APC Forum

Glitter/Strobe Compositions

Mumbles

OT but, what type of camera are you using pyroman? It captures the colors very well.

I am using MINOLTA Dimage Z1, 3.2mp it's quite old but, yeah for pyro works fine ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
A true blue glitter effect is most probably impossible to create!

I knew I saw blue "glitter" somewhere, it's probably a blue strobe. This video is amazing, one of the best I've ever seen. There must have been a bajillion stars and comets burned for this show-

edit: woops, the blue is at 3:20

Edited by swervedriver

WOW, just imagin all those tubes on the side of that building! Do you think that they could be matrix comets? They where really nice, sad thing is, no one gave them the credit they need! lol

• 2 weeks later...

I tried a granulated white barium nitrat strobe in a meal matrix and there was no difference to an ordinary glitter composition, so I also think the the blue strobe must be a matrix comet.

A very simple but nice golden flitter is this:

100g meal bp

20g 63µm Al (keten)

10g Sulfur

7g dextrin

Here is an example from my New Years Eve video of 2005:

It was not my decision to take this song^^

• 2 months later...
hello everybody I'm from Brazil and I am looking for the strobe composition, may be the colors that you have there, what use here in Brazil is only the green and I need other colors such as red, white, yellow if they can help me thank you.

What type is your green?

Is it Ammonium perchlorate/Barium sulfate/Magnesium, or is it Barium nitrate/Magnalium/Sulfur/Chlorine donor?

White strobes can easily be made two ways: Ammonium perchlorate/Barium(or Potassium) sulfate/Magnalium, or Barium nitrate/Sulfur/Magnalium.

Red strobes can be made by replacing Barium sulfate with Strontium sulfate, and replacing the Magnalium with Magnesium, though magnalium will work, but the red will be more on the pink side.

Yellow can be made either by replacing the Barium sulfate with Sodium sulfate in the Ammonium perchlorate formula, or adding a suitable Sodium containing molecule to the Barium nitrate based strobe.

To get exact formulas you need to search the internet. They are out there, though they may not be easy to find if you are not familiar with the network of firework information. Using the search function of this (and other forums) may give you some formulas, but even better, you will get links to other websites with formulas.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, I have never heard of a strobe with Chlorates in it.

Are you sure there is no sulfur in that mix?

but this I do not here have less sulfur than the green I do not have these materials that not only told you magnalio, chlorate of potassium, pvc, barium nitrate, a staff of 10 cm in length and 8mm in width lasts around 3 minutes on stage flashing used much in here at football matches.

This interesting green "brazilian" strobe formula seems to be the plain old Bleser green strobe, with potassium chlorate added instead of potassium nitrate, and PVC for green. I bet the chlorate makes it very ignitable. Sulphur was ommited for ovious reasons (they may have had victims among the hooligans. Yo, where did the pocket go? Oopsie, no more pants!)

As a rule, barium nitrate will strobe with magnalium, the rest (sulphur, KNO3) are just to improve the flame characteristics/ignitability.

there follows the formula weight of the strobe green.

2,400 pounds of barium nitrate

360 grams of potassium chlorate in

100 grams of pvc

500 grams of magnalio

it's a beautiful green strobe

following video of my green strobe the filming is not very good most of you have an idea of how it is. This is a tube of paper 6cm in length.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKyPQb3A9t4

I had a little experience with it... I wanted to get this formula working, but I had some same problems first it was just burning bright:

(first video) here I used -200mesh so when I got some good 40-80mesh mgal everythink worked well, I think most imtortant is to: grind all chems fine, exept mgal, weat not too much, use alcohol, and if it is burning, i'd say mgal is too fine...

White strobe Bleser's

Ba(no3)2 - 51

KNO3 - 7

Mgal (I use 40-80mesh works perfect, I think It will work till 100mesh) - 18

S - 19

dextrine - 5

25% alcohol

Hmm, so this formula wont work with 200# MgAl, at the moment that is all I am able to get..cheaply anyway, is there a way or possiblity that it sill might work?

In my experience it is too fine, I got mine 80-40mesh from a friend. You could try searching eBay for it, few days ago I tried this mix with 80-60mesh Mg It was just burning irregulary, but it might strobe when made into a small stars. If not then maybe try adding more sulphur...

hmm, so you think that 60 mesh Mg would work? I can get 60# or 140# Mg, what would be the most practical?

Bleser's strobe is supposed to be one of the best formulas as described in one of the AFN. It cuts well, it rolls, it works with a light prime, it needs small stars (as it burns slow) etc. Still, some have difficulty in making it work.

In my experience, the flashes make a "sizzling sound"; that suggests the size of magnalium. If it's too fine, it won't sizzle regardless the compo in which is used. So 40-60 mesh , up to maybe 100 is a must.

so far the most course mesh of MgAl I can get is 200 mesh and the most course Mg I can find i 60 mesh

Will subbing the MgAl for Mg in this comp still let it be able to work correctly? I want to use these as star cores really.