• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dagabu

• viziers

• Arthur

• Skycastlefish

You know, I was thinking the same thing on it made from Ammonium salts.

There are quite a few homemade fireproofing/resistance mixtures containing ammonium salts. The ammonia released suffocates the flame. I don't know how well they'd work for paper or tube fireproofing, but it never hurts to try. I usually wear heavy cotton apparel if I am hand firing. For club shoots I wear long sleeves and jeans, but I'm usually pretty far away from the mortars when they go off.

http://chestofbooks.com/reference/Henley-s-20th-Century-Formulas-Recipes-Processes-Vol2/Fireproofing-For-Textiles.html

This stuff is rated for paper as well. I have to test all fabrics and paper that is covering our walls annually and it has to self extinguish or it cant be used. I have never taken any home and this would go back to the fund from where it was purchased so I don't have any pyro experience with it.

So these types of things could be used to treat something like a cotton field jacket without really changing the feel of the fabric or irritating your skin? Man that would be really handy.

Nope, this stuff does not irritate at all. There are at least 100 plus costumes that are worn by kids as young as 7 in our program that wear cloth with this spray on it.

You literally cant tell it was put on the cloth after it dries. I apply it to my employees cotton gloves for when they are changing light bulbs.

Wow. That is beyond awesome. I'm not around a whole bunch of firey stuff, but nonetheless, treating a couple sets of fatigues just plain makes sense for us folks with uh...diverse hobbies. I'll probably throw in with a couple buddies who would appreciate such things.

(Would have been great back when I made shell cores...nothing like burning through a heavy cotton glove with a sweaty hand underneath)

Edited by jwitt

Wow. That is beyond awesome. I'm not around a whole bunch of firey stuff, but nonetheless, treating a couple sets of fatigues just plain makes sense for us folks with uh...diverse hobbies. I'll probably throw in with a couple buddies who would appreciate such things.

(Would have been great back when I made shell cores...nothing like burning through a heavy cotton glove with a sweaty hand underneath)

Not sure if this will help much with that. This simply allows a layer of char to extinguish the fire but does nothing against heat transfer or carbonizing the cloth itself. Use leather to protect your hands, the thicker the better.

• 1 month later...
The best deal on Nomex suits is to go to an military surplus store and get a used Nomex flight suit. They come in many sizes, are made of 95% Nomex type fiber and have conductive thread included to reduce static. I have picked them up for $35 - $50. On the 4th or other hot days, you can wear cotton shorts and T-shirt for set up and then fir firing, put on the flight suit, zip it, put on leather boots and a hard hat and be ready to hand light. When I started, most people here wore long sleeve cotton T-shirts and cotton jeans to fire, but quite a few have switched to them. I used to routinely get small burns in shirts, but the suit has only a few small spots on it after almost 5 years of use (dozens of hand lit shows and many electric fired as well). It is cooler than most other options, and easy to remove after the shoot to cool off. And the many pockets are great for flashlights, flares, ear plugs, wireless remotes, etc. Given that turn out gear and other Nomex clothes can cost $100's, these are a bargain. And you can wear clean clothes under them, so it is easy to protect them from the firing, should you need to be dressed better. ( I haven't done a wedding yet, but I expect to one of these days.)

• 2 weeks later...

The best deal on Nomex suits is to go to an military surplus store and get a used Nomex flight suit. They come in many sizes, are made of 95% Nomex type fiber and have conductive thread included to reduce static. I have picked them up for $35 - $50. On the 4th or other hot days, you can wear cotton shorts and T-shirt for set up and then fir firing, put on the flight suit, zip it, put on leather boots and a hard hat and be ready to hand light. When I started, most people here wore long sleeve cotton T-shirts and cotton jeans to fire, but quite a few have switched to them. I used to routinely get small burns in shirts, but the suit has only a few small spots on it after almost 5 years of use (dozens of hand lit shows and many electric fired as well). It is cooler than most other options, and easy to remove after the shoot to cool off. And the many pockets are great for flashlights, flares, ear plugs, wireless remotes, etc. Given that turn out gear and other Nomex clothes can cost $100's, these are a bargain. And you can wear clean clothes under them, so it is easy to protect them from the firing, should you need to be dressed better. ( I haven't done a wedding yet, but I expect to one of these days.)

I agree with most of Bob's ideas, BUT for better protection, under the Nomex switch to long cotton trousers and at least a long sleeve t-shirt (possibly a long sleeved turtle neck t-shirt).

When Nomex takes a hit, it melts/scorches and tends to stick to what's underneath. Better to have cotton and not skin underneath Nomex. Do protect your skin, your survival may depend on it 2ohmy.gif!!!

I know this sounds strong but don't be lulled into a false sense of security by wearing Nomex alone. It must be worn properly.

WSMcool2.gif

I usually wear structural firefighter turn out gear and gloves when I handfire. Sometimes I just wear the coat, without the moisture barrier liner, and all cotton clothes underneath. For safety spark and flash fire protection is my biggest concern, with some protection around my core and face for shrapnel. I also wear a fire helmet with the nomex hood to protect my neck from flaming QM leaders and the lift charge. I've damaged my ears, so I also wear a pair of ear plugs with shooting earmuffs over the top. If I didn't have access to turnout gear, I would probably buy wildland fire turnout gear. It is cheaper, more comfortable and maneuverable for working outside.

As was mentioned above, it is very important to wear clothes with 100% natural fibers underneath anything that is fire resistant. Even structural turnout gear which is mean to be a heat barrier for a long time will not stop synthetic fibers from melting to your skin. I know a firefighter who was caught up in a hallway when a room nearby flashed over. His gear was burned on the outside, helmet and mask melted, and his EMS pants had fibers melted to his legs. The gear did it's job and saved him from severe injuries, but weeks of treatments in the outpatient burn center were extremely painful for him.

• 7 months later...
How good is a shemagh to provide some protection? I like how it is versatility and can be use in numerous way and it is made of 100% cotton as well.

• 2 years later...

I have never tried them myself that I recall. Seems like they would be very common for manufacturing companies, etc. You can get fire retardant clothing at abatix.com at reasonable prices. Here is a link to one of their products: ["http://www.abatix.com/default.aspx?page=item+detail&itemcode=IES9013M&catlist=760" PyroGuard Coverall Elastic w/a, Sz MD] You can also buy them in bulk.

A nomex balaclava is a good investment to wear under a face shield when working with materials that have the potential to ignite while mixing.

Most face shields will allow the flame to roll around the shield and burn your face and eyes.

The main protection provided by a face shield is to deflect the blast and impact of materials from hitting your face and eyes.

Most pyro accidents create a large envelope of burning gases and materials that fill the area you are working in.

Any exposed skin will be subject to burns if not covered properly.

The only other option is a pull over flash hood that protects your entire head and these will fog over quickly from your breathing unless you use power ventilation systems attached to the pull over hood..

I always use nomex with mixing of chemicals. I got special close that i normaly wear on my work

I work with gass. And the close used are threated with chemicals. To provide sparks. ☺

• 1 month later...

Looks good, does it fit with the rest of your PPE.

There should be head protection, ear protection and eye and face protection. These should integrate with your other PPE.

It's important that PPE is easy to wear, you will fail to use PPE that's inconvenient then you have accidents.

On that website they sell , FR Pants, coats , and shirts, plus gloves and such , If your hand lighting i recemend buying the pants and long sleeve shirt , than go out and get you a pair of safety glasses ( Choose any style you want that are ANSI rated, my favorite company is Pyramex ) Make sure they arnt those pair that fall of your damn face anytime you look down. Next you will want hearing protection, personally i use shooting ear muffs. Than you will want a hard hat or some sort of head protection.

Thats all i use for hand lighting my stuff .

For manufacturing, Its all basically the same except for the hearing protection and safety glasses , depending on how much and what im working with depends on if i wear a face sheild and leather gloves.

Stay Safe and Stay Green

~Steven

Right now I have no ppe. I mostly will use it for when I make my BP and when attending the ball mill and when I am emptying it... As of now I just wear cotton shirts and jeans and use safety glasses. But with hearing of too many accidents recently I feel I need to take more precautions that way I am around longer for my 3 little ones....

vizi

For shooting I will be using my new Corbra to light anything off so I will not have to worry so much about that part... I have a ton of foam ear plugs as I use them when mowing and weed eating around the house. I do want to get a pair of gloves for handling the ball mill but read that nomex as not so great to wear against your skin. Is there a good glove out there that gives you good mobility and dexterity?

That face shield requires a hard hat to help it function property.

Thanks,

vizi

Edited by viziers

Safety gear is still important when e-firing, unless you are the rare person who is sitting outside the fallout zone with your controller. We typically set up a table for the lead about 50-75 feet from some of the racks. This lets us see the whole field and all the shooters, as most of our shows are a mix of handlighting and e-firing. When e--firing, I wear boots, blue jeans, a welding jacket, hard hat with eye and ear protection. There was one show, I was sitting at the firing panel and my parents were front and center in the spectator area. I heard a bad lift and shooter yell out "low" from a 4" rack and watch the shell plop down in front of my table. All I had time to do was duck my head and cover my face. My mom thought I blew up, my dad knew since the show didn't stop everything was fine and thought it was kinda funny. My gear took a few scorch marks from the stars, but nothing abnormal from shooting displays. This is why PPE is important, when handlighting or e-firing

I wear leather gloves for structural firefighting, because it was what I have. Leather gloves for welding would be appropriate too, if you are concerned about nomex. I wear a nomex flight suit all day for work, and other than being uncomfortably hot in the summer (and cold in the winter, go figure) , it is not irritating to my skin at all. I have also worn nomex gloves for rescue operations, such was when operating the "jaws of life" and other heavy tools. I don't find them all that bad, but since these types of PPE have been a part of my career for so long, I might not notice the discomforts like others do.

Well its not the discomfort id be worried about as that is just part of being safe (being safe isn't always comfortable) my worry will it stick to your skin if a fireball does happen like say polyester melting to your skin??

For the most part my pyro consists of the 4th with the family so pretty much I would be at the same distance sitting in a chair with family a good ways away with a water hose set up a few feet away from the firing line and a fire extinguisher next to me incase I have to dash up there...

Unfortunately I do not do or am involved any professional shows (so sad I know)....

Btw thanks as I do appreciate all the feedback!

vizi