APC Forum

The Joys of Metal Casings

Swany

Not being a moderator, but I think we should all just leave this discussion behind us. Ralph is attempting his best to fix up his posts and I think that's all we can ask of people. It may be hard to read his posts but I'm sure he will show significant improvement in the future. Just felt like I had to say this, thank you. Edited by Gunzway

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rocket

• Ralph

• maximusg

• pyrochris

KNO3 isn't correct either KNO3 is correct.

p.s. haven't you got some one elces personal life to pry into i am a normal person who just cant read or write very well it isn't a crime and is most certainly not an indication of my abilities as a pyro

i taught this thread was titled APC Forum > Pyrotechnics > Safety > The Joys of Metal Casings not 2/3 APC Forum > Pyrotechnics > Safety > The Joys of Metal Casings and 1/3 ralphs problems with spelling and grammar. thats right i counted 32 posts about the topic and 15 about me.

Ok, can we drop this now? I think he gets the point. I'm confident he will work on it, and hopefully we will see a improvement in the near future. Constantly bringing this up helps absolutely nothing except making this a far less friendly environment.

• 2 weeks later...

Those pictures are disturbing, especially knowing that the guy who had the M-80 go off in his hand will never be able to use it again for the rest of his life, even with today's medical care.

This just reaffirms the point that metal has no place whatsoever in pyrotechnics. Paper, cardboard and plastic can give you all the strength and compression you need in pyrotechnics. I don't even like using steel mortar tubes, considering fiberglass alternatives exist. There's a good reason hand grenades are metal, and it's so that they fragment and cause shrapnel injury.

Those pictures are disturbing, especially knowing that the guy who had the M-80 go off in his hand will never be able to use it again for the rest of his life, even with today's medical care.

This just reaffirms the point that metal has no place whatsoever in pyrotechnics. Paper, cardboard and plastic can give you all the strength and compression you need in pyrotechnics. I don't even like using steel mortar tubes, considering fiberglass alternatives exist. There's a good reason hand grenades are metal, and it's so that they fragment and cause shrapnel injury.

I even dislike using plastic in pyrotechnics. For reasons such as: It still gives shrapnel, static electricity and it's harder than cardboard. I am also not too keen on fiber-glass, from what I've read you can still have a decent sized piece flying at you. It won't be shrapnel, but you'll get hurt/injured. You can get away with these things but cardboard and HDPE are available for me so I rather just go with them.

Pictures of blown apart people don't bother me anymore, I like the way that m-80 ripped the flesh off that guys index finger.

You can tell where he was holding it when it went off :)

Pictures of blown apart people don't bother me anymore, I like the way that m-80 ripped the flesh off that guys index finger.

You can tell where he was holding it when it went off :)

Join the club! I find it interesting. I actually was eating while I viewed the picture if I remember correctly, it has it's benefits being de-sensitized to gore. If your friend has a bad accident, you won't just stand there in shock or disgust. I'm pretty casual about pictures like that; who wouldn't be if you've been on the internet for more than a year? It also might of been watching all those medicinal shows when I was six or something.

I find that I'm usually more squeamish looking at the pictures then I would be IRL strangely enough. Anybody have a clue as to why? I can't think of any reason, perhaps adrenaline if you are in the middle of it makes you numb a bit.

I also have a harder time looking at someone else getting hurt or having a bad cut then looking at my own cuts and so on. I had a few bad cuts in my arms and legs a couple of years ago that they had to dress(?) them every other day.

Sitting in the doctors office with a doctor poking and cleaning just made me curious, looking at the different layers that the skin is made up of and the muscles underneath. A few years after that I was dressing up the wound of a man that had his big toe and a portion of the foot amputated, looking at that made me a bit queasy though. His cut wasn't that bad so my reaction is still a little strange to me.

I find that I'm usually more squeamish looking at the pictures then I would be IRL strangely enough.

Speaking of looking how ya feeling?

Speaking of looking how ya feeling?

He, he. No problem now, it's over and done with but I for one will never do it again. Bets 10 bucks ever invested, bought a welding mask. Hope that someone else will learn from my mistake instead of finding out first hand.