APC Forum

problem kno3/sugar rocket

THEONE

This programme doesnt give informations about the mm nozzle core mm-length etc :wacko:

Thanks boys for their valuable help you give to me,

I have one more question, lets say that a motor have a success launch with 20mm casing, core mm-length... nozzle.....

if now i take a 30mm casing and same core mm-length... nozzle.... same fuel.... it will fly successfully ?

Yes, it should, so long as your 20mm rocket proves it can lift the extra weight. When you shoot shells or other payloads on top of rockets, any comp on top of the spindle is just the delay, so you can alter that pretty much however you like. Though if you make it too long, your rocket might fall to the ground still burning.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• THEONE

• dagabu

• donperry

• Mumbles

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The rocket tool sketcher wont do sugar as he is interested in. Most people use commonly available published materials on the matter. They've become quite standard by now. Since you seem to be primarily interested in sugar rockets, I'd suggest reading more from James Yawn, and Richard Nakka. The more you read and learn, you should be able to answer your own questions.

http://www.jamesyawn.net/

http://www.nakka-rocketry.net/

I would like to push him to use standard tooling on his sugar rockets, BP tooling does a fine job of creating needed pressures for R-candy rockets with a catalyst.

How this is possible ?
and this videos have almost the same but in the first video the rocket have a longer core!!!, how this is possible ? normally he must have a CATO because of the bigger core, correct ?... Edited by THEONE

How this is possible ?

and this videos have almost the same but in the first video the rocket have a longer core!!!, how this is possible ? normally he must have a CATO because of the bigger core, correct ?...

these are only a guess

the first had a small diameter pipe and large nozzle for its size [because it is light it flies] the fuel burns to the walls pretty fast and doesnt sustain pressure for that long

the second looks like pressure rated pvc pipe [i think 400 psi from air cannon experience] this will hold pressure better with a small for its id nozzle

again just a guess im no expert

hope you get airborn soon mate

dan

I would think it is because the second rocket is no where near the CATO threshold. Thus you can beef it up a little bit without having to worry.

It would be a great advantage if the RTS would have an option to incorporate the type of fuel.

OK, everybodys BP is different. But a even a rough estimate would be a help. And a sugar fuel option would make it perfect...

It would be a great advantage if the RTS would have an option to incorporate the type of fuel.

OK, everybodys BP is different. But a even a rough estimate would be a help. And a sugar fuel option would make it perfect...

Shorten the spindle as necessary.

post-9798-0-98293800-1301515370_thumb.jpg

Edited by dagabu

I will be able to look for a 1 inch PVC pipe because my dowel is 24mm, so i think it will be perfect but, I think boys that the stronger motor you have the better it will be, because it can accept more pressure so it minimize the possibility the engine do CATO correct ? so i am thinking that maybe it is better to use something like cement or something like this, than the cat litter...like they do with big motors Edited by THEONE

The One,

Please post the pictures of your injuries after you have completed your pipe bomb on a stick.

1.) No PVC

2.) No metals

3.) No rocks, cement etc.

I gues your homemade tubes are the problem. For rockets you need really strong ones.

PVC pipe

Works quite well, but you need far more distance to your Rocket as seen in your videos. I believe that If you treat it like you would treat a pipe bomb you are relatively safe. Just keep your distance and watch out for other people around.

And you should not use anything else than betonite for the nozzle, because it works as predetermined breaking point, if the nozzle section isn't to long/strong. If your nozzle fails, your rocket may even continiue it's flight as a nozzleless one, but it's less likely to explode.

PVC Pipes seem to be accepted in amateur rocketry, but for the sake of pyro there seems to be no proper substitute to high quality parallel wound paper tubes, intended for rockets.

If you can get them in your country, try them.

Edit:

my last succesfull sorbitol Rocket had

-21mm id

-8mm core and nozzle,

-100mm long core

-65/35 Sorbitol fuel with +1% red iron oxide, carfully mixed, molten and casted into the motor.

Didn't have much power.

I had more succes with BP.

Edited by mabuse00

I will look for PVC pipe and i will put betonite for the nozzle, so if something happens the bentonite will comes out... no the pipe explode...

if something happens the bentonite will comes out... no the pipe explode...

But please never trust in that. As i wrote, always treat it like a pipe bomb.

Use a long fuse, get far away, and watch out for others who are not aware of whats going on...

Better get parallel wound papertubes, there much safer. Last week my first 1lb coreburner catoed - a massive blast that really rocked the szene. Stunning. The tube was totally shred, but no part flew farther than about 3m.

Can somebody white to me how must be a perfect nozzle and the degreeses with a contour?

One

Check out this link It has tons of info and videos aobut how to make small sugar rockets.

Steve

One

Check out this link It has tons of info and videos aobut how to make small sugar rockets.

Steve

I am sorry my frient but you dont help me...

Many people don't use any de Laval style nozzle, the just drill a plain hole and it seems to work fine.

I mean, if you don't have any succes at all you should not bother about few percent effeciency...

Check out the RTS, for coreburners it always proposes 45° entry and 30° exit.

Edited by mabuse00

Many people don't use any de Laval style nozzle, the just drill a plain hole and it seems to work fine.

I mean, if you don't have any succes at all you should not bother about few percent effeciency...

Check out the RTS, for coreburners it always proposes 45° entry and 30° exit.

Yes but wich corner is 45 and wich 30. the nozzle have very much corners...

Also i here than the smaller corner the better it will be...

If you look at the tooling sketcher, I bet you could figure out which angle is which.

Also something else, kno3 is hygroscopic ? also how we can avoid this into the motor engine, if i want to make a motor today and i want to test it after 7 days...

KNO3 is only slightly hygroscopic. Storing the engine even for months is no problem. If your KNO3 is absorbing water it could be contaminated with NaNO3 which is much more hygroscopic.

KNO3 is only slightly hygroscopic. Storing the engine even for months is no problem. If your KNO3 is absorbing water it could be contaminated with NaNO3 which is much more hygroscopic.

Not only KNO3 but also rcandy because 0f sugar...

Also rcandy is more powerful than BP or not?

Edited by THEONE

Rcandy is heavier than BP but works in all rocket sizes.

BP burns hotter and leaves a trail visible at night. BP is not suited for anything beyond F class rockets.

BP rockets are EASIER to ignite as BP is more catchy than rcandy

I made rCandy and BP rockets with same casing. The BP rocket was 177g (or 171g don't remember) and the candy was 220g.

I've had more CATO with Rcandy than Black powder. MY advice for paper tubers is to use strong paper and thick walls with enough clay for nozzle and bulkhead.

When my Rcandy is really well made it goes "voom" when lit - Faster than my green mix BP.

MY Rcandy is not cast but is powdered after it had hardened.

I cook and then make it into powder so i can ram it

Only problem is that it's hygroscopic and that affects burn rate.

Stand clear when launching PVC rockets. Don't follow the guys you see on youtube.

Edited by donperry

BP burns hotter and leaves a trail visible at night. BP is not suited for anything beyond F class rockets.

Why? I was making and flying *J sized motors in R-candy, APCP and BP a decade ago with no issues. Dark sky launches are a boring with R-candy motors.

*D sized motors max out at just under 1" ID, or a 3# motor. 12# motors are 38mm which are equal to an I class motor.

*Equivalent Impulse Seconds

Can i ask something else ? it is necessary to add multiple rcandy grains into the casing or you can add also one big grain ?