• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ventsi

• Swede

• Mumbles

• TYRONEEZEKIEL

Ammonium nitrate and Strontium carbonate will get thhe nitrate, but only after boiling the solution/suspension for a long log time.

I remember people reporting that they had to top the water up many many times.

This way might work, but at a high cost in energy and time.

I did this once and yes it takes hours and hours of boiling and topping up the water. it works,but I'd save it for a last resort.

Not only it takes a long boiling, but it also makes a huge cloud of ammonia gas, that might draw unwanted attention.

My strontium comes as strontioum chloride anhydrous. I did the conversion to strontium carbonate with sodium carbonate (the Na traces can be washed away quite easily), and the resulted carbonate was reacted with nitric acid till neutral (actually untill some carbonate was left undisolved). One can either wait 2 sunny months, or boil away the solution. It took less than 30 minutes to get the aprox 1 kg of pure anhydrous strontium nitrate.

Then I realized there was no need to do it: strontium carbonate works very well in metal fueled stars, KP/AP based. Not only it works, but it also eliminates the moisture problem.

My view is that is better to either try to develop a new formula, better suited to ones needs/possibilities, or to stick to one verified and safe formula, again accordingly to the possibilities.

So could I do the transition from Sr. chloride to nitrate by combining solutions of the chloride and Amm. Nitrate? Its just a goal I've had and sortof wanted to make some of that red flash everyine is talking about.

In theory you can and it'll work, but I wish you goodluck on separation of the ammonia chloride.

I hate recrystallizations.

You can just heat it for a while to drive off the ammonium chloride as a sublimated product. Not ideal, or good, or really very useful, but it can be done.

Well, while we're on the topic of completely useless ways to make strontium nitrate, let me propose my own.

Calcium nitrate + Copper sulfate ---> filter off the calcium sulfate, and save the filtrate (copper nitrate)

Copper nitrate + lead metal ---> Lead nitrate

Lead nitrate + strontium chloride ---> filter off the lead chloride and evaporate the soln to get the nitrate

I like how strontium wasnt introduced until the very last step. HA!

I initially gave a thought about driving off the ammonia chloride by heat. Problem is, ammonia chloride decomposes, and an acidic oxidizer is the last thing you need in a compo. Edited by a_bab

Speaking of NH4Cl, a few months ago I got bored and synthesized some for the heck of it, although just a few grams. Yesterday I was bored again and got a chemistry itch, and saw it sitting in my cabinet. After all the water had evaporated I was left with some slightly dirty crystals at the bottom, as some dust had gathered. Well I thought, lets try and do a simple recrystallization. I added about 3.8g NH4Cl to a test tube along with 5ml water, and heated to boiling dissolving all the NH4Cl to form a saturated solution. I watched for awhile until the crystals had started to form and was greeted with a rather pretty sight of NH4Cl "snow" forming in the test tube. It was a sight to see, so I re-dissolved the solids and this time took a short video.

Watch as the tiny crystals shoot up from the bottom, and grow larger, only to fall back down again and continue growth. Very splendid sight indeed, I've never seen crystals form like this before. The star shape in which they form is rather cool, but what is this shape referred to as? :huh:

I would probably call it "twinned", but then again, I've been growing too many crystals lately for X-ray crystalography. It's supposed to grow in a cubic pattern. It's probably just crystalizing too fast to form good cubes. The star shape is pretty common with cubic crystals, as they just start growing at the corners faster due to nucleation.

If you want to try growing cubes, make a RT soln, and layer alcohol on top. One may also make a solution of it in a test tube, put a rubber stopper on top, and stick a hollow needle in there to slowly evaporate the water. Like I said, I've been growing too many crystals lately.