APC Forum

KNO3 white

Ventsi

What do you think of replacing a part of the atomized Al with MG powder?

I have 1kg Mg I haven`t got much use for, wouldn`t they be easier to light

and have a better white?

50 KNO3

10 Al

15 Mg

15 S

10 Parlon

Greets

I would prefer Ba(NO3)2 insted of KNO3 for white stars and replace parlon and left it for coloured stars.

Using magnesium will brighten star and you will have avoid water to bind your composition.

If you are using aluminium then use 1 to 2 percent boric acid .

You will also need a hot prime to light them.

well, made batch of these, primed with meal (cut stars, primed by roling), and they work perfect for me. burn fairly white, and lights up easily. i like these. Edited by Oinikis

I would like to use them but i have already used up an 8oz. batch in mines and cant get them to lite. I have used BP and TT and both together with no luck.

Any other prime suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...
How much silicon as per bp?

Between 5 and 10% usually no more than 8% to prevent wastage, I'm trying these soon in inserts since they burn for so long, let us know how they lit.

Dan.

Thanks Dan. I have got to order some sulfur, pn is on the way.

How much silicon as per bp?

5 to 15 percent.

:)

For KNO3 bright white: Use 7:2:1 ratio of KNO3: Al: S

For stars: Add +5% Dextrin & for white flare: Add +5% mineral oil.

Edited by pyrowinner

for small or medium sized shells the parlon stars are still better and with 8% ti they leave a awesome tail i like knowing how to make every star every way it can be made some are prettier than others but for some applications you have to use whats chem compatible..and as un-traditional as it seems imop the parlon stars just work better for sm=all shells. and most of us should have all these chems somewhere in there shop to begin with.. kno3 whites are made as accents ..ie. for bigger shells. they go great with white strobes in larger shells and color shells as an after effect 'but are better with antimony III comp.and are not as hard to light...buy a 20 dollar respirator..for the ant III though..its cheap more in-expensive than parlon stars and imop prettier and can be made with a more controllable burn rate..

• 4 weeks later...
I just have 1 question. What do y'all think about using KNO3 for Crossittes?

yeah, this comp is awesome, expecialy when i have BP chems only. i have invented this to myself :P . I have only tried flares using this, need to try stars using this. also, i've tried to add NaCl to that, and it burned very yellow.

What formula did you use for yellow?

I just have 1 question. What do y'all think about using KNO3 for Crossittes?

I think that since lots of Crossettes are made of KNO3 based compositions, that's pretty normal. Or do you mean the burst charge? Ultimately I am not sure what you are asking.

For the Crossette, not the burst.

Cool... The chances are that almost every charcoal, gold or glitter crossette has been KNO3 based.

Quite likely the first crossettes ever made were KNO3 based.

I also think Tigertail (and some other Charcoal mixes), brocade type golds and many glitters look amazing as crossettes.

However, what are you actually asking?

What about KNO3 and crossettes? KNO3 based crossettes are completely normal crossettes with everything about them absolutely normal except that they are limited (by definition) to KNO3 based compositions. I would guess that most crossettes made by members on this foruum (half of my own) are KNO3 based because such effects are so pretty, cheap and avaliabe.

Are you referring to the KNO3 white and asking about it in crossettes? While I personally prefer tailed crossettes to some extent, it would work fine.

Edited by Seymour

My bad, i thought i typed Kno3 White. Now i am wondering how colors would look as Crossetts. Edited by dynomike1

• 2 weeks later...
while i have or had at least at one tyme a yellow version of this comp id have to hunt for it. and dont think i even tried it but every tyme ive made this comp a few of them burn yellow.so it shoudnt take to much experimentation to get to the yellow..i will look for it and post it if i find it.

• 7 months later...
I got a question, can i replace the dextrin with sgrs without any problems? And im wondering if someone tried to roll stars with this composition. Well im going to try to roll stars like tt to kno3 white or c6 or c8 to kno3 White. I think im going for tt because rolling c6 or c8 will make a big mess. Or does some of you guys recommend an other composition to roll over the white? It has to be a comp with only kno3 charcoal and sulfur and i also have sodium bicarb. Greetz Edited by baso112

Tt would be one of the messiest, the higher the charcoal the worse the problem. Higher nitrate rolls easier.

I think they'd look nice with any streamer over the top, but I'd expect to prime them as charcoal streamers may not light the cores well.

You could try a bp star, bp meal with 10% airflaot charcoal added. This might eliminate ignition issues and negate the need to prime the cores.

Not sure on the dextrin sgrs subbing 1 for 1 but you can use either usually in comps that call for them.

Dan.

Am i wasting german dark aluminium powder if i use it with meal for a prime?

What kind of stars you want to prime?

I might try this: white comp → meal +5% al → streamer comp.

I dont really get what you are trying to say....If you are looking for cheap streamer formulas then you can try Hardt bright streamer compositions.