APC Forum

***Ball Mill Explosion!***

dagabu

That sounds really good BB! A few more months and you will forget from time to time that you had an accident. Cherish those moments.

Thanks Dag. I already sometimes forget that I had an accident, though I'm quickly reminded when I try to use my hands. While there are periodic pains (and the bizzar sensation of having a phantom digit) for me it is more of an annoyance than anything. I forget sometimes that I can't do certain things, and am irritated when I try. Pain is completely manageable. My Rx is down to 5/325 hydrocodone/APAP. I haven't taken any in around 2 weeks, with the exception of yesterday prior to having my pins removed, and to be honest, I don't think I needed them then either. I just didn't know what to expect in terms of pain.

Well, I had my last pin prematurely removed last night. It got snagged in my hair (yes, I have wild hair), and I didn't notice. When I went to move my hand it was pulled almost completely out. My doctor is not available today, so I pulled it the rest of the way out myself, and put a split on it to keep the finger immobilized. My next appointment will probably be moved forward now, and IF I'm lucky my cast will be removed, and I can begin therapy sooner.

Edit: Here's some pics for anyone who's interested. Sorry for the poor quality of the images.

post-18033-0-34136300-1408921071_thumb.jpg Left hand

post-18033-0-89129400-1408921087_thumb.jpg Right hand

post-18033-0-49359400-1408921111_thumb.jpg Jar pieces

Edited by BurritoBandito

Ouch! Sounds and looks like that might have hurt just a wee bit.

Man, that jar is in a lot of pieces and the lid crumpled like foil. Surprised the inner lid with the gasket isn't crumpled also. The jar almost looks as if it became brittle over time.

Pics look really good, the pin just about sliding out is a good sign as well, I don't think the Dr will give you too hard a time for that one.

Math aside, I used to mill the material separately by combining all of the kno3 with 1/3 of the charcoal needed, milling them for however long it needs to mill, then set it aside. I would then mill the rest of the charcoal with sulfur (it works out to 75 kno3 and 5 charcoal for the first mix, and 10 charcoal and 10 sulfur for the second mix) for the required time. The two mixes are then screened together. This produces a fast bp but I need to ask, is it any safer than milling the entire mix at once? Has anyone stuck an e match in a test container of 75 kno3 5 charcoal to see if it would ignite at all? (obviously in a SAFE location well away from anyone or anything)

Bobosan, the pin coming out didn't hurt at all. As for the inner lid, it's screwed onto the outer lid. It's all crumpled as well. The circular thing in the pic is actually the gasket. I haven't found the bottom of the jar yet.

Dagabu, thanks. I think the left hand looks pretty good. There's some scar tissue on the palm, but you can't really see it much in the pic. The right hand would look a lot better if there wasn't so much skin peeling. As soon as the cast comes off I'm going to scrub it really good. I'll take before and after pics.

TaiwanLuthiers, I doubt that the mixture would ignite, but I don't think that's necessary. Just follow the rules. Lead media, no shaking/hitting the jar, and wear PPE. When I return to manufacturing I will still be milling all of my ingredients together. What happened to me happened because I was being foolish.

Edited by BurritoBandito
  • Like 1

Yes, but milling a noncombustible mixture is just so much safer compared to milling something that's explosive on its own. It's more time consuming for sure but it produces good powder, and it's safe. I think it would make more sense when milling very large batches where an explosion from emptying the jar won't happen, as I heard about this a lot more than the mill exploding on its own.

"TaiwanLuthiers, I doubt that the mixture would ignite, but I don't think that's necessary. Just follow the rules. Lead media, no shaking/hitting the jar, and wear PPE. When I return to manufacturing I will still be milling all of my ingredients together. What happened to me happened because I was being foolish"

So sad you learned this the hard way but glad you are on the mend and the hand is coming along.

Be careful out there folks, seems like almost all the accidents in manufacturing could have been avoided.

Your hands are already looking better than mine. You'll be in fine shape. It took me probably 3 months of working at it before I could fully close my fist. You'll probably be able to do it in a few weeks.

it was over a year before I could close them both, still cant fully open them. I am glad you are both doing so well!!

Thank you both. My left hand will probably be good in a few weeks. My right... Well, I doubt it. The pin that I accidentally removed was supposed to be in for 3 more weeks, and I have to keep a splint on it until then. The cast also interferes with my range of motion. I'll get it all back, but it's going to take some therapy. Unfortunately I can't really begin PT until the cast comes off. It's lame, but it is also necessary, and entirely my fault. Lesson learned.

Shorthand, so to speak.

I only wish they would put their pictures in spoiler tags, or something. I REALLY don't wanna see em. My left hand hurts just thinking of it.

B!

I'm sure there is another pun to be made, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Let me point it out for you...

MAN! It's good to hear you poke a little fun BB, I just can't take my injuries seriously anymore, my personality just doesn't do that "somber" thing very well.

You'd be surprised how many jokes I've made at my expense. I lost count after 9.

Edit: Fixed typo

Edited by BurritoBandito

You'd be surprised hoe many jokes I've made at my expense. I lost count after 9.

Dude.... Just take them shoes n' socks of, that should keep you going, unless you get in to some lawnmower accidents...

All phun aside, yeah, the spirit is strong with this one. Dagabu, that sort of goes for you to. I've said it before, i'm not sure i could deal with it in the way you guys do / have done so far.

B!

Thanks B, life is just too short to live in doldrums, been there, done that burnt the T-shirt! :P

MrB, there's no sense in being bent out of shape about it. My accident was my fault, and what's done is done.

Throughout this thread and others I've seen a recurring theme: don't shake or hit the jar. Don't scoop the contents out.

I have a dead serious question. Everything I mill cakes up solid in bottom of the the (Sponenburgh PVC) jar. Of a 1 qt charge, only a few tablespoons & the lead media come out when I dump the jar. I don't mean to come off as a smartass, but how am I supposed to get the stuff out, then? I've been stopping the mill in the middle of the run, rapping the jar with my rawhide mallet and shaking it up a couple of times to try to keep it loose, but the caking still gets bad anyway about half way through the run. With apologies to Dag, his experience suggests that reaching into the jar to break it up and scoop it out is a bad idea. Smacking the bottom and sides of the jar with the mallet to break up the cake so I can dump it out works fine, but now that sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I'm out of ideas.

Dry your chemicals, that is the answer. Heat and moisture cause clumping, keep it cool and dry. No apologies necessary, digging an unprotected hand in BP is asking for trouble, smacking jars is also a bad idea.