APC Forum

a newbs progress and question thread

RiderX

Yeah granulated BP will still do fine for the smaller diameter shells, that is all I used for the first ones I made. The confinement and packing of the contents has a lot of effect on the final burst as well I think.

I am about to try my first 3 inch cylinder shell as I have only just started making aerial shells a few months ago. All my previous experience was with slightly more energetic materials haha and rockets.

I am goint to use 4:1 meal coated rice hulls for the burst though.

Don't know if you have read of them but they weigh a lot less and a fill a lot more space so you can cut weight for the larger shells.

They are basically just BP coated on rice hulls and are as fast burning if not more so than standard granulated lift.

i have a 5 pound bag of rice hulls sitting here , the issue is im making screen mixed red gum bp so it wont stick to the hulls , when i buy some 325 mesh milled potassium nitrate i will use that and dextrin to make mcrh

Do you screen mix your BP instead of ball milling?

yes using skylighters redgum kit since i dont have a ball mill yet , takes 25-32g of bp for me to lift a 3 inch shell depending on what it weighs , now that im getting the shells to fit better in the tubes i think i can cut it back to 22-25g as ive been overlifting my shells a lil bit latley

Definitely invest in a ball mill if your serious you won't regret it. Just don't make the same mistake as me and only buy a 3 lb one. It can't keep up after I have made fuse, MCRH, lift and meal/Mgal final prime

Wow thats a lot of lift but its okay I suppose considering the powder was not milled.

I can lift a 2 inch shell with 7 grams of ball-milled granulated BP so there is a lot of difference between the two methods.

Definitely invest in a ball mill if your serious you won't regret it. Just don't make the same mistake as me and only buy a 3 lb one. It can't keep up after I have made fuse, MCRH, lift and meal/Mgal final prime

Wow thats a lot of lift but its okay I suppose considering the powder was not milled.

I can lift a 2 inch shell with 7 grams of ball-milled granulated BP so there is a lot of difference between the two methods.

its on my shopping list , i want to burn up this 12 pound kit i bought from skylighter first , i didnt think it was to bad considering most charts ive seen call for 17g for a 3 inch shell, if i changed the charcoal im using the guys here are saying it would make a world of difference

the 6# mills still only mill 3lb at a time thought dont they i.e 1 jar at a time

i do have a very large ball mill at work , they use it for ball milling ore , its about the size of a 55gal drum , not that i would ever use it for pyro stuff its just way to big

edit

i use 7g to lift my 1inch x 2.5 long shells out of a 6inch mortar tube, it does get them up there

Edited by RiderX

i have a 5 pound bag of rice hulls sitting here , the issue is im making screen mixed red gum bp so it wont stick to the hulls , when i buy some 325 mesh milled potassium nitrate i will use that and dextrin to make mcrh

I have put screen mixed dextrin based BP on rice hulls with no problem. Are you soaking the hulls before trying to coat them? Are you using alcohol instead of water?

I have put screen mixed dextrin based BP on rice hulls with no problem. Are you soaking the hulls before trying to coat them? Are you using alcohol instead of water?

i havent even tried to make mcrh yet , was told it wouldnt work with the redgum , and the thing i read said u had to use ball milled bp to make it .

but if it works with screen mixed bp ill swap the redgum for some dextrin so i can go ahead and make it

I pre-mill each ingredient separately at home then take it all up north to screen mix and coat on rice hulls.

The important thing is to know what you did so when you find the best method for your situation, you can repeat it with consistency.

I pre-mill each ingredient separately at home then take it all up north to screen mix and coat on rice hulls.

The important thing is to know what you did so when you find the best method for your situation, you can repeat it with consistency.

since the only thing im making right now are 2.5 and 3 inch shells what ratio would u recomend?

Yeah the charcoal does make a difference, I have been using willow bit my source has dissappeared so I jave to find something else fast.

Mine just says 3lb so I use a little under that weight so it doesn't put strain on the motor or break the belt.

Here's a 15lb one I found on ebay. The seller also sells a 25 lb one.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-15lb-Capacity-Rock-Tumbler-DELUXE-Lapidary-Rock-Polishing-/262466756809?nav=SEARCH

Yeah the charcoal does make a difference, I have been using willow bit my source has dissappeared so I jave to find something else fast.

Mine just says 3lb so I use a little under that weight so it doesn't put strain on the motor or break the belt.

Here's a 15lb one I found on ebay. The seller also sells a 25 lb one.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-15lb-Capacity-Rock-Tumbler-DELUXE-Lapidary-Rock-Polishing-/262466756809?nav=SEARCH

ive seen those i just dont know if i would need one that big

since the only thing im making right now are 2.5 and 3 inch shells what ratio would u recomend?

Sorry, I have only made 4in shells so I am not sure what you would need.

If i was spending that much, i'd go for the rebel 17 straight away instead. Preferably one of those that already have an upgraded motor for the right turning speed, but...

ive seen those i just dont know if i would need one that big

If you get in to it yea you'll need one that big and wished it was bigger. I mill 2 5gal. buckets full a year. I know you are smart enough to build one for 1/2 price. Check with your buddies you'll be surprised what parts they will have laying around, I have a friend here he likes fireworks and he installs sprinkler systems. We got to talking Sat. night now i have some variable size Gas mine tubes coming.

Here's my homemade

post-13371-0-71416000-1502109211_thumb.jpg

I have both the Hobfir and Rebel mills and I'd recommend going straight for the Rebel. I can mill 26 ounces in it in 2 hours whereas the Hobfir will do a pound or so in 4 hours. I mainly use the smaller one for milling single chems now.

3 and 4"shells eat BP like a fat kid on pie!

Edited by OldMarine
  • Like 1

no lie here. +1 Pat. when i really get going and mill the hell out of some b.p. and think i have a good stash building up, then i granulate and that huge pile gets way smaller. then start loading shells and it disappears like beer at a frat party.

• Like 1

I'm never quite sure about that one... I mean... 3-400USD markup? Yes, he did everything. But the stock one is 250-260 USD from eBay.

Anyone try one if these 'brass tumblers'? Gear driven, so idk if the rotational speed is correct or close enough for bp. Media would have to be changed out to hardened lead.

Rotation speed would be fine. But they aren't built for the same kind of weights we use, so it might not turn at it's supposed speed. Or at all.

Edited by MrB

i just thought of something guys

i already have the giant ball mill at work it would be no issue to use it , i would just need to make a new drum for it , and i would need to buy some pulleys to slow it down , ill check the motor on i today , but i believe its at least 1hp, might even be more though

edit

iirc the distance of the drive and roller would mean i need a drum atleast the diam of a 5gal bucket , ill take some pics today and see what u guys

Edited by RiderX

Yeah, put up some photos of the work mill.

Surely you could use a big container but still only mill small amounts in it, the noise might be a lot louder though.

Just make sure there is no chance anything can go wrong imagine if the BP was initiated inside at your work place and no one knew what you put in there. Not to mention if people were near it when it did.

That would be interesting to explain thats for sure

Yeah, put up some photos of the work mill.

Surely you could use a big container but still only mill small amounts in it, the noise might be a lot louder though.

Just make sure there is no chance anything can go wrong imagine if the BP was initiated inside at your work place and no one knew what you put in there. Not to mention if people were near it when it did.

That would be interesting to explain thats for sure

the mill is outside of the shop , because its noisy as can be ,i would deff let my boss know im milling stuff hes really cool about stuff like that , gimie about an hour and ill have some pics