APC Forum

Anyone wear fire resistant clothes?

Skycastlefish

No, the Nomex will not melt to your skin like polyester and other synthetic fabrics. For handlighting and structural firefighting, we wear nomex hoods right on our face. The material will burn if you hold a flame to it, but it will not keep burning when the flame is removed or spread the flame further. A few years ago, I had a star trapped to my face by a shield and resting on the nomex hood. I had a 2nd degree burn that looked like a burn from a cigarette on my cheek, the scare was way worse than the burn - thanks to proper PPE.

It is important to wear cotton undergarments under the nomex. Gym shorts or athletic shirts with polyester in them will melt to your skin, been there with a brother firefighter being debrided in the burn center to get the melted fibers out of your skin. I would not wish those procedures on my worst enemy. There are disposable cotton glove liners you can wear if you choose. I don't have any issue with nomex against my skin other than discomfort because it does not allow your skin to breathe. The cotton liners we use at work are fingerless and they really help when your palms sweat and you have nitrile gloves. Most medical supply companies should have them, but I would not think they are necessary for pyro use.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dagabu

• viziers

• Arthur

• Skycastlefish