APC Forum

Anodes and Cathodes

BPinthemorning

This is a thread for disscussion of chlorate cell cathodes and anodes.

I'll begin. I found this website, http://rehabilitation-products.medical-sup...duct_search.asp , with what they call platinum electrodes. Would these work in a chlorate cell as anodes? They apear to be for medical purposes, but I want to know if they would be of use to me for a chlorate cell.

Also, where can platinum coated titanium mesh, wire, or rods relitivily cheap for a chlorate cell?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Swede

• tentacles

• BPinthemorning

• WarezWally

Platinum plated stuff is crap and a waste of money, it will work for a short amount of time then it will succumb to erosion. Unless you get a really thick coating (60+ micron) stick with solid platinum or lead dioxide.

Thanks, but where can I get solid platinum (wire, rod, chain, preferably mesh) for a reasonable price??? And lead dioxide dosenot work for chlorate preperation...

Is there anything wrong with graphite in chlorate cells that you are trying to avoid? Yes, it will corrode over time, but for the same price you'd pay for Pt, you'd have enough graphite anodes to last a considerable amount of time.

As Mumbles said, for the same price many graphite anodes will last longer than a Pt anode especially since one ounce of Pt is $1,471. Precious metals have been going up quite a bit lately.

And I am having trouble finding carbon welding rods... I have been using pencil lead after I burn the wood away, and they aren't dence enugh and desinigrate very rapidly.

Well, thats because pencil lead is a mixture of graphite and clay. The clay doesn't stand up well. I think you will have a much easier time finding graphite in one form or another than you will finding a suitible piece of Pt.

10 pounds of graphite will last quite a long time provided you do not push a lot of currant through it.

bpinthemorning: Find blocks that are EDM grade graphite, which is one hell of a lot more dense than pencil lead or gouging rods - they reportedly last very well in a chlorate cell.

one way to remove the graphite is to let it settle to the bottom and siphon off the clear liquor. Alternatively get some really good filter paper, or use something to clog your filter paper to increase it's effectiveness. ie put a clean (or washed at least) powder on the filter paper, and use it, thus clogging the pores and providing a very fine filtration. Don't expect to do this without a buchner funnel, vacuum flask, and vacuum source. I would reccomend using diatomaceous earth to filter this way.

Yes but it will get clogged and it will be slow going. Its best to let the graphite settle and siphon off the clear liquid.

Thanks, but where can I get solid platinum (wire, rod, chain, preferably mesh) for a reasonable price??? And lead dioxide dosenot work for chlorate preperation...

Where did you hear that?

i made NaClO4 out of NaCl directly without filtering or anything with PbO2.

If you are refering to the corrosion in a chlorate cell ... yes it corredes a bit maybe 0.5 gram per couple of pounds

Are we talking about platinum erosion?

Cause that 0.5g costs you roughly $25 - for a couple of pounds thats expensive.

of course i was talking about PbO2 ... 0.5 a gram of platinum is crazy.

Pt will hold up nicely up to when NaCl levels drop below 10%

PbO2 however will corode a bit all the way up to this poing and then itll be fine.

Firefox. However, you can't aquire the material and expect to make anodes from it. One must prepare said anodes themselves. There are several sources around the internet that discuss this in some detail. Generally lead nitrate is the material you want.

Ya, as a 16 yearold, I lack the knowlage and the resorces to make my own electrodes from lead nitrate, so it will have to be carbon for me. I was directed to this ebay auction, http://cgi.ebay.com/Carbon-Graphite-Chunks...bayphotohosting, but I don't need 10 pounds or $40 of carbon, soooo I've hit a dead end. If anyone has extra carbon rods, bars, or any carbon electrode material, I would be happy to buy it, but I don't need 40 dolars of it.

Ive been thinking, since its easy to buy lead dioxide powder has anyone tried pressing it into an anode? Some people have some pretty powerful presses out there.

How far would silver get me as an anode material?

Silver oxide is conductive so that shouldn't be a problem ... Silver Chloride is an insoluble, inconductive solid, but will it form around the anode?

I can't see silver going into solution with Chloride ions being present, if silver chloride does form, it can be easily seperated again because of it's high density and extremely low solubility.