APC Forum

Kitty Litter as nozzle mix?

Gottagotomoz

OK! OK! I can't take it anymore! If it's good enough for Al it's good enough for me. I will switch to Fresh Step even if it kills me :lol: . I'm running low on nozzle mix anyway so I will try it. I'm ramping up production for New years and hope to have a few cannister shell rockets loaded up. Just wish I could order some sweet color stars from Al. :D

I actually just bought a 38 lb. tub of "Tidy Cats" Multicat and this stuff works insanely good also... It's has to be the same stuff as Fresh step lol... looks exactly same, and smells the same... Taste the same too :D

Well,

I sent my wife out to get me some "Fresh Step"

Didn't happen - she got Food Lion brand litter. No smell, gray in color.

Rammed some into a 1" ID tube. Then proceded to try and get the plug out....

Could not get it out by hand.

Heh, I have tried lots of clays and kitty litters. I must say, that even over pure bentonite clay made for pyro purposes I prefer kitty litter. Not just any kitty litter mind you, cheap shit crumbles when you try to drill it.

What you want is Fresh Step scoopable kitty litter. It has to be the scoopable kind. This makes plugs, and nozzles like no other material I have ever used. It makes an easily pressable, very hard, and easy to drill plug.

Do NOT make a super fine powder either, this stuff can be used right out of the box. However, I prefer to run it through a coffee grinder one time to reduce the particle size a little bit.

If you use Fresh Step, you will never try anything else!

Al,

A quick glance at WalMart showed two different scoopable FreshStep products. The one in the resealable plastic bucket advertises an activated charcoal additive, whereas the scoopable clay FreshStep in the large bag did not. Which one of these are you using?

I'm not sure which one Al has, but I have both Tidy Cat and Fresh step in 25 lb. and 38 lb. resealable buckets respectively and both work great...

• 1 month later...

I'm bumping a sort of old thread, but I want to go out of my way to thank you al93535 for the Fresh-Step tip. I've used bentoite clay, bentonite and grog, store-brand cat litter, and it worked, for better or worse, but I always had problems with core erosion. I only do small rockets, mostly 4 oz. core burners, and I always suffered from loss of propulsion. I took your advice and tried Fresh-Step and have been thrilled with the results. I've been using it exclusively for a couple of months and it's preformed flawlessly.

I used to have to limit my headers to 15 gms., but with better nozzles my core burners easily lift a 35 to 40 gm. ball shell header to about 200 feet and suffer NO, repeat NO nozzle erosion. Thanks again for the tip.

Agreed, I picked up a tub of generic litter and it worked very well. I didn't grind it or anything, just right out of the tub. I have noticed that with the straight from container stuff with no grinding you have to use less of it or it doesn't compress well enough.

I actually just bought a 38 lb. tub of "Tidy Cats" Multicat and this stuff works insanely good also... It's has to be the same stuff as Fresh step lol... looks exactly same, and smells the same... Taste the same too :D

Tasting it?

I wouldn't do that.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?c...pt=AbstractPlus

I'd have to say that nearly every type of cat liter contains bentonite as its main ingredient...

I don't know why they say bentonite-containing kitty litter (well other than the fact that it contains bentonite) because I'd assume you'd have to look specifically for non-bentonite kitty litter...

• 4 weeks later...

I've always used cheap, generic kittty litter for my rocket nozzles/plugs, works great for me. I always hated grinding it, partucularly with a mortar and pestle. The sound and feel of it squeeking drives me nuts! Aswell as that, it's such a pain in the ass to clean afterwards.

l3est way to get nicely powdered stuff from cat litter is l3y simply pouring the contents of a l3ag onto a seive and collecting whatever falls through. Works for me.

(Yes, my "l3" key is l3roken..)

I use kitty litter from the bag, coating in waterglass and mixing with red fire clay. Simply because that is what I have, and it seems to make much stonger plugs than just kitty litter. Also the nozzles are intact when autopsying, unlike just kitty litter.

I use cheap kitty litter from a 10 kg bag, run it thru a sieve and use what I need. The stuff is so cheap anyway, I don't bother grinding it. Tried the waterglass method as well, but it didn't store well, seems like the waterclass crystalize in the nozzle over time. And I will try adding 25% of grog to the plain kitty litter, in order to make it stick better to the walls. What I have found, is that one can use almost any kind or type of fine claypowder. The "secret" is ramming/pressing the clay hard enough. The harder the better...

Another thing I've used in the past besides kitty Litter is smash up clay garden pots, you know; the red ones.

It works pretty well and its slightly less crumbly. I ran out though...

used simple catty litter many times... works pretty will. but i am willing to try that scoopable catty litter,found it here,in lithuania,but i am not sure is it exactly what i am thinking of. i've also found "silicone"catty litter :D anyone tryed that ?

• 1 year later...
I just use simple "Home Brand" kitty litter, it will be mostly bentonite clay becuae it is cheap and they dont ad anything else to it.
  • Like 1

Mine has always been a crap, it crumbles while I drill it. Is there something that I can add to increase its strength ? Once I read an article about someone adding wax.

Heh, I have tried lots of clays and kitty litters. I must say, that even over pure bentonite clay made for pyro purposes I prefer kitty litter. Not just any kitty litter mind you, cheap shit crumbles when you try to drill it.

What you want is Fresh Step scoopable kitty litter. It has to be the scoopable kind. This makes plugs, and nozzles like no other material I have ever used. It makes an easily pressable, very hard, and easy to drill plug.

Do NOT make a super fine powder either, this stuff can be used right out of the box. However, I prefer to run it through a coffee grinder one time to reduce the particle size a little bit.

If you use Fresh Step, you will never try anything else!

Will the odor eliminating blue chunks affect the nozzle's performance?

I've used bentonite clay, wax, and grog since I started. Kyanite is a grog substitute. I'm no rocket expert, but my nozzles at least have never failed me. 8:4:1 clay, grog, and paraffin wax. I've use toilet ring wax as a substitute with no problems.

What you do is dry mix the grog and clay, then put this dry mix in an oven (a metal coffee can is good) and heat to about 150 degrees C. Carefully melt the wax while the dry mix is heating. When the wax is molten and the mix is hot, Combine the two; drizzle the wax all about, then stir and shake to distribute. The end result is "nozzle mix" and it remains a powder for scooping and measuring, but under pressure, it solidifies.

http://www.5bears.com/firew/ur14.jpg

I'm with Swede on this. I use the same formula as he does. And it works beautifully. Yes, a little more expensive than plain kitty litter. But it works better.

Dave Sleeter's book contains the Bentonite-Grog-Wax formula, and its preparation.

I'll check out if Fresh Step exports to my country.

Does adding wax to cheap litter improve it ?