APC Forum

spiking can shells

memo

I saw a video long ago with a seated Italian spiking small shells. The tarred string was in a ball behind him, it traveled under his butt and I bet it was under cardboard or something too, to a ring and back to him. He simple leaned to the side and pulled more string and spiked the shell.

While probably not good for pasted string, I use this method for tarred string too when doing several shells in one sitting.

I thought most tar was black and not brown. :P

Ned Gorski even once tried to use me as a spiking horse. :)

Immovable object vs unstoppable force?

I saw a video long ago with a seated Italian spiking small shells. The tarred string was in a ball behind him, it traveled under his butt and I bet it was under cardboard or something too, to a ring and back to him. He simple leaned to the side and pulled more string and spiked the shell.

While probably not good for pasted string, I use this method for tarred string too when doing several shells in one sitting.

Neat trick. Never thought of it. Should work fine with dry string as well.

I'll stay clear of the brown string.

B!

Immovable object vs unstoppable force?

Neat trick. Never thought of it. Should work fine with dry string as well.

I'll stay clear of the brown string.

B!

For years I used dry plain string in the seated spiking position and while it worked OK, the breaks never satisfied me. I would put a quick layer of diluted glue or paste over the shell and let dry to lock all the strings down and together now. Just me though, YMMV.

One thing I have notice about spiking, that never seems to be mentioned (maybe because it's so simple). If your spolette or time fuse isn't well centered, you'll never get a good even pattern on your spiking. As far as a spiking horse... I use two of the four threaded rods on my home made press :)

using the spiking templet has made a big differance , spiked some 4 inches yesterday. they were looking pretty good. i have seven more shells to lift and leader in the morning then get ready for a bbq and fireworks. hope everyone has a good 4th.

memo

Any one have ever tried to make double petal type in Spiked shells??

I am too tired of making hemispheres in home, its too time consuming.

Please answer this.

• Like 1

Sure you can, mostly though, you use comets on the outside and cut stars inside like the snip below.

gallery_9798_35_1656.jpg

I'd love to try something like that but I'll have to step up to 4" or 5" headers to do that. 3" is just too small for much arranging.

OM, just use 1/2" comets and use beginners chopsticks to stack them in rows. It's a slow method but as TR has shown hundreds of times, it works and works very well. Almost all of his shells are 2.62" on the former.

• Like 1

Pretty sure that's the size of the former I got from Mikeee. I believe my 1lb rockets would lift a 4" but Id have to upsize to 3lb to lift anything larger.

Pretty sure that's the size of the former I got from Mikeee. I believe my 1lb rockets would lift a 4" but Id have to upsize to 3lb to lift anything larger.

Sounds like you got reason for another experiment?

Sounds like you got reason for another experiment?

Just got a 1/2" starplate from Caleb so HMMMMM.....

Hmmmmm.... Indeed! :P

I am a HUGE fan of comets made from glitters like buttered popcorn or D1, 39J (has Ti) Miller gold and N1 glitter (Neds). They seem to offer a nice full sky when using a bright red or green inner pistil.

https://youtu.be/F27wnUDMtf0?t=139

• Like 1

I've got enough Brilliant Red and Green leftover to do some 'sperimenting. I may try the Buttered Popcorn since I've heard good things about it but haven't seen it in person yet.

Watch that video I linked to, that is some of TR's shells. I have yet to meet anybody that didn't like them.

I've probably watched every video of Tom''s stuff a dozen times. He is the Rocket God! (no offense meant to SLD)

Too bad, he already took offense.

Two different critters. TR uses rockets as a vehicle for the showpiece and Duke's rockets ARE the showpiece!

Well... MY rockets are a "showpiece" in the rack when they Cato. :P

Funny, i thought that was a showstopper. Oh well.

B!

Sure you can, mostly though, you use comets on the outside and cut stars inside like the snip below.

Thank you very much...!!

gallery_9798_35_1656.jpg

Thank you dag very much..!!

• Like 1

What if I used contactors twine (fluorescent yellow/green type) instead of hemp twine? If the twine is too strong it might what?

Cause the shell too not give/explode and just shoot fire out the fuse hole resulting in an epic failure? This is just speculation as I barely got the timing down on my modified foil wrapped visco time fuse. I just don't want to waste my time using this twine if its too strong. Can it be too strong? These are just a lot of random thoughts I'm posting without asking directly for help, per se. But if someone sees using this contractors twine from home depot as a problem I'd more than appreciate them steering me in the right direction. Any California pyros know of an OTC source of hemp twine or a pyro friendly twine to use for spiking?

Edited by WindowLicka