APC Forum

KNO3/Sugar rockets!!!

Fried Chicken

I use mm, being in uk and all. You do have access to the info you need and the tubes, just looking in the wrong place.

Using PVC is worse here, it looks like a destructive device not a firework.

Dan.

Would it be worth trying 65:25:10 kn:su:sulphur? (Or whatever ratio you guys think) and I'm just dry ramming the mix for now until I get used to the ratios etc. was my 4mm nozzle ok or should I try a smaller/larger?

I won't agree with dangerousamaetur that adding sulphur won't work, I had succes with 60/30/10 Kno3/Sugar/Sulphur, but this mix have less power than using Iron oxide. 4mm nozzle should work just fine.

If you have a coffee grinder, just throw some table sugar in there and 30 seconds later it will be powdered. Same goes with your KNO3, it needs to be powdered, not granules or prills.

I had some bad succes with coffe grinding sugar, it broke my coffe grinder. My guess is that some sugar somehow went to motor and it started to melt, and then cool down, sugar glued motor or something like that. I use powdered sugar and it works just fine.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm sorry I don't know inches so will try and work it out for you. So from reading the replies should I use paper tube 4" long (100mm) with a core of 3/4 the length and a nozzle of 4mm again. Sticking to 65:35 knsu with 1% iron oxide? How thick should the plug and nozzle be?

Thanks again for the replies these probably seem like stupid questions to you. Being in uk there's not much help for amateur rocketry that I've found. Cheers.

Yes, try that configuration and fuel, then see how it flies. The nozzle I would say to shoot for something around 3/4 of the ID of the tube. A bit of taper on your tooling would not hurt for better flow of gasses.

No worries about the questions, that's what the forums for! A lot of people have trouble with rockets starting out, especially sugar ones. They can be tricky to get working good sometimes.

Thanks again for all the replies. Can't wait to get one to work properly lol. I have ordered some iron, some sulfur and some paper tubes. i will have another try once they come. The one I tried the other day just seemed to have loads of smoke coming out the nozzle but didn't seem to go anywhere then once it lifted off there was no fuel left to get any hight and it died. Good to watch but disappointing all the same.

Cheers

If you have slow fuel, you should start with smaller ID rockets like 10mm. Once you get it right, you can move to bigger stuff.

i have been buying from http://www.oliverbrown.co.uk/acatalog/Paper_Tubes__End_Caps.html

which of these tubes would people recomend for starting out and getting used to the knsu rockets etc?

also what would be best to try first sulphur or iron as a catalist? theres so much info and ratios/mixes ive read i dont know where to start.

cheers

Just try the red iron oxide, the sulfur is another fuel, it will not catalyse the fuel and make it burn faster. Just 1% of the oxide will almost double the burn rate of sugar fuels.

The red tubes on there would probably be a good starting place. I would think getting tubes that were spec'd to inches would give you troubles if the dowel rods and such in the UK are spec'd in mm.

The 1/2"x5" and 3/4"x7.5" are both standard lengths for black powder core burners of those sizes. So if you buy tooling for such rockets from someone in the US, those tubes are what you would use.

Edited by psyco_1322
  • Like 1

Just try the red iron oxide, the sulfur is another fuel, it will not catalyse the fuel and make it burn faster. Just 1% of the oxide will almost double the burn rate of sugar fuels.

The red tubes on there would probably be a good starting place. I would think getting tubes that were spec'd to inches would give you troubles if the dowel rods and such in the UK are spec'd in mm.

The 1/2"x5" and 3/4"x7.5" are both standard lengths for black powder core burners of those sizes. So if you buy tooling for such rockets from someone in the US, those tubes are what you would use.

hi tooling isnt an issue as they also sell that. thanks for all the help so far nd i will let you know how it comes once i get the iron oxide and a dry day. cheers

• 5 weeks later...

Adding a small amount of NaCl (salt) to your KnSu mixture will make your rocket slower.

This is awesome if your rocket is too slow and its uncontrollable.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

G'day guys, Do you fellas boil the KNO3 and sugar...... or grind them together?

I'm new here too, I have taken the time to read all 16 pages of this thread.

From what I read, It can be made ether way. Or even made buy heating dry. It seems to be that by desolving the mixture in water and then cooking out the water

blends the the KNO3 SU the best. Also see the Bottle Rocket thread.

Lots of good information here. The question I have is about the tooling. Are the nozzle size and cores the same for BP and KNO3 SU?

Edited by Dodad