APC Forum

My Beginning in Whistle Rocketry

Stinger

I'm still in shock at the sound of that first rocket...Way to cool :D :blink: :blink:

well i can´t say it made me bored about these engines, lots to follow :lol:

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zmuro

• dagabu

• FREAKYDUTCHMEN

• Stinger

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Absolutely amazing rockets there!! and I loved the sound of that salute, its got a nice, deep pitch. Edited by The-T

• 3 weeks later...
In one word; awesome!

Looks like they have enough power those 1lb engines.

Thanks ^_^ I used copper oxide for catalyst and pusher core tooling. The shell weigh 400g and it flew quite high.

Rolled stars, with color changing effect. Willow to red for instance. I will look it up this evening when I get home to make sure I am not spreading false information. Diadem means "crown". The effect is supposed to replicate the jewels of said crown. The effect is named after the corresponding precious stone of that color

red = ruby diadem

white = diamond diadem

green = emerald diadem

......etc

It's really not important, just nomenclature and semantics. Given what you called it, I was just expecting the color change at the end. Willow diadem makes just as much sense to me though. I tried looking up a video on youtube as an example, but nearly everyone was as you described, just a willow/brocade/crown chysanthemum shell. Perhaps my memory is deceiving me.

Most pyro's just knows willow diadem as willow with 15% ti added to it, like the one on passfire formula's. But it would be a nice effect I think, just don't make the willow layer to thick then. Edited by FREAKYDUTCHMEN

I've never heard of that terminology.. That is a pretty standard brocade formula. Despite the name, every reference I can find in my literature points to the color change effect.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe this question is doesn't concern with this topic but, does it safety pressing whistle mix (70/30 KClO3+Sodium benzoate) in 1 ton hydraulc press? Will it come to explosion?

ps. Sry for my bad english ;)

Maybe this question is doesn't concern with this topic but, does it safety pressing whistle mix (70/30 KClO3+Sodium benzoate) in 1 ton hydraulc press? Will it come to explosion?

ps. Sry for my bad english ;)

HELL NO! It is never safe. However, it is much safer then ramming. There are inherent risks to pressing whistle and there have been many accidents related to pressing whistle with tooling pinching the mix being the most likely.

It is very difficult to get all of the whistle out of the rammer and even when you think its all out, there are flakes that fall out if tapping it against something hard. In fact, the most impressive CATOs come from whistle rockets. A 6# whistle rocket makes a terrific boom and has a lot of explosive power to boot.

Your choice of 70/30 KClO3+Sodium benzoate is the least reactive of all the whistle mixes and is a good place to start. You will need a blast shield and leather gloves to start and NEVER hold the motor as you press it.

You can expect this as a minimum injury is you are holding a whistle motor when it explodes.

post-9798-1255464913_thumb.jpg

I hope it's an entry error Dagabu, but KClO3 is Potassium Chlorate. This I feel can hardly be considered a low reactivity mix.

I'd really suggest using Perchlorate KYK if you were actually intending to use chlorate. I'm sure you're not going to listen to me, and think you can handle chlorates without any problems, but you're edging the line on this stuff if you are actually intending to make chlorate whistle. Chlorate stars are one thing, but this is a composition designed to be explosive. I don't feel that one extra effect is worth the risk.

Excellent press!

One thing to keep in mind with a tooling system... it is nice to be able to do things like interchange spindles, so you can experiment with different lengths and diameters. Therefore, if you look at bases, nozzle forms, spindles, and tube supports that can be mixed and matched, it gives you the most flexibility for the $ and time.

Something like this? perhaps... the nozzle former fits into a solid base, and the spindle gets inserted through the bottom of the base. A nut threaded onto the spindles hold them in place on the bottom, and also help release them by turning the nut, which retracts the spindle.

Just a thought or two. This is 4 ounce tooling

http://www.5bears.com/firew/nrt02a.jpg

http://www.5bears.com/firew/nrt03.jpg

http://www.5bears.com/firew/nrt05.jpg

http://www.5bears.com/firew/rt002.jpg

WHOA!!!!

Swede,

Where on earth did you get this from?

Please PM me.

Dave

I hope it's an entry error Dagabu, but KClO3 is Potassium Chlorate. This I feel can hardly be considered a low reactivity mix.

I'd really suggest using Perchlorate KYK if you were actually intending to use chlorate. I'm sure you're not going to listen to me, and think you can handle chlorates without any problems, but you're edging the line on this stuff if you are actually intending to make chlorate whistle. Chlorate stars are one thing, but this is a composition designed to be explosive. I don't feel that one extra effect is worth the risk.

Yes, I am sorry "I hope it's an entry error Dagabu" it was.

Potassium perchlorate and sodium benzoate and Red Iron Oxide (lube of your choice) is what I meant.

ALL whistle is dangerous and needs to be shielded when pressed.

As far as the pic goes, it is the hand of a 13 year old boy that was holding a BP rocket motor, 1/2" in diameter that had titanium in the mix and was pinched between the spindle and the rammer. When he pounded the comp it ignited and this is what he was left with. He lost two fingers.

There was no PVC reinforcer and no hose clamps, no whistle mix and no other comps involved. His Dad suffers every day he is alive seeing what he did to his son.

Frankly, all fireworks carry risk (DUH!!) but whistle is commonly overlooked and even dismissed as hazardous.

D

Edited by dagabu

Without a doubt my extra money I have left will be invested into some very thick plexi-glass for the arbor press I need to pick up. Though I have yet to make an engine with a metal added to the mix for an extra tail effect, just the thought that I've made engines of roughly that size without a second thought in the world is scary to say the least. I have not been oblivious to other injuries and accidents caused by ramming rockets it's always been in the back of my mind that I am going to have to buy a press in the near future; but I shall be getting straight onto it and refuse to ram anything else until doing so just for a safety precaution. That picture has reminded me that I personally feel having a press for rockets is now a necessity, not just something 'nice' to have. Thanks.

Don't get plexiglass if you can avoid it, it's not the proper material. All clear plastic is not created equal. It shatters just like PVC does. The best material would be polycarbonate, Lexan, etc It behaves like HDPE does i the sense that it stretches, mekts, and doesn't shatter

Don't get plexiglass if you can avoid it, it's not the proper material. All clear plastic is not created equal. It shatters just like PVC does. The best material would be polycarbonate, Lexan, etc It behaves like HDPE does i the sense that it stretches, mekts, and doesn't shatter

I have recommended this to others, the price is alright.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FPD6CY

Dave

That picture has reminded me that I personally feel having a press for rockets is now a necessity, not just something 'nice' to have.

Agreed Gunzway. I have witnessed stupid mistakes, I have made some myself and have heard fateful tales about them... Luckily the ones I have made and the ones I have seen have not left myself or anyone with lasting injuries or anything more than slight burns for that matter. Sometimes those accidents are freak and can't be controlled and measures should be taken to try and prevent any type of accident. A blast shield, leather gloves and eye protection are just the beginning of items that could save a life...

• 2 weeks later...
I made 3lb whitle today using homemade paper tube and pusher tooling and it catoed. I used 0.3mm thick paper and the tube had 5,5mm wall and steel pipe support sleeve. How could I solve my problem?

I made 3lb whitle today using homemade paper tube and pusher tooling and it catoed. I used 0.3mm thick paper and the tube had 5,5mm wall and steel pipe support sleeve. How could I solve my problem?

Buy the tubes from Hobbyhorse.com. Jim carries the heavy walled tubes needed for whistle rockets.

D