APC Forum

Kitty Litter as nozzle mix?

Gottagotomoz

From Google's first search result for "Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty":

"Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty™ is a gypsum-based filler -- a powder -- that becomes very hard when mixed with water."

That doesn't tell the whole story, and I only grabbed the first link, but it's a start.

Perhaps one of our resident Chemistry Geeks can give more info.

Sidewinder, you a member of NLP?

No, Dave, I'm in the WPAG, though I'm going to let my membership lapse due to no job and no money. Already dropped PGI.

Perhaps next year I can take up the hobby again. In the meantime, I'll have to let APC fulfill my pyro addiction. ;)

No, Dave, I'm in the WPAG, though I'm going to let my membership lapse due to no job and no money. Already dropped PGI.

Perhaps next year I can take up the hobby again. In the meantime, I'll have to let APC fulfill my pyro addiction. ;)

What Happend? :o

I am so sorry for the job loss. I have four adult children and two have gone into the military due to lack of jobs here in the Metro. No PGI? That's a Damn shame. Ill keep my ear open, what kind of work? I deal with all kinds.

@Derek and Dave:

Long story short, back in 2002 I got downsized from my job as a Network Engineer.

At the time, my folks had hit the point where they needed someone to care for them on a full-time basis, and I did so for almost 6 years.

Now I'm back in the job market, and no one wants to hire a 50+ year old man in the IT field.

I've tried to break into the Web Hosting business, but that's something you can't just "start up and go" to pay the bills. I've been selling off the assets I've collected over the years, just to stay afloat.

So, if anyone knows of a job for a Network Engineer with hardware and cabling specialization (Telephony, Fire/Security, and Surveillance)...... let me know!! ;)

@Derek and Dave:

Long story short, back in 2002 I got downsized from my job as a Network Engineer.

At the time, my folks had hit the point where they needed someone to care for them on a full-time basis, and I did so for almost 6 years.

Now I'm back in the job market, and no one wants to hire a 50+ year old man in the IT field.

I've tried to break into the Web Hosting business, but that's something you can't just "start up and go" to pay the bills. I've been selling off the assets I've collected over the years, just to stay afloat.

So, if anyone knows of a job for a Network Engineer with hardware and cabling specialization (Telephony, Fire/Security, and Surveillance)...... let me know!! ;)

Hey I found this link, I dont know if it is exactly what your looking for but maybe it can help. :)

http://www.diceext.com/resumepost/index.ht...ooSearch_Search

@Derek and Dave:

I hang out with a group of geeks on Friday mornings, two got jobs in the past year one at Medtronic. Yes, they are still hiring geeks. ^_^

Edited by dagabu

I am so sorry for the job loss. I have four adult children and two have gone into the military due to lack of jobs here in the Metro. No PGI? That's a Damn shame. Ill keep my ear open, what kind of work? I deal with all kinds.

Getting kind of off topic, but do you mean metro Detroit, or somewhere else? Me and Richtee are both from a town in north oakland county, Michigan. It would be funny if you were also...

Nah, he's talking about the Twin Cities Metro area.

That's Minneapolis and St. Paul, and/or what's called "The 7-County Metro Area".

(Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott and Washington Counties.)

I'll add Medtronic to my list, Dave. Thank you.

And thanks for the link, Derek. I'll check it out.

Nah, he's talking about the Twin Cities Metro area.

That's Minneapolis and St. Paul, and/or what's called "The 7-County Metro Area".

(Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott and Washington Counties.)

I'll add Medtronic to my list, Dave. Thank you.

And thanks for the link, Derek. I'll check it out.

Hey anything we can help you with let us know.

@Derek and Dave:

It never hurts to apply at the local cable co. As long as you can still climb a ladder, most would hire you in a hearbeat with that type of experience.

Getting kind of off topic, but do you mean metro Detroit, or somewhere else? Me and Richtee are both from a town in north oakland county, Michigan. It would be funny if you were also...

No kidding? I'm in Oakland county also. You should join up with MPAG, we got a shoot next Saturday ;) Or just show up, I'm sure that would be fine too. I'm always up for a little group pyro build.

Eric,

If you're getting unacceptable nozzle erosion you could try adding a few percent of graphite to the mix.

I know some folks who swear by it.

Oh.... and welcome to the Forum!

Thanks!

My nozzle mix will likely be depleted by this fall so I will experiment with the above-mentioned grog and perhaps the graphite.

We shot off several small Class C cakes last weekend (bought). I noticed several of these spent pieces had a red-orange colored clay packed in the bottom of the tubes so I knocked them out with a hammer and chisel - I am guessing this is fireclay? By the time I got done I had about 1/3 of a gallon collected. It looks like a clay used in bricks. Maybe I can use this in place of grog for the time being - if it is fireclay.

I saw this on Skylighter, Gorski or someone else wrote it. I don't care to get into using naptha but interesting information:

"The choke (nozzle) is made from bentonite clay. I add 30% grog and 5% additional paraffin (Gulf Wax) dissolved in VM&P Naphtha. The percentages are very loose here. Some people use more fire clay; some do not use any. Mix the bentonite and fire clay together. Then melt the paraffin wax in the naphtha and mix the melted wax into the clay. Spread the clay out on newspaper and let the naphtha evaporate from the mix. It only takes 30 minutes for the naphtha to evaporate in 70 degree, sunny weather."

As for the clay I salvaged from the cakes, one piece had 1 1/2" i.d. x 4" length packed full a lighter-colored clay. It was used for a spacer. After taking it apart I discarded it because it smelled like soap! Not sure what the Chinese manufacturers do. At least the stuff I collected from the bottom of the tubes from the cakes looks like clay and does not smell like anything.

Thanks!

My nozzle mix will likely be depleted by this fall so I will experiment with the above-mentioned grog and perhaps the graphite.

We shot off several small Class C cakes last weekend (bought). I noticed several of these spent pieces had a red-orange colored clay packed in the bottom of the tubes so I knocked them out with a hammer and chisel - I am guessing this is fireclay? By the time I got done I had about 1/3 of a gallon collected. It looks like a clay used in bricks. Maybe I can use this in place of grog for the time being - if it is fireclay.

I saw this on Skylighter, Gorski or someone else wrote it. I don't care to get into using naptha but interesting information:

"The choke (nozzle) is made from bentonite clay. I add 30% grog and 5% additional paraffin (Gulf Wax) dissolved in VM&P Naphtha. The percentages are very loose here. Some people use more fire clay; some do not use any. Mix the bentonite and fire clay together. Then melt the paraffin wax in the naphtha and mix the melted wax into the clay. Spread the clay out on newspaper and let the naphtha evaporate from the mix. It only takes 30 minutes for the naphtha to evaporate in 70 degree, sunny weather."

As for the clay I salvaged from the cakes, one piece had 1 1/2" i.d. x 4" length packed full a lighter-colored clay. It was used for a spacer. After taking it apart I discarded it because it smelled like soap! Not sure what the Chinese manufacturers do. At least the stuff I collected from the bottom of the tubes from the cakes looks like clay and does not smell like anything.

I saw Ned's posting some years ago and tried it but it still doesn't compare to the first one I found (15 years ago or more) that uses Bentonite and Kaolin clays in a 50-50 mix, a toilet ring (the wax ring) dissolved in white gas and 15% graphite. The addition of the slag on burning adds a little to to choke the nozzle and the erosion opens it up a little making the nozzle diameter almost exactly the same as it was when I first formed it.

I use a caliper to check them.

• 5 weeks later...
al93535, When you use Fresh Step Kitty Litter do you need to use a press or will it still work better than bentonite when its just rammed with a mallet?

I can't speak for al93535, but I think you'll find that compaction with a mallet will work very well. It does for me. If you have access to a press it will work even better, but is not necessary.

I used to think that kitty litter was good enough for rockets, but I have been given a bag of Bentonite Clay from diversehobbies and it is such a fine powder, so easy to work with, forms rock hard.

Hey, I can get kaolin clay for very cheap. Do anyone knows if a 50/50 bentonite/kaolin mix is better than bentonite alone ?

For me, I use either Kitty litter, or powdered Bentonite from pyro dealers. Seems to work great. The tube ALWAYS goes before the nozzle. And I use 1 pound rocket tubes, with .25 inch walls.

Today I made an experimental mix. I dried 210 grams of powdered shitty cat litter (bentonite), then I added some graphite powder and 100 grams of wax. I made a homogeneous mix, also adding some water-glass. Finally, I obtained a good looking nozzle :)

I am very happy because it's the first time I get a nozzle that doesn't erode when taking out of the spindle.

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/7729/picture012mhy.jpg http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/picture012mhy.jpg/1/w2272.png http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/5391/picture013e.jpg http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/picture013e.jpg/1/w2272.png

Edited by 50AE

Looks very nice. Now, do a static test, and see how well it can take BP, and RCandy.

I'm really no rocket maker, but I'm kindof leaning on doing some more model rockets using RCandy.

I need some decent nozzle mix since back when I used straight Kitty litter, they would flake up and errode fast.

I'm thinking something like:

80 Fine milled cat litter

10 wax

5 crushed flower pots(40 mesh)

2 graphite

I drill out the nozzles and the graphite just helps the nozzle survive from the hot gasses by making it a smoother flow.

Should I up the wax to 20?

too much wax wont harden correctly. I ball mill my kittly litter for my nozzles, I have yet to have any trouble. Try putting a piece of masking tape on the bottom, and ramming on a smoother surface. this fixed my problem.

i use

8 wax

61 bentonite

31 fine grog

and it seems to work great for rockets (haven't recovered a rocket to see the nozzle post flight) but on fountains it certainly stands up to the hear and presure with out any visible erosion post fire

edit: the nozzle mix is from Ned Gorski

Edited by Ralph