• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Algenco

• Mumbles

• dan999ification

• taiwanluthiers

I just made a pound of paulownia BP, and I have to say it's very similar to my balsa BP. I will have to do a frame-by-frame analysis to see which one is actually faster. I am using a very large granulation on both, because I have shattered mortars with smaller granulations. I would say my current shell-lifting granulation is about equivalent to 1FA

I've heard that despite being frighteningly fast, Balsa actually has a lower gas production compared to some other woods. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm really not sure how it was observed/calculated actually.

that would certainly make sense. I have noticed a smaller flame envelope in my granulated balsa versus paulownia, i'm not sure if that holds any merit in determining gas production. I suppose the most definitive "common testing method" could be a piston test on high-speed camera.

• 5 weeks later...

i made some balsa charcoal, very voluminous, 15g fills a cup the willow takes 45g to fill so about 3 times denser,the question is.. Should airfloat balsa feel oily? It is very silky to touch but it is clumpy not like my willow which flows a bit like water, the balsa may be undercooked or under milled but i can hardly see a particle of it when rubbed between finger and thumb, should it feel oily?

Dan.

I was handed a whole box of paulownia at PGI by a very kind man. I am ball milling it up tonight with hopes of breaking ball shells with NO booster in them this weekend. Ned Gorski has completely stopped boosting large ball shells since this same kind soul turned him on to it. I just love the idea of a weed providing such a great BP.

-dag

I was handed a whole box of paulownia at PGI by a very kind man. I am ball milling it up tonight with hopes of breaking ball shells with NO booster in them this weekend. Ned Gorski has completely stopped boosting large ball shells since this same kind soul turned him on to it. I just love the idea of a weed providing such a great BP.

-dag

aw shucks

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr47/Algenco/cartoons/blush.gif

It's amazing what powerful BP can be made with Paulownia, there are other woods that can be used to make very fast BP, but Paulownia seems to produce more gasses producing very strong breaks and lift.

We are finding that when used for lift much less is needed.

When compared to Goex about 60%is all that's needed to achieve the same heights/ flight times

I'll be busy cutting trees soon :)

Sadly, I lost a good friend and will be going to his funeral on Saturday so no shells this weekend. Maybe this fall.

-dag

i will have to find some paulownia wood or grow some, is it true it can grow 20ft in the first year?

Speaking of weeds has anyone tried japanese knot weed charcoal? I dont know how it compares to paulownia but it is faster than willow from what ive seen, im cutting some this weekend, i know a few uk members that have used it as a booster with promising results.

So does balsa feel oily or is it my batch? I cant test it for some weeks and am worried about the burn rate being slow due to the oily feel.

Dan.

Sorry to hear of your loss dag.

was the kind man dressed as the charcoal fairy?

Dan.

thanks al, reasuring after all the work and cost, i was going to make some more.

Dan.

• 4 weeks later...

I live in california and use palm tree stems to make charcoal - light, hard and makes really fast bp

you can find the palm branches lying along the street everywhere.

Edit: i spelled lying wrong

Edited by spoonski

Just to be silly, I wonder if Ebony will make good charcoal... I am guessing not (I won't try it, ebony is more valuable as wood than as charcoal) due to its very high density.

it is the only wood that sinks, which palm? The outer bark looks good for sparks.

Dan.

• 2 months later...
Just purchased some balsa from the link dag posted. Great prices, order about $14 of wood which is 6.5 cubic feet of shavings and saw dust but (the company estimated) aprox $40 for shipping! :o I thought he was joking... I pay less then that for $300 worth of different chemicals. I haven’t shopped around much for balsa. Ill post if I can find something cheaper.

Speaking of Paulownia charcoals ,I to have been really enjoying building shells with that alone as the burst( no boosters with the P-b.p) . Hot stuff not doubt. It however does hog up the powder cup due to its fluffy nature.

I found that "most " fruit trees" offer great charcoal for both really hot bp, and good spark charcoal. Apple = better/ best for both. Plum is supposedly some really speedy stuff as well.

Speaking of Paulownia charcoals ,I to have been really enjoying building shells with that alone as the burst( no boosters with the P-b.p) . Hot stuff not doubt. It however does hog up the powder cup due to its fluffy nature.

I found that "most " fruit trees" offer great charcoal for both really hot bp, and good spark charcoal. Apple = better/ best for both. Plum is supposedly some really speedy stuff as well.

I would call them decent at best, BP made with Apple isn't half the strength of Paulownia or Balsa

I would call them decent at best, BP made with Apple isn't half the strength of Paulownia or Balsa

I like to use Dan Creagans site to compare charcoals

Dan is very thourough in keeping records.

All tests are performed the same from milling, granulating, burning,etc

Some results will be different if an effeicient ball mill is used ( tests use a harbor freight mill)

You are correct about apple being slower , I was claiming it was good for both spark and bp. Mostly sparks, for charcoal stars, but it does make good bp. The Plum on the other hand is claimed by PT# 17 ( pg 20) to be faster than paulownia . This article is a great resource for the charcoals and there respective speed/power/spark formation. Edited by pyrojig

An older member here, Andyboy, tested plum a number of years ago. He said it was very fast, but I don't know what else he had on hand to compare it against. He also posted a mildly frightening photo of him without a shirt and holding an axe, while chopping down the tree. He was a rather imposing nordic man.