Name; KNO3 White?

Type:White Flame Envelope.

Creator: Dont know?

Composition:

KNO3:59

Sulfur:30

Meal:11

Dextrin:5

Precations/Incompabilities: Sulfur-Chlorate incompabilities.

Procedure:

Well these stars tend to burn pretty slow so make 'em smell, ahem *small* :D .

Mix the ingridients well and throw them in your Ball mill for a good few hours or until they are very fine,

Bind with 75/25 water/alc

Pump/cut no bigger than 1/4".For 3",4"

For smaller shells Push your star comp through a 1/6" screen or simular.

Let dry and prime medium to thick with straigh BP.

These are amazingly bright considering their simple ingridients,Nothing compared to Antimony or Al formulas.

You can make great flares with this formula.

Enjoy. :rolleyes:

That translates to

67.25 KNO3

31.1 Sulfur

1.65 Charcoal

5 Dextrine

If you don't want to use meal. It probably can be rounded to something like

67:31:2:5

• 5 months later...
That translates to

67.25 KNO3

31.1 Sulfur

1.65 Charcoal

5 Dextrine

If you don't want to use meal. It probably can be rounded to something like

67:31:2:5

Erggg! Made a whole batch..Really cool looking when lit but they are hard to light....Still going to give them a try in a 4" shell. They are pretty darn white...

Erggg! Made a whole batch..Really cool looking when lit but they are hard to light....Still going to give them a try in a 4" shell. They are pretty darn white...

Its OK, just use a straight meal prime, 70/30 alcohol to wet the stars and sprinkle meal on top.

I tried these long ago. They're alright, but yes, very hard to ignite. A good dull white that I can see having some very cool use.

Green mix lights them well, but don't break them too hard, they blow out easier than most stars.

Here is a two inch mine=

Some tips:

Make these small!!!!

1/4" is plenty for a long lasting 3" up to 5".

For 2" shells you can spread them thin and cut them in ~ 1/6" cubes and prime heavily in green mix/ poor meal.

They arent too bright, they make exelent lances though.

Don't drown them out with other colors!

• 3 weeks later...

Meal is KNO3/Charcoal/Sulfur in the traditional ratio of 75/15/10 after having been ball milled. It is a fine powder (it will not have been granulated). Basically it is un-granulated black powder.

And the formula can be either, depending on how you look at it. The first one includes "meal", which the second formula just divides into KNO3,Charcoal, and Sulfur and adding the KNO3 and Sulfur to the additional amount rather than calling it "meal" and then including additional sulfur and KNO3. Both formulas should give the same results.

Edited by scarbelly

• 1 month later...

Nice! I've been looking for this for quite some time now (i just didn't know i was untill a i saw it LOL), is it worth it though? do you think just the lift charge on a mine would light them of would you need prime?

Oh, and nice 2" star mine Ventsi!

Edited by Updup

Oh, they definitely need a prime, some BP with ~3% Aluminum should do. Or plain KP should be sufficient, prime them like you would do rice hulls.

Oh, they definitely need a prime, some BP with ~3% Aluminum should do. Or plain KP should be sufficient, prime them like you would do rice hulls.

Hmm, might meal work? I don't have any AL

It should, though if can make it hotter , by all means do it.

I think it should light them fine though , I just like to be sure.

Step priming would be easy ans idea. Just roll them in a layer of 50/50 meal/ star comp., then a layer of meal.

Okay, i'm going to try this, when i get a video i'll show it to all you lovly people :D . I assume the rule is mill ALAP? My mill makes lift in about 3-4 hours so i think/hope that will work, also can i use green mix vs. meal if i'm going to mill the whole comp anyways?

Thanks for the comp ventsi this way my first 3" can be white and TT and i just CAN NOT WAIT! :wacko:

EDIT: okay i milled some this moring and it finished around 12:00 but when i light the powder it burns like a flame normally would, is this normal? and will it be fixed after it is made into stars?

Edited by Updup

Try pressing it into a lance if you can. Also if you can, use RG as a binder NC at best, it really helps. Adding a few % Bright Al really helps it too.

Try pressing it into a lance if you can. Also if you can, use RG as a binder NC at best, it really helps. Adding a few % Bright Al really helps it too.

Yeah, I made a few test stars, need to wait for those to dry but when they do I hope they will brun white. Also, I, as of now am a newbi pyro, and i dont have any Red Gum NC OR AL ]=. In your video did you add any AL, and did you use Dextrin?

If it dosn't work without the AL you really should tell us that in the origanal post.

Anyway, thanks! :o

EDIT: Tested one this morning, i think they are still a bit wet, but i made a few very small so they would dry faster, it burned... FAIRLY white, the main problem is that they burn like a very slow strobe. If sound gives you an idea it's like S=burning -=not burning

SSSSSS-----------SSSSSS------S-SSSSS---SSSSSS-Ss-SSSSSSSSSSSS----------S-SS---- over a time of like 15 seconds, mabye its just because they arn't dry, I'll give you an update tomarrow.

OH, and i didn't prime them, i just made a few stars, when i make the rest of them i will prime them.

Edited by Updup

They sound still wet. When I made a batch of stars of this type I found out the hard way that they are rather hygroscopic. They dried and burned at a normal speed. Between when I made them, and when I put them in a shell, the burn rate just about doubled.

I don't recall if it was this formula, or not, but it was similar.

I used the original compo. with 4% Dex. How big are the stars you made? Mine were just under 1/4" and they burned plenty long.

They work perfectly fine without it, it just helps the star burn brighter and faster.

Make sure they are completely dry, at least 3-4 days.

Mumbles, I didn't find these particularly hygroscopic, especially if stored in something like a Ziploc and used in a month or two.

Okay, they are still wet, and the few stars I made are about 2/3" nice and long burn time :glare: but I only made about a 10 gram batch so i will make the rest smaller, thanks for the comp!

They were 1/4" if not a bit smaller. The stars burned for the better part of 6 seconds. Like I said before, it may not have been the same formula. When I first made and dried them, they were burning out in around 2 seconds.

They dried and burned at a normal speed. Between when I made them, and when I put them in a shell, the burn rate just about doubled.

They were 1/4" if not a bit smaller. The stars burned for the better part of 6 seconds. Like I said before, it may not have been the same formula. When I first made and dried them, they were burning out in around 2 seconds.

This is a bit confusing :wacko: , when you say the burn rate doubled i take that to mean that they burned twice as fast, but since your last post, i guess you ment thay that the burn time doubled? In that case, do you think i should store them with some rice(might not work, its just a thought)?

Also thinking about rice and very off topic, will rice work as a rice hull subsitute? A bit more heavy but i make some pretty beast BP :lol:

Cheers, (No i'm not form england i just lived there for a while) UPDUP<(Strange name.... i know)

• 9 months later...

I tried these long ago. They're alright, but yes, very hard to ignite. A good dull white that I can see having some very cool use.

Yes I made some as well very hard to ignite they have been drying for about a day and a half will let them dry for 3 to 4 days then prime them with some meal prime and see where that goes.