APC Forum

roger's pyrotechnic offerings and experiments

rogeryermaw

Roger, that looked damn good to me..... wow. You are gonna LOVE phenolic. Say goodbye to red gum forever.

Much appreciated! The comp calls for 7% redgum. I used 6% so about .85:1 ratio replacement. I do like the phenolic quite a bit. I see better purity to the color without the annoying red tips to the flame.

That was a very nice looking blue. Nice work.

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

three color tests i did tonight: red rubber with phenolic resin, green rubber with phenolic and the spanish blue which is a little more modified.

• Like 1

Cut these firefly stars last night. Couple hours in the dry box today and:

Nice! I've got the aluminum so I reckon I need to cut some this week.

patrick, this formula is known as "flaming shit falls on you" fireflies. it uses a rather coarse charcoal and for the flake aluminum, i got the 18 mesh from Tim and screened out from 20 down to 30 and used the portion retained on 30 mesh screen.

Yeah, I've got the K-101 and 102 aluminums but haven't had time to make the comp nor a place fireproof enough to test them. I plan on using the variation called Fireflies on Cocaine (or Flaming Shit Falls On You) found in the FW formulary. With a name like that, how can we not try it?

i should have shot these harder...but man!!!i love glitters!!! these are some of the best i have made to date. hope they perform this well in a shell.

• Like 1

Since that last shot was kind of weak, here is a better one:

Yay! Finally a blue that i like and it stays lit from a shell break:

The symmetry obviously isn't perfect but it wasn't meant to be...just wanted a quick test if they would handle break force and stay lit. Success!

These blues are made with perc from crossout.

Edited by rogeryermaw

• 3 weeks later...

As any pyro knows, there IS a best way to dispose of pyrotechnic leftovers:

Could have used a bit of prime on the glitter

• Like 1

I like your method of disposal! I do the same.

tonight's entertainment off in the sticks of darkest redneck arkansas:

"woo hoo boys we gonna go blow some shit up!!"

post-19283-0-22318500-1501210765_thumb.jpg

finished specs:

426 grams (without lift)

11 layers 1" gummed tape

fireflies on cocaine cut 3/8" w/slight modifications

burst 3fa b.p. no booster

lift 31 grams 2fa b.p.

20" 4 strand q.m. leader

tonight's entertainment off in the sticks of darkest redneck arkansas:

"woo hoo boys we gonna go blow some shit up!!"

attachicon.gifshel.jpg

finished specs:

426 grams (without lift)

11 layers 1" gummed tape

fireflies on cocaine cut 3/8" w/slight modifications

burst 3fa b.p. no booster

lift 31 grams 2fa b.p.

20" 4 strand q.m. leader

I hate to correct you but if your lawn and neighbor's house didn't catch fire it's known as "Fireflies on Cocaine."

One must differentiate the two since there's that subtle difference! :wacko:

Looked very good!

Edited by OldMarine
  • Like 1

I do love this comp. My alterations are limited to manipulation of the mesh sizes of the coarse charcoal and the aluminum flake. I chose larger flake on a suggestion from mumbles. He said if you keep the smaller mesh aluminum in the mix (as in not grading it after you buy it), it ruins the surprise. Smaller flake will start reacting earlier, flashing before the charcoal effect wears off. I shoot these extra high and still fallout glows until about 15-20 above the tallest trees nearby.

Maybe I missed it, but what was the modified formula you used for the Spanish blue, and how did you process them?

Wiley i just dropped the dextrin and red gum in favor of phenolic resin. the dextrin has a lower fuel value so i used about 1-2% less.

"It's never done. There is always a new formula or method to be tested and hundreds of tweaks"

Roger---that's what is great about pyro, so much raw experimentation and potentially new and cool things to discover...And a forum to share them with like-minded pros ✴

Edited by PeteyPyro

Good greens, and great REDS! Nice work, Roger. Enjoying the well shot shells & videos.

Thanks Pete! My crappy phone camera doesn't do justice to the green....or maybe i need to get the barium chlorate back out of storage.

Had some more scraps to dispose of. Still do. Gonna have to shoot one tomorrow...aww shucks. You can tell how disappointing that is!!

• Like 3

Roger, the phone camera seemed to pick-up the copper, strontium in the mine fairly well. It almost seemed to go full rainbow for a bit. Nice. If you can manually dial down the exposure at night, that may help a good deal. (I used to work on video cameras and greens tend to bloom and bleach out to white when saturated).

I'll look into that. Not sure it's in the programming. This is a galaxy/samsung but off the shelf straight talk phone. Certainly not the best. That said it does a fair job capturing blue which i have the most trouble recording. Anyone out there have advice to improve this device's capability?