APC Forum

"Saxon" challenge

allrocketspsl

Using a slower burning comp (less thrust) would allow for longer burn times

You could use higher trust comps to get things started, once you overcome inertia it takes less to keep it moving

Girandola builders use a similar method, except in reverse using low thrust gerbs for effects and to get things moving, then the high powered motors kick in for launch

Cheers for that Algenco,

I used a similar idea on the 6 driver colour wheel except i incorporated a short core with cool fuel and a solid grain with hot fuel after it so they were pretty much coreburner rockets with a hot delay.

According to the driver testing these drivers will burn for 7.5-8 seconds each, the sparks were a good 6-8ft high. The vents will be smaller at ignition to provide maximum thrust initially but perhaps progressively decreasing if / when the vents enlarge.

I`m sure there`ll be enough power to start and keep the wheel spinning, the wildcard will be the fireproofing on the fusing. There are a lot of interconnections to protect, not to mention the 90 degree vents are a bit more difficult to deal with than end vents...it`ll only take one spark to mess things up :)

California,

My drivers are all at equal potential so power balancing shouldn`t be an issue. Giving away secrets is fine, my design is there for anyone daft enough to want to copy it :)

Edited by Col

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• allrocketspsl

• Col

• californiapyro

• warthog

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Table saw outside in the sunshine? lucky you, its turned decidedly winter-ish here. The saxon looks good so far, using 2 drivers on each edge should help with the fusing.

I can put my feet up and watch you work cos #2 is all done :)

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/colinspyro/2011/saxonnumbertwo.jpg

Table saw outside in the sunshine? lucky you, its turned decidedly winter-ish here. The saxon looks good so far, using 2 drivers on each edge should help with the fusing.

I can put my feet up and watch you work cos #2 is all done :)

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/colinspyro/2011/saxonnumbertwo.jpg

its to beautiful to fire up,nice work looking forward to seeing it do its thing in the gark night hours!

i`ve done everything that i can do to make sure it works as planned, we wont know for sure until a minute or so after its lit :)

Here`s a few prefire snaps http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ETk5BKuxHfs

everyone is on the edge of there seats waiting for this one,the tension builds!!!!Great work i can only hope to even come close to yours but will give it my all,just revised mine to an 8 direction since thats what was originally intended in the challenge.Stay tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok guys here`s the Saga of Saxon 2, i think i`ll be sticking with normal drivers for wheels. I`ve given it my best shot (s) but Murphy seems to have it in for me in a big way :)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=mtCy2jsALPs

they are tuff to get right,even the big boys rarely go 8 directions mate the effort is most awarding and respect we have is even more.If they were easy we wouldnt make this crap.Its always been my problem of fire exchange as well,bich to protect one from the other. Jeff

Edited by allrocketspsl

Cheers Jeff

I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge, and i got close a few times with 14 drivers and 15 pots :lol:

The initial 4 tube layout looked to be better than the octagonal layout. Having the pots facing outwards well away from the fusing helps and its probably wise not to have the matchpipe (however well protected) anywhere near hot glitter pots ;)

Cheers Jeff

I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge, and i got close a few times with 14 drivers and 15 pots :lol:

The initial 4 tube layout looked to be better than the octagonal layout. Having the pots facing outwards well away from the fusing helps and its probably wise not to have the matchpipe (however well protected) anywhere near hot glitter pots ;)

Yeah it seems no matter how you do it unless everything is far away from any possible fire the leaders to each end up getting fire at the wrong time,i made one once had it all figured,still fire got to places i had no idea it could.For me and will see soon its been awhile since I have done any wheels,the only way i get total performance is to have all fusing run along the drivers not using bm but quick fuse,I make sure the qf has a complete aluminum tape,doulbled up two layers one isnt enough.I have cut rammed four more of each to get the 8 direction so lets see what failures I bring,lol! Your colour pots showed up well even on the vid,GREAT SAXON,Jeff

Cheers Jeff

I found 4 of the 5 missing drivers, one vanished completely. I`ve decided to have another go once i get some tubes rolled and more fuel milled. This saxon malarky has eaten up the best part of 600g so far :)

The wheel generated plenty of G`s considering what it did to my 1/4" steel pivot bolt and the 3/8" od steel spacer tube .. they used to be straight

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/colinspyro/2011/saxon%20number%20two/wheelpivot.jpg

Edited by Col

Cheers Jeff

I found 4 of the 5 missing drivers, one vanished completely. I`ve decided to have another go once i get some tubes rolled and more fuel milled. This saxon malarky has eaten up the best part of 600g so far :)

The wheel generated plenty of G`s considering what it did to my 1/4" steel pivot bolt and the 3/8" od steel spacer tube .. they used to be straight

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/colinspyro/2011/saxon%20number%20two/wheelpivot.jpg

damn,that takes alot to bend steel,I had a driver once flew up into the night sky a red magnalium one burns hot as hell thought it would burn all of florida down but it landed as i watched two blocks away in the middle of a intersection and a car just went through the stop sign to avid,he must have seen a UFO heading his way,lol! Now im out with the gators so if sometning goes wrong Im surrounded by water,like a jetty1 Just finished lining up the saxons have to make some "CTFC" for orders stay tuned be green be safe,jeff

I`m not sure how the bolt got bent, i checked the wheel was free spinning in both directions before lighting the fuse. I can only think the heat from the passfires of the rear mounted drivers acted as rotary oxyacetylene cutters on the spacer and the bolt.

The skate bearing was located on the threaded part of the bolt, tightened up with a spanner against the 1/4" nut in the pic,(it wasn`t going anywhere). The back end of the rear drivers would have been directly inline with the bend point so it was probably a combination of heat weakening the bolt and the weight of the wheel doing the rest.. mystery solved :)

I`m not sure how the bolt got bent, i checked the wheel was free spinning in both directions before lighting the fuse. I can only think the heat from the passfires of the rear mounted drivers acted as rotary oxyacetylene cutters on the spacer and the bolt.

The skate bearing was located on the threaded part of the bolt, tightened up with a spanner against the 1/4" nut in the pic,(it wasn`t going anywhere). The back end of the rear drivers would have been directly inline with the bend point so it was probably a combination of heat weakening the bolt and the weight of the wheel doing the rest.. mystery solved :)

just in case i went for a 1/2 grade 8 bolt lots of strength.

• 2 weeks later...

*bump*

well unfortunately with school and whatnot it looks like I will not be able to make another entry unless a miracle occurs. sigh. allrockets, how is your entry coming and who is currently in the lead?

*bump*

well unfortunately with school and whatnot it looks like I will not be able to make another entry unless a miracle occurs. sigh. allrockets, how is your entry coming and who is currently in the lead?

pisses me off I never got one built stay tuned I will

Edited by allrocketspsl

hmm i see... thats a bummer :( well good luck on those! going to declare a winner tomorrow?

Cheers california, neither of us managed to make a perfect 8-direction change saxon but it was fun trying. I plan to have another bash but with xmas and new year looming its all about time constraints. I still have hundreds of lance tubes to fill, mount and fuse before the 29th.

Hi Jeff, i`ve never won any kind of pyro competition before so i`m well chuffed, thankyou :) Don`t worry about the prize mate, it`ll cost a packet to send it across the pond and royal mail will prolly only lose it.

If you like, you can send it to californiapyro as he seems to be fairly local to you (2700mls lol)..call it an early xmas prezzy ;)

Edited by Col

haha yes, far from perfect... i plan to try to perfect these in the future :) theyre fun! ah and thanks col that's very generous :) however I already have a CTFC, if you can find a way to get it to you I recomment accepting it, it's a neat little gadget to have around (especially for free ;) ). thanks for the fun competition allrockets!

and congratulations col btw :D

• 1 month later...
Looks good. What did you make it out of? And don't just say wood. :rolleyes:

I was refering more to size of wood. (Here come the jokes) LOL.