APC Forum

Youtube

Seymour

Yes, we can allow them.

But AFAIK this software doesn't have the required code to actually play them. Anyone wanting to view it would have to download it.

Not 100% sure about that, or whether you'd need to put the file in the Downloads instead of the Gallery.

And are you sure you mean .MOD files, and not .MOV ??

Let me know for sure which one(s) you need and I'll add them once you tell me.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheSidewinder

• Miech

• TrueBluePyro

• Ventsi

Pity it can't play them,yeah just downloading will be fine .

Yeah im sure they're .MOV's it pisses me off to be honest since my crappy Windows video editors doesnt recognize them, i might be buying Adobe After Effects $60! :o a bit of a waste of $$$

I meant .MOD's

Edited by Ventsi

OK, I did some checking, and something's odd.

In your first post, you said .MOD, then said you were sure they were .MOV files. Which one is it?

Because .MOV files already *ARE* allowed in Downloads, Gallery, and as attachments to posts.

You should be able to upload a .MOV file, and as far as I can tell it SHOULD play.

If it doesn't, I'll have to dig deeper. Probably at the IPS Support site.

Oops, I appologise I wrote that by mistake.

I really mean .MOD files all of my videos are that format and incase YouTube begins a pyro hunt ,I'll be able to still share video's here.

I have already tried to upload two files and the filehost didn't let me.

So yeah .MOD not .MOV

Ah, OK. Yeah, that makes a difference. ;)

I'll add that mime-type to the modules then. Should be done in 10 minutes from this post's time.

EDIT: It will take longer. Apparently, .MOD has no registered mime-type. I'm trying to find out what wil be an acceptable substitute.

I can allow their upload, but they won't play off the site. Anyone wanting to see it will have to download it and play it from their PC.

FURTHER EDIT: OK, the file type is enabled, and it SHOULD try to play inline. But if it won't, let me know and I'll set it so it forces a download rather than trying to play.

Is there any reason you can't convert it to something more universal? I understand the convenience of being able to take the files directly from your camera, but I had some issues even trying to find an acceptable codec.

I've had trouble finding a good .MOD to .wmv converter.I'm downloading one right now and i'll let you guys know if it works.

Yeah, I just pulled out a lot of hair trying to find a codec that would play .MOD files. No luck.

I'll leave the .MOD mime-type in there for now, but once you have a stable converter, please post here so I can remove them and prevent future problems.

Thanks!

There is an old trick to play 'impossible' video files. Assuming all video's are compressed with either an MPEG codec or an other usual codec, and the audio as well, the file format is just a container making your computer being able to play it and show the right meta data. Changing the file extention to AVI or WMV usually does the trick, thereby fooling your computer and making it think it knows the file type. Of course specific pieces of metadata won't be processed properly by the playback device, but they are enough fault resistant to play the contained video and audio stream.

Changing the MOD extention to AVI did work for me. I'm pretty sure there is a script somewhere on the net that can do that automatically when such a file is uploaded.

I installed the CODEC pack mentioned elsewhere. Works fine.

Added the file to the Downloads.

Here's my piece of pie:

Your account is not in good standing.Your account has received the following Community Guidelines warning strikes, which will expire in six months. Additional violations may result in the temporary disabling of your ability to post content to YouTube and/or the termination of your account.For your reference, a copy of each warning message has also been emailed to the address associated with this account.http://s.ytimg.com/yt/img/warning_icon-vfl65880.pngThe following video(s) from your account have been disabled for violation of the YouTube Community Guidelines:
  • KNO3 white star mix in a small flare - (ventsi)

Received: May 06, 2009 | Acknowledged: May 06, 2009

It wasn't even a firework! :angry:

Hmm, it seems to get more serious... I added the infamous "DO NOT TRY AT HOME!!! TO BE PERFORMED BY PROFESSIONALLY TRAINED AND LICENSED POEPLE ONLY!!!" to the description of my video's, I hope it helps?

Edit: Oh crap... I misspelled people...

Edited by Miech

I'm going to do this too, in a week when youtube unblocks my access to my channel.

So long as I do not get a third flag before then and have the channel deleted.

If you know a guy named "PyroHobby" on Youtube... He got banned just for one day, having 4 videos flagged in a row, no reason, just like that. As for me, I' migrating to pyrohobby.com Edited by 50AE

If you know a guy named "PyroHobby" on Youtube... He got banned just for one day, having 4 videos flagged in a row, no reason, just like that. As for me, I' migrating to pyrohobby.com

I think you mean PyroTube.com ;)

OK, so I have been crusing youtube and looking at pyro vids by respectable people and there are like 20-40 1star on the one video, JEEZ there is like a whole gang on this thing, lol, I wonder why, it make me laugh though seeing the effort they go to just to rate it one star and thumb down everything, lol

You might find it a bit extreme, but I went through the terrible pain of removing all my videos..just to be safe. I have all my subscriptions still there which is mainly all I care about. I sure hope Cplmac and Zmuro don't get flagged either. It'd be a sin to remove their videos. They are some of the best out there.

I sure hope Cplmac and Zmuro don't get flagged either. It'd be a sin to remove their videos. They are some of the best out there.

Hmm...Zmuro's account seems to have been suspended :huh:

This is getting stupid.

Really? I didn't take the time to check that before I posted. Thats unfortunate <_< . This is ridiculous.

All the more reason to use our system and resources, folks. :D

Seriously, we need to get these videos put here where some peckerhead bureaucrat can't touch them.

If you have space restrictions that are too small, let me know! With the lifting of our bandwidth and HDD limits, we can store a hell of a lot...

I might start storing the videos I've captured on the database here.

Anyway, there is a user on Youtube by the name of adambus7-and he's just about the biggest flash junkie I have seen. Not a single video of his has been flagged..

Well I tried converted my video with a converter. Tried to go from mpeg2 to wmv I think it was. Now all my frickin files are hosed up on my local hd. I can't play a frickin one of them! Ya I'm really lovin this file BS