issue. Does anyone see any problems with this method?

No?

Nobody is willing to offer up an opinion, just to get proven wrong in 3 months.

It should be ok. I guess. The usual disclaimers applies.

B!

That's kind of what I figured. I suppose it's definitely a better idea than shaking a closed jar full of media either way. It gets VERY hot in my area, and drying the chemicals doesn't necessarily prevent caking. I don't intend to trade safety for performance, but it seems to me that the two part milling just isn't going to give the same quality of BP. Edited by BurritoBandito

This seems like an area ripe for testing. Maybe run a few controls all granulated/corned in the same manner and screened to a tight tolerance. Relative densities could be compared as well just for comparison.

3 components milled together as normal

75/5 and 10/10 independently milled and mixed.

Individually milled (or S and C milled) and mixed.

I don't know if it's a standard, but the FPAG BP tester is probably the most universal one I know of. It also allows the BP to be tested under somewhat real world conditions: http://skylighterpromos.s3.amazonaws.com/Polverone.pdf Ned, and others have taken to attaching a piece of sponge or foam with duct tape to the top of the "shuttle" or "dongle". Apparently one of these made it's way through someone's windshield at one point.

I've seen some BP made individually milled and just screened together. It can be surprisingly good, probably comparable to commercial BP. The three "secrets" are to use a hot charcoal, mix with a very fine screen (80-100 mesh) and to ball mill both the nitrate and C/S mixture. Don't count on supplied fineness being suitable. The very fine screen actually really enhances the mixing I've been told.

I would be very interested in seeing the results of the test, but am unable to preform it for myself right now. If anyone cares to run the test, and post the results here at APC, I would very much appreciate it.

While I do appreciate your input, I'd still like to see some quantitative analysis of the methods. I'm sure that with quality chemicals a useable BP could be obtained, but how does that product compare with traditionally milled BP using the same chemicals?

As I said before, I have no intention of trading my safety for an unncessarily higher performing product, but I fully believe that my accident was completely avoidable. In the case of Dagabu source of ignition was presumably ESD, which is just as real of a threat when screening as it would be while emptying the jar.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the updated photos of my right hand.

After being washed:

post-18033-0-83051500-1410558984_thumb.jpgpost-18033-0-88604200-1410558982_thumb.jpgpost-18033-0-70186000-1410558986_thumb.jpgpost-18033-0-65350200-1410558988_thumb.jpgpost-18033-0-47234900-1410558991_thumb.jpg

Before being washed:

post-18033-0-74523300-1410558993_thumb.jpgpost-18033-0-70330800-1410558995_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Dag. I've never had a cast before. Is it normal for them to get this dirty?

It looks like it was never their in the first place. Your doc. did very nice work buddy. I hope your not in too much pain.

Thanks Dag. I've never had a cast before. Is it normal for them to get this dirty?

Most are worse! My daughter had mold growing on her skin after she had a water fight with her girlfriend but didn't tell me she got it wet. I walked past her and noticed the stink...

• Like 1

MWJ, the only time it really hurts at all is during physical therapy, but that pain is necessary for regaining functionality.

I just had surgery on my shoulder in Feb. so I know about PT. Good luck with all of your recovery.

• Like 1

Pinkies are overrated anyways... looks great to me!

If I ever get the chance to meet you, I'll be looking forward to that handshake.

Take care,

• Like 1

Thanks ddewees.

I have only been in a cast once and it was pretty bad too when it was cut off. Of course, I had already cut part of it away so I could pull the clutch on a 4-wheeler. (Also the reason for the cast to begin with)

Good luck with the PT. The pain is worth the results, I promise.

• Like 1

I have only been in a cast once and it was pretty bad too when it was cut off. Of course, I had already cut part of it away so I could pull the clutch on a 4-wheeler. (Also the reason for the cast to begin with)

Good luck with the PT. The pain is worth the results, I promise.

+1

Believe me guys, PT is my top priority. Getting the mobility back in my remaining fingers is the single most important thing to me right now. I am making sure to do all my stretches multiple times each day. They are uncomfortable to say the least, but I understand the importance of staying on top of them.

Right now the focus areas for me are that my remaining pinky doesn't want to bend at the middle knuckle, unless I use my right hand and physically force it to. My right ring finger does not fully straighten or bend. Neither thumb has it's full range of motion, and there is a lot of scar tissue. My wrist is also does not have it's full articulation, but I expect it to be easier to rehab.

If anyone has any tips on softening up scar tissue, I'm all ears. I stretch it, moisturize it, massage it, and soak my hands in hot water. I've heard vitamin E is beneficial, but other sources indicate that it only reduces the appearance of scars. Some have told me to eat the pills, others to break them open, and rub the contents on my hands. Do you guys have any experience here? Thanks.