APC Forum

Glitter/Strobe Compositions

Mumbles

It might! I dont have BaSO4 so no idea, but in theory it should work, I think it's worth a batch... report how it performes. ;)

Good luck

PyroMan ^_^

It never hurts to try, but I wouldn't have high hopes for it. It looks like it would preform better as a flash powder than a strobe. It will probably need a hot prime too.

Yes. It needs a very high temp fuel to do so though.

That is how normal AP strobes work. The AP burns as the dark phase, and when it gets to the right level or whatever, the sulfate burns with the Mg and explodes with a flash of light.

So there are plenty of other oxidizers besides the ones that are common in pyro, but are not practical or require a lot of heat to be consumed and release oxygen?

It might be easiest to just post the Word file if you were going to put it up here. I'd imagine a lot of people would be taking your list and saving it to their computers anyway.

If you go to the full reply option. I know, I usually use the fast reply too, but I think its "add reply". You can just add it as an attachment, and you are good to go.

Still copying compositions from Net and books, but no practical results, no videos.....a want more! How many times I will see veline system and lancaster published composition and winokurs again and again?

Try buying some books, or inventing your own if you want to see some more formulas. Not everything can be handed to you on a silver platter.

Keep in mind that Potassium Dichromate is poison and it WILL cause immediate contact dermatitis that is chronic and difficult to treat, it is also carcinogenic.

Look up the thread that Swede posted, parlon may be a good substitute.

D

Keep in mind that is poison and it WILL cause immediate contact dermatitis that is chronic and difficult to treat, it is also carcinogenic.

Look up the thread that Swede posted, parlon may be a good substitute.

D

:excl: Good and noteworthy caution dagabu, however the Potassium Dichromate and Parlon function in completely different capacities.

The DiChromate (with an AP strobe comp) is a burn rate (and flash rate) modifier and helps to protect the magnalium (assuming that is the metal present). However, there is debate that the simple addition of powdered DiChromate to a AP/MgAl strobe comp. does little to actually protect the metal from degradation. I would tend to agree.

Parlon to the best of my knowledge serves only to impart chlorine to the flame (it also acts as a fuel source) which usually isn't necessary with an AP formulation because of the chlorine which is readily available from the oxidizer.

Goofy

:excl: Good and noteworthy caution dagabu, however the Potassium Dichromate and Parlon function in completely different capacities.

The DiChromate (with an AP strobe comp) is a burn rate (and flash rate) modifier and helps to protect the magnalium (assuming that is the metal present). However, there is debate that the simple addition of powdered DiChromate to a AP/MgAl strobe comp. does little to actually protect the metal from degradation. I would tend to agree.

Parlon to the best of my knowledge serves only to impart chlorine to the flame (it also acts as a fuel source) which usually isn't necessary with an AP formulation because of the chlorine which is readily available from the oxidizer.

Goofy

I understand what you are talking about but I am thinking of the Mg coating only diluted in acetone, add Mg and dry. Theer are other safer additions to modify the burn rate and retain colors. It's just an FYI since no one that sells it tells you before you but it.

D

I was reading up on various compositions, and took some chems to my lab. I got an interesting star, Not quite a strobe, Not quite a glitter, havent viewed them in air, but maby someone could make a 100g batch, and see if you get the same results as me. if so, this would be a very interesting star composition.

Reynolds White Glitter

Potassium Perchlorate 28.5%

Potassium Nitrate 32.1%

-325 mesh Spherical Atomized Aluminum 8%

100-200 mesh Magnisium 8%

3 micron Aluminum 8%

Magnisium Sulfate 10.4%

Petroleum Jelly 2%

Red gum 3%

Grind all Oxidizers, and Magnisium Sulfate to a fine powder. Mix the Petroleum Jelly into the Oxidizer untill its fully combined/coated the oxidizer powder. Mix the metals together, and add to the Oxidizer mixture. Add the Red gum to this mix as well. wet with a slight amount of Alcohol, just enough to keep down the dust. Now mix in the NC, and a slight amount of alcohol(not much.)

(its Bound with a Mixture of NC laqure and (91%)Alcohol(roughly 75% NC 25%Alcohol))

it has an interesting effect I've not tested them in the air, they do need priming.

Edited by Twotails

• 4 months later...

I was reading up on various compositions, and took some chems to my lab. I got an interesting star, Not quite a strobe, Not quite a glitter, havent viewed them in air, but maby someone could make a 100g batch, and see if you get the same results as me. if so, this would be a very interesting star composition.

Reynolds White Glitter

XXXXXXXXX SNIP XXXXXXXXX

it has an interesting effect I've not tested them in the air, they do need priming.

I just stumbled onto this thread about 5 months later and was wondering the results of that odd formulae. Did you ever test it out twotails? is it worth buying magnesium sulfate?

• 2 months later...

could be, I have been working with the mix wich was discused here baNO3 sulphur and mgal base, when I used fine mgal it was just burning brightly but now I got some 40-80mesh mgal wich is the best for strobes now it works perfectly I made 50g of stars with starplate 6mm wich will be used for cores... they burn slowly and one star flashes around 6 times +- and quite constantly.

I am very new here. From reading your message, you seem to understand how chemicals when mixed in correct proportions make a blinking strobe.

I want to impress a friend I have that loves that effect.

Coulw/would you tell me how to make a red one?

She is a Gypsy and to Gypsies the ruby has importance.

Could/would you tell me how to make one; what chemicals I need?

Remember, besides having chemistry in high school; my knowledge is limited.

So, please, if you do decide to give me instructions, keep them simple and safe.

wub.gif Hope you help me.

Ushie

I am very new here. From reading your message, you seem to understand how chemicals when mixed in correct proportions make a blinking strobe.

I want to impress a friend I have that loves that effect.

Coulw/would you tell me how to make a red one?

She is a Gypsy and to Gypsies the ruby has importance.

Could/would you tell me how to make one; what chemicals I need?

Remember, besides having chemistry in high school; my knowledge is limited.

So, please, if you do decide to give me instructions, keep them simple and safe.

wub.gif Hope you help me.

Ushie

This strobe is incredible but its a white strobe. The first time I shot it too. And you're joking about the gypsy right? Is your name Borat?

Barium nitrate 51 Potassium nitrate 7 Sulfur 19 Magnalium (-100 mesh) 18 Dextrin 5

Edited by pyrochris732

This strobe is incredible but its a white strobe. The first time I shot it too. And you're joking about the gypsy right? Is your name Borat?

Barium nitrate 51 Potassium nitrate 7 Sulfur 19 Magnalium (-100 mesh) 18 Dextrin 5

Thank you very much for the information.

It was very nice of you.

If I added say, some strontium nitrate or strontium carbonate; would that be safe?

Would it give it a red colour?

Who is Borat supposed to be?

My name is Ushie, like it reads on my profile.

My dad is Gypsy. Making me 1/2 Gypsy. The Gypsy people are also also known as Roma.

My friend is 100% Gypsy.

Why would you find that a joke?

There are many people of Gypsy background.

Gypsies came to America to escape Hitler.

Hitler wished to kill all the Gypsy people.

He managed to kill about one million.

Next to the Jews; the Gypsy people were the ethnic group he killed the most of.

To people of Gypsy people, the ruby, being red in colour, symbolizes blood ; the life giving liquid that flows through our veins.

Again thanks bunches!2smile.gif

Love,

Ushie

Why is it that you think that we need to know the history of your culture again? We don't, at least me.

And to your question, no those would not give it a red color, they would probably ruin the strobe making it a white star, if you wanted a red strobe you might want to look into Ammonium Perchlorate based formulas.

Why is it that you think that we need to know the history of your culture again? We don't, at least me.

And to your question, no those would not give it a red color, they would probably ruin the strobe making it a white star, if you wanted a red strobe you might want to look into Ammonium Perchlorate based formulas.

Well, I don't know who you are, nor what you are messaging me about in regards to my nationality.

I do not think being Roma is a joke, and explained to the person as to why.

I would appreciate it if you would keep your feelings regarding my nationality to yourself and kindly, if you are an empathetic person, with a helpful nature; direct me to as where I may find such ammonium perchlorate formulas. I know that ammonium perchlorate is a slow oxidizer and can visualize how it could act as a retardant in a chemical reaction.

As I mention in my profile; I am very new in this.

My background is High School chemistry.

A very close personal friend of mine really loves this hobby and she has a very creative approach to it, as well as just about anything she sets out to do. I want to learn as much as I can. I want to learn about safety, different reactions, etc. I had the notion that this site has a theme of promoting the hobby. As governmental attitudes are drifting towards the elimination of individuals being able to purchase supplies needed; I would think a person with high interests in pyrotechnics would strongly embrace one wishing to enter the field of "pyrotechnics as a hobby."

• 3 weeks later...

http://tinyurl.com/26s68p7

see link one, i dont have much experiance with strobes(bah, need me some BaNO3 and a few other things, more to the shopping list!) not trying to be a smart ass or rude, but google helps greatly

There are many people of Gypsy background.

Gypsies came to America to escape Hitler.

Hitler wished to kill all the Gypsy people.

He managed to kill about one million.

Next to the Jews; the Gypsy people were the ethnic group he killed the most of.

To people of Gypsy people, the ruby, being red in colour, symbolizes blood ; the life giving liquid that flows through our veins.

My great grandparents came from the Carpathian mountains, they were gypsies too but I dont mind a hard time or poking fun of their ancestry. Relax, enjoy the pyro.

From what I know, unless someone would care to enlighten me, the only oxidizers that make strobes are BaNO3, NH4ClO4, and I'm pretty sure SrNO3. I swear I saw a post on rec.pyro detailing a SrNO3 strobe, and I'm pretty sure Mumbles discussed it in a post a verryyy long time ago. Blast, I cant find it. Or maybe it was ukpyro.

Edit--Aha found it: http://www.pyrotubes.co.uk/apps/forums/topics/show/1985070-bengal-strobes scroll down a bit to find it.

Edited by TheEskimo

There is a thread by me in the Pyrotechnics section called "nitrate strobes" I believe that has Sr(NO3)2 strobes in it. I have some test batches, but I'm not ready to publish a final good comp.