APC Forum

roger's pyrotechnic offerings and experiments

rogeryermaw

Thanks Ryan. This is a wealth of info on those persnickety little boogers! You've given

me some things to try. I have had a couple of very successful batches but they seems hard to duplicate.

How's fatherhood treating you? How is your little one? Finding your groove yet?

Damn...damn damn damn! The inner petal failed to ignite. On the plus side it was my first attempt at split comets and they worked well. Back to work.....

Edited by rogeryermaw

Roger, first off... MAN you NAILED the green strobe! That is the exact effect I am trying to get. Absolutely perfect DON'T change it! Secondly, I am glad to see another pyro that puts rising comets on all his shells.. :) hehe. It's one of my favorite effects of aerial shells, I put them on ALL of mine. Also,taking the good advice from a few folks on the forum (thanks Mumbles and Xtreme Pyro), I rolled a batch of N1 glitter instead of D1... and MAN what a difference! I love D1, but now that I have rolled N1 I truly doubt I will ever use the D1 comp again. The best way I can describe N1... it is a perfected version of D1. It seems to sparkle more, has a slightly deeper color, and hangs for a lot longer in the air. I highly recommend you try it. Heck, you may know about it already.. but if not, it is the answer for long hang time. It is AWESOME!

N1 - KNO3:51, Sulfur:15, Airfloat:10, Aluminum (-325 mesh sph):8, Sodium Bicarb:12, Dex:4.

• 2 weeks later...

N1 sure is nice. It is supposed to be best using spherical al. I've tried both, the difference isnt big but its there. I like to make matrix stars with the comp, its really worth a try!

Attachment: Happy day today :) the picture says the rest!

post-18744-0-85814200-1424201100_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

thank you to everyone who has looked through here and had questions or has helped me to answer mine. i will be taking a long undefined break from all my hobbies to concentrate on rebuilding my life. depression is a bitch and i'm doing all i can to keep it from winning but circumstances have gotten the best of me. my mother passed away on the 24th last month and we only had her in the ground a couple of days when my home burned to nothing (no worries it was not pyro related and no one was hurt except for a few minor burns and some smoke inhalation. i suspect mice in the wiring. that's always a possibility when you live in a very rural area. next time i'll pipe with emt or rigid pipe). anyway the rebuilding will be cost intensive so there is just no time or money for fun for a while.

please do not misread and think i am asking for anything, as that is not the case. except for dag and caleb, from who(whom?) i would like to repurchase all the tools i had gotten previously. yes i did keep my tools in the house and aluminum did not survive the heat. fortunately i did not keep oxidizers or fuels around my dwelling or it could have been MUCH WORSE. also from mikeee i'll be wanting new case formers. i'll send pm's a little later. thanks for everything.

So you did decide to rebuild? Once again, I'm very sorry for your loss(es). If we lived closer to each other, I'd be stoping by with a case of beer, and open ears. The distance between us makes the former very impractical, but as for the latter I'm here for you buddy. Hope all went well yesterday. Best wishes.

So sorry to hear of your loss, Roger. Glad you are safe and time will help with healing.

Hate to hear that Roger. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

I can relate Roger. Depression is indeed a bitch. I found some support groups where I could share with others that have been through the same thing, and it helped me.

One of my best friends found out his mom had terminal cancer, and he and I talked every night, got together as best as we could, went out and shared food, none of it seemed to help until he went to the group meetings the local hospital sponsored where they could talk about similar circumstances.

I went through a divorce, did the same thing, none of the talk and encouragement my friends gave me helped until I found a group that can relate to what I was going through.

I am far from a professional counselor, but just wanted to share some words that may help you in this difficult and painful part of your life.

Off topic, but this song seems to inspire me in my down times...

Try to keep a stiff upper lip Roger, look on the bright side, do the right thing, I think It will work out for you.

Thank you all for the kindness. It means a lot to know people care when you're headed for bottom. And very true that most of the pains will fade, the burns will heal and I wasn't born with any of that "stuff" and it stays here when I go. Yes it sucks to watch your efforts disappear in minutes but its just stuff. I'm down but not finished by a long shot. It's just going to take time to climb back up.

Walking in to watch my mother's life fade....now that will be hard to get past. Like many others in their own family, one can say she's at peace or no more pain or suffering but anyone who's lived through it knows you can never truly be ready to say goodbye.

Your encouragements are appreciated and will help me find strength to keep doing what I need to do. Thank you.

Parents... All i know is i refused to go in and say "goodbye" when mom was knocked out, and on lifesupport. I wanted to remember her, not all the tubes and beeps, and she wasn't awake to know if i was, or wasn't around. And then it was all over as they pulled the plug. Losing a parent sucks. To have the house burn down on top of it.... What else is next?

Best wishes Roger.

B!

thanks B. here's an amusing aside:

the mindset of a true pyro. the other day i was digging through the mess to find what was left of my rifles. i had a WASR 10 romanian ak-47 and an antique remington model 24 (that was a big loss as the .22 was from my grandfather). they were destroyed by heat and the metal lost its temper...unrestorable...at least they'll never fire again. anyway, as i was looking around i noticed a 2x4 that was still standing...all blackened and such. what thought went through my mind? wondering if it would make good black powder!!

• Like 1

DAMN! I am truly sorry for your losses, you also have my deepest sympathy and support in dealing with depression, it is indeed a beeautch! Talking about it is the biggest first step, keep moving, stay away from depressants and keep us close.

I got your back my friend, whatever you lost I will replace gratis. I just paid for convention and have enough for gas there and back so I made my goal for the year, it's time to give back!

Go through our PM's and emails, put a list together and I will start turning some shiny new aluminum for you!

God Bless and grab that 2x4, it will make fine BP!

Edited by dagabu

That's the spirit Roger, always look on the bright side of life! I am sure there is at least one Monty Python fan out there that just whistled the tune in their head. :P

Rodger , I too feel your pain of loss. I loss a very dear father in law last year , and as you say words do no justice . I hope you heal from this, and later it brings you a strength you didnt know you had. Cherish those good memories as they will bring you a happy moment when all seems at lost. Take care friend.

...I got your back my friend, whatever you lost I will replace gratis. I just paid for convention and have enough for gas there and back so I made my goal for the year, it's time to give back...

Dagabu, you're an awesome person. Thank you for doing this. The world needs more people like you.

• Like 1

Roger, I am so sorry for your loss. Thank God that everyone survived the fire. It could have been so much worse! You will rebuild and be building shells again before you know it. As for your Mother, I am so sorry. I am very close with my parents, and every single one of us has to go through losing parents someday, it is part of life...you are not alone friend. Praying for you! Listen to a lot of music, and go on long walks while doing so. It will help more than you might think.

Dagabu, you're an awesome person. Thank you for doing this. The world needs more people like you.

Thanks BB, both you and I know the good this place can do, we all have it in us to give back. I am willing to start a fund raiser for Roger if somebody else is willing to do the collection and such.

• Like 1

I've already discussed it with Roger, and he declined. I'm hoping he changes his mind, as I'm sure a little cash would slightly better his situation.

just that you are willing to consider it is awesome, gentlemen! but honestly i can't take anything when i feel as though i am not in need. after mom died my pop is in his house all alone. that doesn't sit well with me so i've been at his place and he's in no hurry to change the status. my kid's won't suffer from this at all and all this mess just makes our family tighter and more cohesive. ther rest is just replaceable stuff. no amount of money can get back the baby pics and things handed down through family so we start new memories. i am in agreement that keeping busy will be invaluable so i'm going to invest in some new tools to replace what's gone, and, fortunately, the majority of my tools were in my car (old habit) so that won't be too hard. then i'm going to start replacing my pyro equipment.

dag, your offer is too generous for me. i'll put together the list but i insist we work out a price for the tools. you are a craftsman and your work is excellent. it was worth every penny i paid and i know it will be again.

i hadn't milled anything in a while so i had my mill stored away. that'll be the first thing i replace along with my lead. i dug the old mill jar out and the lead was fused in it. it should be fine to melt and recast if anyone is interested.

I'm sorry this is late, I have'nt looked into this thread in a bit.

You and your family are in my prayers. Sorry for your loss. seriously.

Sorry to hear about your loss Roger. I lost my father to cancer about 2 years ago and can empathise on that level. To lose your house as well in a freak incident is beyond my comprehension. Hope you get things back on track asap.