APC Forum

Mystery Chemical

WarezWally

To me it sounds like you have some cesium. Its a silver/gold metal and melts at 28c.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WarezWally

• TheSidewinder

• asilentbob

• Mumbles

I deleted your reply in the other thread since it was a duplicate.

But it does sound like Cesium. That'd be 82-83 degrees F.

I'd bet as well that it is Cs. Not many other materials like it.

72g of it?

At 100$/g (aprox)...you have quite the find. :o

Cesium - that is an awesome find, if just for the curiosity of it. I'd bet you could sell it on eBay and make some serious bucks if you wanted to. There are always people who buy stuff like that.

For some reason, I find ampules to be really cool. Exotic, toxic, whatever the component, sealed in a glass ampule. I'd like to learn how to make them; I'd guess it's not hard. Start with a long test tube, and heat w/rotation 2/3 of the way from the bottom... when it begins to flow, pull and twist slightly. Or better yet, sacrifice a volumetric pipette or two, using the bulbous portion for the body of the ampule.

It is an ampuole of a goldish metal which melts when i hold the ampuole in my hands,

That's freakin' sweet dude. Nice find.

You've also reminded me that I need to get my Gallium out and have a play : ) It's been a while.

1361.1 grams of high purity Soviet-made Cesium under Argon......... OMFG! :o

A cool 150 Grand just for the Cesium. And I'm betting it's worth a hell of a lot more than that as a collector's item.

Wouldn't Sotheby's or Christie's just shit to have that submitted, eh?

Bah, Cesium. What good is it? Can you do any decent pyro reactions with it? It's useless, a mere curio. ;)

In fact, Mr. Winnipegchemist, I'll trade you some MMO anodes and Ti cathodes for that bad boy! I feel altruistic today. I'll even toss in a few $$ as well. :lol:

Cs is more like an item to posess and to "masturbate" at the thought of having it then have a use for it.

This thread is going to hell in a hurry, sheesh. :D

I do wonder if Cs could be used in pyro, though, if you were in a position to say "cost be damned".

Look at its position on the Periodic Table. Can you say CsClO4? :rolleyes:

If you guys think Caesium is sexy for pyro, I'll be sure to post a video of my of Francium and Fluorine 8" salute :lol:

Can you take a picture? How big is it? Cesium density is close to 2 g per CC, so 72 grams would occupy about 36 ml.

You could verify it is Cesium by breaking it open, remotely, underwater. A violent reaction would prove the presence of Cesium. But don't do that! :D

There IS a pyro use for Cesium... all you have to do is turn it into cesium nitrate -

Caesium nitrate is used as an oxidizer and pyrotechnic colorant to burn silicon in infrared flares[6] such as the LUU-19 flare,[7] because it emits much of its light in the near infrared spectrum.
And you get a brilliant INFRARED flame!

More Cs trivia:

It can be isolated by electrolysis of fused caesium cyanide and in a number of other ways. Exceptionally pure and gas-free caesium can be made by the thermal decomposition of caesium azide. The primary compounds of caesium are caesium chloride and its nitrate. The price of caesium metal in 1997 was about US$30 per gram, but its compounds are much cheaper.

Sorry, I'm bored this morning, I've got several hours to kill before jury duty. I have already decided he/she is guilty, unless appropriate bribes are made. I'll take $$, Cs, or flake Al. (j/k! ^_^ )

A little further reading makes me wonder if you could use it all. From what I've read, it "reacts explosively with water", confirmed by Swede's suggestion. :D

But I still wonder if you could make Cesium Chlorate or Perchlorate somehow (remember: cost be damned). Cesium Nitrate, eh? Hmmmmm........

You certainly could. Just neutralize the boiling and exploding solution of Cesium hydroxide with perchloric acid. Easy as pie :)

Now, I don't know how stable it would be, but it can be made.

Oh, THAT sounds like fun. Let me know if you plan to try it, I'll take pictures. :D

Yeah, the more I read about it the less useful it looks, cost irrespective. Owell.

A nifty collector's item, then.

Would the chloride be useful as a chlorine donor along with the blue of the Cs? Could make for a great coloring agent...

And on a serious note, CsCl could be used to form the nitrate or the perchlorate with silver nitrate or perchlorate. The nitrate is hydroscopic, and was not able to find out about the perchlorate, however compounds with a anion and cation of different sizes often are hygroscopic.

Who's up for dropping a chunk in nitric acid?

I think one would require a shock proof, solid stainless steel reaction vessel :)

howdy fellas, a little ot,

colour doner metals are reasonable hard to get where i come from ( without importing them ) so i have been making my own,

when i nitrate Baco3 then add heat to evapourate it then wash it, evapourate and dry it, i still get a HNO3 smell ( reasonably strong ) but i don't get any smell with Sr(NO3)2,

appart from turning Ammonium compounds into NH4NO3, will there be any other adverse reactions that may be dangerous ?

i have used the Ba(NO3)2 in some comps and no adverse reactions happened,( even with Mg in the comp) wetted and stars cut " but like some other comps, it maybe ok for 10 times or so then i'll get bitten,

any advise would be mind settling, thanks

I suggest using an excess of BaCO3 then neutralize the remaining acid with some sort of base.

I wouldn't use anything with residual HNO3!

i did think of washing and re washing but with HNO3 being azeotropic i would be there for years, and i also thought about bumping the ph up but i only have Na hydroxide and didn't want to contaminate my colour with Na

is there another easy to obtain base i can use that doesn't have Na present ?

oh yea.....thanks for the reply

Being an azeotrope has nothing to do with evaporation. An azeotrope is a constant boiling mix, not an unevaporative substance. The barium nitrate should be dried by heat anyway to remove water trapped in the crystals.

I'd stick with the previous suggestion. Use an excess of barium carbonate. It can be filtered off at the end before evaporating. Frankly, I wouldn't add anything but barium hydroxide or carbonate as a base. Even potassium can wash out poor greens.

Being an azeotrope has nothing to do with evaporation. An azeotrope is a constant boiling mix, not an unevaporative substance. The barium nitrate should be dried by heat anyway to remove water trapped in the crystals.

I'd stick with the previous suggestion. Use an excess of barium carbonate. It can be filtered off at the end before evaporating. Frankly, I wouldn't add anything but barium hydroxide or carbonate as a base. Even potassium can wash out poor greens.

thanks for your advice, i'll give it a whirl,..........i do my evapouration by boiling, hence the atribute to azeotropic

Edit :- by the way mumbles, hows prune face and itchy ? i havn't seen them in years, :P

Edited by scrappy