APC Forum

spiking can shells

memo

I believe mason's twine is 100% synthetic fiber and will stretch too much and relax after spiking which is a very bad thing.

I've tried hemp twine which works great and just received a gift of linen twine that feels very stout. I used cotton butcher twine once but it left flaming streamers on just a dummy shell with little BP do it's a no go for me.

Ned Gorski from fireworking.com has the hemp twine sourced by Paul Moulder (aka Bangkokpyro) on his site. That's what I'm using now and it's great.

Licka,

Try the thinnest hemp at Walmart. The contractors twine is nylon at my HD and it will stretch allowing the shell to "hose break" and spit the stars out the side.

Try a shell and see. You will like the hemp a lot better! Don't forget cotton string, an 8ply cotton string is good stuff too!

Edited by dagabu

Butcher twine must be made from cotton shorts because in spite of its thickness it's weaker than some kite string I've seen.

walmart sounds OTC to me. Thanks OldMarine and dagabu, I'm unwinding the stuff I have on it right after I hit .

I bought some of those laser cut templates...marked all the lines making sure they were straight and STILL they look like crap,,,,i end up with a lump of string in the middle of the bottom disk and something else (cant really describe it) on the top disk......i sure do live up to my handle sometimes :wacko:

Pyronoob, you should have little buildup - top or bottom center - if you are following a proper off-center spiking pattern. Just watch this video by Ned and follow along, paying attention to the off-center technique.

• Like 1

I bought some of those laser cut templates...marked all the lines making sure they were straight and STILL they look like crap,,,,i end up with a lump of string in the middle of the bottom disk and something else (cant really describe it) on the top disk......i sure do live up to my handle sometimes :wacko:

Let me help you a bit: You need to use the offset method of can spiking, take a look below.

http://www.passfire.com/portals/1/images/volume1_1/technique1_1_1.jpg

See? No build up, here is how you do it. When you are spiking, remember left, right, left, right, got it? Tie the string off on the spolette and run it to the nearest line you made on the disk, draw it straight down and straight across the other disk, now STOP!

Move the string over to the LEFT one line, this will offset the pattern. Run the string down the shell, straight across the disk and STOP! Now move the string to the RIGHT of the spolette, one line. Repeat until the shell is done.

Just like this:

gallery_9798_43_2365.gif

thanks dag...i've watched ned's video numerous times and it sure "looks" easy...your directions helped tie things together (pun intended)

• 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you Guys

Your welcome!

Print those templates out on paper and glue them to your shells, they make learning the system a LOT faster!