APC Forum

Rolling Tubes

btdk34

Does anybody have drawings or a good sketch of a tube rolling machine they actually built or made themself? Having lots of ideas and stuff lying around, but not sure where to start. My previous attempts have all failed miserably...

Make a list of what you want your machine to do and go from there.

Hey Pyrocube, I cant believe there`s no quality kraftpaper available in central europe. We must get ours from somewhere :)

Edited by Col

Pyrocube, maybe just look for plain Packing paper (The Brown stuff).

It should be available, and most is simmilar to kraft paper. (Just dont take the Recycled stuff). You will propably get it at the same spot where you can buy packing Paper for gifts.

Yes Col, I have made some sketches, and my question was a bit off.

I'm thinking about rollers, one idea is two driven rollers on the rolling board with a third idle roller on top to compress paper and mandrel.

But the tube will not stay in place, so I was thinking about a larger driven roller on the board.

The mandrel then fits in a fixed slot, and can move upwards as the thickness of the paper adds to the tubes OD.

A idle roller or maybe a loose board to compress it with.

How do you keep the driven roller and paper from slipping in contact? Compression?

I was thinking maybe a coat of soft rubber, skate board tape or an abrasive glued to the roller.

The better way is to drive the mandrel in a fixed position between bearings and have the rollers automatically adjust to the tube as its rolled. If the ends of mandrel can move up or down independantly it can cause the paper to track sideways, especially if you`re not using the full length of the mandrel for the tube.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

The problem is switzerland, which is not in the EU, a shippement from outside can be very pricey.

I`ve got some brown packing paper here, but its impossible to make a good tube with this, the bubbling

problem is immense.

I bought some 160g and 210g copy paper recently, there is no bubbling with this paper anymore, but it`s still quite difficult

to get a perfect tube, with so thick paper it`s hard to get it flat on the tube on the beginning so I can start rolling...

Greets

• 3 months later...

Col, what pound paper are you using? It must be pretty thick! Either that or you roll fast! ^_^ The idea of marking the rolling board is a good one!

I tried the same method you mentioned with my paper (60#, 7" wide x 22" long strip), but it almost instantly bubbles, even with straight Elmer's glue. Like dag said, I'll probably stick to what works for me, but I would love to find ways to improve upon that method.

did you ever find out what pound of paper he was using?

• 1 month later...

Hi

The problem is switzerland, which is not in the EU, a shippement from outside can be very pricey.

I`ve got some brown packing paper here, but its impossible to make a good tube with this, the bubbling

problem is immense.

I bought some 160g and 210g copy paper recently, there is no bubbling with this paper anymore, but it`s still quite difficult

to get a perfect tube, with so thick paper it`s hard to get it flat on the tube on the beginning so I can start rolling...

Greets

I have some 88gms Kraft paper. I recommend you use. 75% pva 25% water mix, and apply a very small amount when you roll. Just so the paper has a small amount of stickiness if you touch it. Leave them to dry for 6hours and they'll be solid. I use a 70cm piece of 15cm Kraft for my 20mm tubes. Solid!

I dont use pva these days as it softens with heat which can compromise the tube strength. Its easy to simulate by putting a tube in the oven at 200F ;)

70gsm pure kraft is 0.09mm thick and 88gsm is 0.113mm thick according to my micrometer. 70cm of 88gsm on a 20mm former will give you 11 turns and a wall thickness of around 1.25mm

I dont use pva these days as it softens with heat which can compromise the tube strength. Its easy to simulate by putting a tube in the oven at 200F ;)

70gsm pure kraft is 0.09mm thick and 88gsm is 0.113mm thick according to my micrometer. 70cm of 88gsm on a 20mm former will give you 11 turns and a wall thickness of around 1.25mm

I should have said. These are the tubes that I use for my 20mm cakes. Col, I've made a 28 shot 25 mm cake. I'm going to fire it this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes!

Ideal for that job. If the walls are too strong the ends tend to give way first. Having said that, horsetail breaks add a bit of variety so its all good ;)
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

This newspaper rolling machine is pretty amazing. Just takes a few seconds to create very long strong tubes. Accuracy may be a problem though.

• Like 1

Well... It's not rolling tubes, but rather it's rolling solid sticks. A small mod placing a solid rod in the center is all it takes, but at that rate you need to rebuild the whole thing to some extent. You would want to "drive" the center rod, rather then one of the compressing ones, i think.

I'd wish there were easy to understand straight forward plans for a hand cranked tube rolling machine, but ultimately, thats not a priority. I roll tubes by hand, it's slow, but it works.

B!

A rod seems like a good idea. Assuming it works with this machine, do you see any problems with using newspaper for the tubes?

Newspaper... Honestly, wouldn't know. Recycled paper is worse then paper made directly from tree's, since the fibers break in to shorter ones the more it's processed. The lignin making the paper less structurally sound over time might not be as big an issue, i mean, gluing layer on layer should laminate it to give it some strength. I also know people make hemispheres for shells out of the stuff.

This is simply guesswork, but this is how i feel about it:

If strength is a requirement. Use virgin craft paper. It's a known quality, doesn't soak through and tear, so it's a lot easier to work with. But if your stuck in a bad place, and the only paper available is newsprint, go for it.

B!

• 1 month later...
Just take some paper grocery bags, cut them to size, and smear a light coat of glue near the end and roll them around a dowel of the correct size
  • Like 1