APC Forum

problem kno3/sugar rocket

THEONE

I have never used a rcandy rocket with a nozzle, I want to try..., but I want to make a kno3/sugar rocket motor. Rocket candy is a KNO3/sugar rocket

No as I said before, when i use 5mm nozzle I have CATO and when I use 6mm nozzle the rocket flys but not very far it didnt go to the sky but goes strait, it doesnt have enough thrust. I thin when the rocket have good thrust the nozzle cant stay as it was Try a thicker nozzle, and/or, put a slope on your rammer... So your nozzle will help direct gasses out the hole, instead of pushing the nozzle out. Also make SURE you packing your clay in hard.

Also something else, can I put red iron oxide into the knoe/sugar powdered mix ? (no cooking) I think so.

That second video is James Yawn's. I think it is the single best video tutorial on R-candy that I have ever seen and I make mine exactly the same way but I make around 1000g at a time.

Why I posted it [=, and NHIL is awesome.

Edited by Updup

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• THEONE

• dagabu

• donperry

• Mumbles

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That second video is James Yawn's. I think it is the single best video tutorial on R-candy that I have ever seen and I make mine exactly the same way but I make around 1000g at a time. Also, while red iron oxide works well to increase the burn rate, so do others such as copper oxychloride.

I use a 5mm (3/16") nozzle on a 25mm (1") casing for R-candy with no catalyst and 7mm (1/4") with red iron oxide.

I cant find corn syro, but exept than i want to make a kno3/sugar powdered mix propellant rocket, no rcandy propellent rocket

Pyrotechnician you can make a sugar-rocket motor without useing rcandy, but a kno3/powdered sugar

propellent

Edited by THEONE

Look for: High-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) or glucose-fructose syrup or glucose/fructose. You will find it in the area of a grocery store where you also find sugar, white flower and baking soda. It will be in a bottle and will be a light yellow color.

I will try first a 65/35 kno3/sugar rcandy without red iron oxide, i will make a 24mm and 7-8cm long grain with 5mm core, and a 1,5cm long nozzle with 6mm diametre.

I will try first a 65/35 kno3/sugar rcandy without red iron oxide, i will make a 24mm and 7-8cm long grain with 5mm core, and a 1,5cm long nozzle with 6mm diametre.

I noticed that your using a pretty short piece of paper to roll your tubes from and you are also using aluminum foil for a fire block. I would loose the aluminum foil and use paper about four times the length to make a tube no thinner then 1/8" (4mm) so that it can take the pressure you are putting on it. Also, you need a way to make a reinforcement sleeve to keep the tube from splitting when you pound your nozzle and bulkhead.

post-9798-0-70375700-1301154442_thumb.jpg

I noticed that your using a pretty short piece of paper to roll your tubes from and you are also using aluminum foil for a fire block. I would loose the aluminum foil and use paper about four times the length to make a tube no thinner then 1/8" (4mm) so that it can take the pressure you are putting on it. Also, you need a way to make a reinforcement sleeve to keep the tube from splitting when you pound your nozzle and bulkhead.

No i dont think so, the foil helps me too much, exept that it helps against the fire, it helps also the tube to not open because the foil is very strong and it is aslo light

No i dont think so, the foil helps me too much, exept that it helps against the fire, it helps also the tube to not open because the foil is very strong and it is aslo light

I can tear foil with my fingernail. It's doing nothing to prevent your tube from splitting, I assure you. PVC and hose clamps is such an easy thing to do, just try it.

I can tear foil with my fingernail. It's doing nothing to prevent your tube from splitting, I assure you. PVC and hose clamps is such an easy thing to do, just try it.

Wy boys, the last thing where i change is the my casing. I thing is very good, i have never problem about my casing. somewere else is the problem

Edited by THEONE

Wy boys, the last thing where i change is the my casing. I thing is very good, i have never problem about my casing. somewere else is the problem

Then I am done helping you on this project. The casing walls are critical to preventing CATO. Good luck...

Then I am done helping you on this project. The casing walls are critical to preventing CATO. Good luck...

OK my friend i am sorry, now i tried thise were we speak before, i make rcandy with 5mm core and 6mm nozzle and a hade a CATO. i think the probles is the nozzle, i will tray to make it biger, about 3cm, and i will drill it round 2cm.

When i try it with kno3/sugar CATO it doesent comes but it doesent have enough thrust to fly hi, now i put rcandy and CATO cames so i think the nozzle is very week...

It was actually posted here quite some time ago by Jason, so it should be okay. The copyright seems to make it okay too. I haven't heard from him in a long time, I wonder how he's doing.

I cooked up some sorbitol/kno3/red iron oxide last night. I cant see how people say you can pour that stuff, it was more like hot peanut butter, I did manage to press it into a couple tubes we will see how it flies tonight. The dry mix rammed with 1/8th nozzle and core flew fine in both 8oz and 1# tubes (cheap spiral ). What was left over is drying on a sheet of foil, Im gonna grate it up and see how it does rammed.

Steve

I cooked up some sorbitol/kno3/red iron oxide last night. I cant see how people say you can pour that stuff, it was more like hot peanut butter, I did manage to press it into a couple tubes we will see how it flies tonight. The dry mix rammed with 1/8th nozzle and core flew fine in both 8oz and 1# tubes (cheap spiral ). What was left over is drying on a sheet of foil, Im gonna grate it up and see how it does rammed.

Steve

The Karo syrup helps immensely with pouring the first grain but as you have found, air pockets start to form, the "pour" is uneven and its a mess, I suggest grating the fuel while it is still very warm, once it is cool, its is pretty darn hard and will try your patience. You will want to immediately store any of this fuel in a sealed container with desiccant.

Boys, can i ask something, if you have a successful motor with ...mm nozzle ....mm core etc, if you will increase the length of your casing-rocket, you can use the same mm of nozzle-core-... etc ? Edited by THEONE

Not necessarily. If you took an end burner nozzle and core diameters and extended the core length, it would likely start to cato pretty soon. Longer cores generally require slower fuels, or larger nozzles (or both)

Not necessarily. If you took an end burner nozzle and core diameters and extended the core length, it would likely start to cato pretty soon. Longer cores generally require slower fuels, or larger nozzles (or both)

And what about end burner rockets ?

What about them? They typically have smaller nozzles and stronger fuel. Sugar fuel is typically not strong enough to work in an end burner configuration.

Boys, can i ask something, if you have a successful motor with ...mm nozzle ....mm core etc, if you will increase the length of your casing-rocket, you can use the same mm of nozzle-core-... etc ?

Mum, I think he is asking if you can just use a longer tube and put more fuel on top of the spindle, like a delay. If not, then sorry :blush:

Mum, I think he is asking if you can just use a longer tube and put more fuel on top of the spindle, like a delay. If not, then sorry :blush:

So maybe that is the reason were my engines do CATO, maybe i have a very long core and a small nozzle...

Boys, can ask something else ? How people where they make rocket motors know exactly how much the nozzle-core-core length must me ? I thing to find this corrects thinks you must try and try again by changing the length of the core and the mm of the core-nozzle, correct ?

The rocket tool sketcher wont do sugar as he is interested in. Most people use commonly available published materials on the matter. They've become quite standard by now. Since you seem to be primarily interested in sugar rockets, I'd suggest reading more from James Yawn, and Richard Nakka. The more you read and learn, you should be able to answer your own questions.

http://www.jamesyawn.net/

http://www.nakka-rocketry.net/

I use a tool called "rocket tool sketcher", I input the information and it gives me all of the dimensions.

http://www.flashnet.dk/rts/

This programme doesnt give informations about the mm nozzle core mm-length etc :wacko:

Thanks boys for their valuable help you give to me,

I have one more question, lets say that a motor have a success launch with 20mm casing, core mm-length... nozzle.....

if now i take a 30mm casing and same core mm-length... nozzle.... same fuel.... it will fly successfully ?

Edited by THEONE