APC Forum

Glitter/Strobe Compositions

Mumbles

I finally got some ammonium perchlorate and I want to make some white strobe stars, but the thing is that I don't want to use potassium bichromate because it's very toxic. Is there any chance of leaving it out?

I finally got some ammonium perchlorate and I want to make some white strobe stars, but the thing is that I don't want to use potassium bichromate because it's very toxic. Is there any chance of leaving it out?

Why would you use AP based comps to achieve a white strobe? This is possible with barium nitrate also.

If magnesium is intended to be used with AP, then you can´t leave the dichromate away.

Don´t want to say bichromate is harmless, but a few years ago it was listed as irritant. It´s rated very toxic because it´s found to be cancerogene. Some people seem to have no problem to mess aroung with soluble barium, while principally refusing to use dichromate or insoluble arsenic salts. Dichromate is dangerous nonetheless.

It's a little hard to tell exactly what you're talking about here. Are you discussing leaving it out of the formula, or not using it to coat the magnesium? In most cases, yes you can leave it out of the formula if it calls for it, though the frequency may change a bit. You cannot get away without coating the Mg.

Kdich is bad stuff, there are many factories that don't use Kdich at all.

Zmuro, if you want to make AP-magal-BaSO4 based strobe I think phenolic resin would be a very good binder. But you'll need pure alc to roll these stars.

This is the formula that I will be using. I tried Blesser white strobe with 80mesh MgAl, but the stars just burned with no strobing. I will use nitrocellulose lacquer for binding.

Twinkling white star #2

Magnalium, 80 mesh….......25

Ammonium perchlorate........60

Barium sulfate....................... 15

Potassium dichromate ............+5%

This is the formula that I will be using. I tried Blesser white strobe with 80mesh MgAl, but the stars just burned with no strobing. I will use nitrocellulose lacquer for binding.

Twinkling white star #2

Magnalium, 80 mesh….......25

Ammonium perchlorate........60

Barium sulfate....................... 15

Potassium dichromate ............+5%

If you are making this composition, there are a few things to remember.Make sure your Mg/al is treated, Use shimizu's #8 twinkler igniter prime about 1 to 2 mm thick, and use a final layer of BP prime to ensure ignition.

This is a quotation from Skylighters newsletter on strobe pots:

Shimizu does state that if there is any reaction between magnalium and ammonium perchlorate, which would be encouraged by the presence of water, it would only be a slow reaction in which the metal is affected gradually.

I have used untreated magnalium in these formulas, with no problems. One sign of an unwanted reaction would be the heating-up of the composition as I'm working with it, so I always pay attention to see if that is occurring. I avoid adding any water to such a composition. I also don't store these devices for long periods of time, which could produce a slow reaction of the ingredients, especially in the presence of moisture.

I will try to make 10g batch and see whether it works or not. :blink:

Does anyone know if the Dichromate(in the above formula) Increases, or decreases the strobe rate? What im getting at here, is there a possability that you could substitute another(possably less harful chemical, although I have no problem working with dichromate) for a similer effect? Edited by Twotails

It increases the strobe rate probably a little bit. It'd be hard to tell without two side by side tests. You could probably use copper oxide or oxychloride but probably not needed. Honestly, now seeing the formula and thinking about it, I bet it's just in there as a stabilizer. As the quote says the mix without the dichromate there wasn't a reaction, but he (presumably Ned) used them fairly quickly. Without the dichromate the shelf life may be somewhat limited. I doubt they'll spontaneously combust, but just wont remain consistent.

Does anyone know if the Dichromate(in the above formula) Increases, or decreases the strobe rate? What im getting at here, is there a possability that you could substitute another(possably less harful chemical, although I have no problem working with dichromate) for a similer effect?

Twotails,

If I'm not mistaken, the strobe rate is determined by the partical size of the Magnalium.The dichromate in the formula only acts as a stabilizer.Treating the Mg or Mg/al with dichromate protects the metal from any moisture which you can store for longer periods as I have.Once you treat your metal you have to go through the process of screening and breaking up the clumps and releasing toxic dust in the air. I think next time I will do this outside.