APC Forum

Willow Alternatives [Beware 56K]

Mumbles

My Fastest charcoals: Black Willow, Blasa, Red Alder, and Poplar. I have yet to get ahold of Paulownia. Balsa and Poplar are both faster than Black Willow.

Oh okay, thanks. Darn, there goes my easy possible source of charcoal.

dont you have any trees nearby you?

i have heard people making from various types of trees. the trees mentioned here are the best for the purpose and the easyest to work with. but i believe that for simple not very good BP you can use almost any tree.

dont you have any trees nearby you?

i have heard people making from various types of trees. the trees mentioned here are the best for the purpose and the easyest to work with. but i believe that for simple not very good BP you can use almost any tree.

I do have trees near by me but they are either

A) Too small to chop a nice ammount of wood from

B) On someone else property

I am thinking about "pruning" the willow tree by the park near my house at night sometime though.

ltf, it performs well so far from what I can see. You just need to let it dry because after grinding it gets slightly moist. Once dry, great. Easy air float right there.

Has anyone tried using charcoal made from easily available woods for BP? By easily available I mean wood you can buy at lumber stores as 2x4s and other sizes. I may pick up some Spruce or White Pine to see how they perform.

I have yet to use my white pine in BP, but in other comps it performs alright.

I have a kilo of poplar I need to cook. Poplar is rumored to make some fast BP, and if it is easily avaliable, it should be very promising.

I just aquired 7 8ft long spruce (aka white pine) 2x4s, and I will be cooking some up tomorrow, and I should have some BP made using this wood ready by the end of the weekend. I am told it will beat weeping willow in burn rate and shell lifting ability, but not black willow.

I just aquired 7 8ft long spruce (aka white pine) 2x4s, and I will be cooking some up tomorrow, and I should have some BP made using this wood ready by the end of the weekend. I am told it will beat weeping willow in burn rate and shell lifting ability, but not black willow.

Just thought i'd say that Spruce is not white pine. Spruce is another type of tree.

White Pine

http://oregonstate.edu/trees/con/spp/big/wwp74.jpg

Spruce

http://www.borealforest.org/trees/white_spruce.jpg

See the difference?

True, but the properties of the actual wood are so close, that there really is no point attempting to differentiate between them when attempting to make charcoal.

I split some of the wood up and it is sitting in the cooker right now, but I am not going to cook it until tomorrow, seeing as though the cops are patrolling the neighborhood due to a party down the road, and I dont have my campfire permit yet. Dont want to attract any unnessesary attention.

I recently cooked some of my own charcoal using local weeping willow. There are two in my village, one in the church and one outside a school. They have pruned the church one so I just go along and take some branches from the pile beside the tree. Its damn fast. The only thing I will say is that after granulating it through a sieve I do have to use quite a large amount to get decent performance. If something says use 25% I will have to use 33%.

Saying this I do get good breaks on shells and they launch really high. Soon I will try out some Alder. The council grow it in cities - I just need to find some branches on the ground. There also is a red maple just around the corner from my house. I will give that a try. I shall do some burn tests on both of these trees and post the results I get here in the next couple of weeks.

I would reccomend to anyone that the cook their own charcoal from the beginning of this threed. It only takes 30 mins to an hour and you get enough to last you months. I used to use shop bought lump wood hardwood charcoal. Its ok for BP rockets and fountains but at around £3 for 5 kilos I am not sure its worth it. Just buy some charcoal and use it to cook some of your own!

Lately when I've made charcoal, i've been using this type of long grass/hay type stuff that grows around the property. Soon i'm going to compare it side by side with some willow that i'll be ordering. Comparing it from memory though, to my older willow made bp, this grass has actually done a very very nice job. Me and a buddy were just being random and used about 50g of some meal powder of mine and made a very nice salute. It tore the break fluid container that we used in half. Usually, with the willow, the cap would simply have just flown off. I also found it to be more fun making bp with my own charcoal. B)

• 3 weeks later...
I have made a lot of BP out of 2x4's scrounged from construction sites. It makes very good BP, but it can definately be beaten. Newspaper C is my best so far.

• 3 weeks later...

It appears not all Home Depots carry Scotts Charcoal - at least the one near my house does not.

I'm going to try Lowes here in a few days when I have the time. I got my bag of Green Light dusting sulfur there last year.

EDIT 07/03/2006: Lowes in my area does not carry Scotts Charcoal either. Finding this product may depend on your region. I'm going to try to hit up a true gardening store and see if they have any.

• 3 weeks later...

Another charcoal alternative: Activated Carbon.

I made some BP with this and it was a pretty fierce burn, but it wasn't very flame-sensitive and it wasn't fast enough to make a bang with a water bottle, just melted through the side.

Of course, I've been having trouble obtaining charcoal, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

I think it was said many times that activated charcoal is crap for BP. And as you found out for yourself it won't make a bang in a bottle salute when BP made with other charcoals almost certanly will.

• 2 weeks later...

Normal charcoal contains hydrocabon goodies and such. Activated carbon is roasted and toasted beyond recognition. No goodies to speed the burnrate.

Activated is no good for anything remotely fast, though it can be used as a retardant or a very slow charcoal, I suppose.

I don't know if I made it wrong or what, but my newspaper charcoal sucks hard.

In my container though, some of the packed newspaper turned black and other parts barely turned yellow...

Back to homemade willow it is.

When I made newspaper charcoal, I had pretty much a tight roll that fit snugly in the can. All of it turned black. The thing is that it will still spew a tiny bit of smoke for a long time when cooking before finally stopping. the smoke stops VERY gradually.

• 1 year later...

Gee you don't have to write that in every thread existing ^_^

But actually, blasa is no good alternative due to the price.

Balsa = expensive, Willow = free.

I don't think balsa is too expensive. I got 10 pounds of it for $20 shipped. I don't know where to get willow for free.