APC Forum

Kit Visco Machine

Twignberry

• 2 weeks later...

Twignberry you obviously have a brain for engineering and manufacturing so I was wondering when you have finalized the visco machine would you consider doing shell pasting machines, most of us are only after a simple version that can just wrap ball shells but don't have the money for the more complex ones like the WASP one. Going by some of the other pasting machine designs I have seen it wouldn't take as much time to develop a reliable one that we could purchase.

Would anybody else be interested in a shell pasting machine, if there was a market for it maybe Twignberry might consider?

Would anybody else be interested in a shell pasting machine, if there was a market for it maybe Twignberry might consider?

Possibly, yes. I do enjoy the therapeutic sessions when i paste my shells, but i have been thinking about some simple machinery to paste the bulk of the shells.

B!

It's been done. The WASP is NOT a "complex" machine; it's about as simple as can be -- two stepper motors and a little software!

Kyle Kepley (over on Passfire.com) also published a public-domain design for a shell paster that works much like (but simpler) than the Chinese pasters.

Before you "re-invent the wheel", check out those thoroughly.

Lloyd

• Like 1

Hi Twignberry,

It’s no doubt that your machine is great, but recently with close inspection of some Chinese visco I have found that it has another two layers, first one is a thread layer just to hold the powder core and then a thin poly layer which is spirally wound around after that and finally two thread layers as usual. I think it makes the visco more robust, more waterproof and reliable.

You are indeed genius in machine designing, so if you anyhow arrange to do the same by some modification, your machine would be unbeatable. Although it will become more complex and costly I think. Here are some pictures of my findings.

post-13982-0-08534400-1471763223_thumb.jpg

post-13982-0-00410800-1471763259_thumb.jpg

post-13982-0-53669900-1471763275_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It's been done. The WASP is NOT a "complex" machine; it's about as simple as can be -- two stepper motors and a little software!

Kyle Kepley (over on Passfire.com) also published a public-domain design for a shell paster that works much like (but simpler) than the Chinese pasters.

Before you "re-invent the wheel", check out those thoroughly.

Lloyd

Cheers. I probably shouldn't have worded it as "complex". The WASP system is amazing but pricey. I was looking at a budget pasting machine.

Would it be possible to use a sewing machine to coat the match strands with a narrow hemming stitch. It could prove to be far more simple than building a complicated spooling apparatus. Several layers could be applied and a coat of nc would finish it off.

I may pull the wife's sewing machine out.....scratch that if I get bp all over her stuff she'll be upset. I could try it with just uncoated string first. If it works well I will buy my own machine.

Never use anything that she thinks of as HERS. Hospital beds are not comfortable divorce courts even less so and just as expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, a long roll of paper, feed through a die that wraps it around the first layer of strings is how it's generally done.Making it wrap in the same direction as the next layer of thread causes it to close properly. I'm thinking there might be a issue with how hard the strings pull, you might need to pull harder once the paper is added to the design, but then the die should help counter it, so it's mostly a matter of making sure the motor manages to do the job. But it's only theory at this point, I'm nowhere near a point where i can pretend to be thinking about a design for the addon. First thing would be to get to grips with the machine it self, and then overcome the cozy lazyness of just using it as is.

But i need fuse with higher tensile strength, for making cakes and such. So i want it. Which doesn't mean i'll get around to making it. There is perfectly usable workarounds, that you can easily use instead of stringing all the tubes together on a continues fuse.

B!

You are right about the paper being in the fuse, if you watch the video posted it's explained about the paper being fed in there as well. Hopefully the final machine he makes is capable of this.

• 4 weeks later...

With all the talk about this great machine, the real excitement will be when everyone who are buying one get theirs. It is going to add so much information as to what formulas work best, how to make everything from straight fuse to flying fish fuse. That will really open up a new and exciting topic in its own right. One question why did you changed the design to a straight in-line run instead of the 90 degree turn of the bottom wrapping wheel? It is a great machine as is......Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, a quick update, the first machine is out in the wild now but I desperately need a few more Aussies to jump on board for testing. For $250 AUD plus shipping you will get the full machine, coating tool and one on one support. Any upgrades that come from feedback will be sent out free of charge.

Instructions are at about a 90% state and can be found here

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1uhWiRwp3dJQ1ZkeTRsUzRhS2c

Pats, I hope so. To answer your question, I reoriented it to simplify and shrink the machine as the 90 deg bend was not giving me the advantage I wanted.

It was meant to reduce powder dump on the second spool and make it easier to thread. As it is now, there is less powder getting on the second spool threads, and it is just as easy to thread with a 30% size reduction to boot.

• Like 1

You are right about the paper being in the fuse, if you watch the video posted it's explained about the paper being fed in there as well. Hopefully the final machine he makes is capable of this.

I don't see it happening. He went in a different direction, and with the 2 dies in line with one and other, it's a lot harder to add the paper layer. It's a crazy neat machine, and i might try and get one regardless, but i really would like the added strength of the paper layer.

@Twignberry, mad machine. Cant wait for it to be "done" so we can start figuring out what it's "really" going to cost us, shipping and all.

B!

Your machine reminds me of building Rc airplane kits. Opening a box of precision cut wood parts that all fit together to form a complex structure.

Looking through your instruction manual makes me even more excited to get my hands on one when there ready.

Reall cool machine Twignberry, with great engineering and design work.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Last thing i heard was Lloyd stating that he might be able to sell them in US, but that terms and agreements had yet to fall in place. So, even tho it's "not yet" you might still be able to get one...

Well if he is selling these I def want one. Nice looking machine and would just add another level to the hobby. Plus would be great to always have a good supply of Visco that I made myself.

• 2 months later...
Has anyone been able to find if the kit is for sale yet? I am working on making one out of aluminum and Lexan but would love to by a kit