APC Forum

Mystery Chemical

WarezWally

Went digging under the house and i found a large clear bottle filled with a red / orange liquid. It has some particles suspended in it. Ive poured a small amount on some concrete and its effect is instantaneous in turning it white. Compared to my 32% HCl it is much potent and violent.

I have very little idea what it is, my first though was red fuming nitric but seeing as it has small particles in it something could have contaminated it.

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/9878/acidxm5.jpg

Any ideas?

I tried adding a small amount of sugar and it did nothing so i can rule out sulfuric.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WarezWally

• TheSidewinder

• asilentbob

• Mumbles

With aluminium (small bit of foil) it was pretty nasty, fizzled and then turned black and melted the plastic container it was in. If it is HCl (which i think it is) any idea why its so potent compared to the 32% stuff i have?

Phosphoric acid, H3PO4. My moneys on it... but not really... and that guess is coming almost exclusivly from the shape of the container.

Why? Then there's no point doing it... :lol:

A large amount of heat is released when strong acids are mixed with water. Adding more acid releases more heat. If you add water to acid, you form an extremely concentrated solution of acid initially. So much heat is released that the solution may boil very violently, splashing concentrated acid out of the container! If you add acid to water, the solution that forms is very dilute and the small amount of heat released is not enough to vaporize and spatter it. So Always Add Acid to water, and never the reverse.

thats why

Use a SG meter... or find its density with g/ml... also do some tests of its compounds... ie sulfate/phosphate/chloride precipitates, solubility, etc...

Just test it with PH paper.

Or take a small sample and drop in a drop of soda solution.

What is its density? smell?

pH has been tested and its acidic

density - not to keen on playing around with it atm, might do that tomorrow

smell - nasty, got a whiff from a few meters away and i was spluttering. Hard to describe, strong and overpowering to say the least.

For the time being its staying in its bottle :)

It really could be Formic acid especially if found buried. It just seems to me if there was a beekeeper or something at the house before you they could have kept formic acid to treat their bees and such and just left it in their basement or outside...

Formic acid is EXTREMELY corrosive and will burn you about instantly... Breathing it in can be fatal in very short exposure... It rates about the same as Chlorine gas as toxicity of its gases, but really it's closer to a 4 rating (cyanide)...

It doesn't seem it would be possible for the average Joe to get this chemical, but you can freely buy it from some chemical suppliers and possibly eBay...

I remember learning about it in my Biology classes when we were going over Amino, Nucleic, and other carboxyl (COOH) acids...

Formic acid is just COOH (the simplest form)... and if I remember from when I was trying to make rust be Vinegar + Bleach... Vinegar contains the next simplest carboxyl acid... Uh acetic acid which is CH3COOH I believe...

Formic (methanoic acid) is HCOOH not COOH the COOH is the functional group of the carboxylic acids.

but nice info about the beekeepers!

GET RID OF IT... Why mess around with something you don't know what it is or how contaminated, or what consentration it is. You surely could not depend on anything working right, that you made from it, and it is not labeled, so why take a chance of some child or animal getting into it. At the very least it would just be a pain to store or keep around.

And how do you propose i get rid of it?

Its not like i can pour it down the drain or throw it into my neighbors bin :lol:

Well ''' let's see, Hmmm... Maybe you can put it in a box marked TOYS and send it to China :D No really. if you live in the city, they take those kind of chemicals at the transfer station (dump) I had a whole jar of murcury once and called a metal recycling place and they told me to stay the hell away from them with that sh.. I called the City and they told me that the dump had a special area for people to take all sorts of poison and insecticides, lead paint and such because they didn't want people to flush them or toss them in the woods. But seriously I wouldn't keep it.

you wasted a whole jar of Hg?? :blink: I would of loved to have some of that...

By the way to chec if you substance is Formic acid you can do this test: Take sone KNO3 and mix it with Brucine (C23H26N2O4) and then add some of your substance, if it is formic acid then mixture will become Red...

Went digging under the house and i found a large clear bottle filled with a red / orange liquid.

That's really helpful seeing it is already red... lol

You know I've been thinking about this. I would think that it's maybe this stuff called diggers HCl. It turns red upon contact with some things. I cannot remember for the life of me what it takes. One way to check would be to place a container in it next to a container with Ammonia. White fumes should appear above it.