APC Forum

Help with green star

Merlin

Besides purple, most everything I know about optical colors came from Lloyd S.

I agree that Ned is great about experimenting with various things, and presenting them to the masses in an easily understandable fashion. I don't feel it's intentional, but I do wish he was better at giving appropriate references/credit. He does get the credit for a lot of other people's work, and the way Fireworking is setup, will probably only get worse.

I work in a very credit/reference driven field, so maybe I'm just more conscious of stuff like this. I know there is nothing malicious going on or anything.

Life's too short to worry about those things, About the time we get all puffed up thinking how good we are something comes along to remind us we are just humans and will be having someone help us change our diapers soon.

Ned is just a good solid teacher. Many others are like him but we can't see them cause they don't make themselves available to all like he does. I bet it would be great to work alongside Swisher, Lloyd and many others that are not near as dignified. We forget there are simple people doing this everyday their whole lives making things we can only dream of. We could learn a lot from working in a factory in china for a year. Or Italy, Would that information be ours? Or just somebody elses hard work.

No matter. I wish a lot more ( Experienced Amatures or Professionals ) would make videos or share projects with the forums. Life does have a way of getting in the way though,

ohhhhh. rambling done.. sorry. :) Someone told me we ramble when tired.... That's true today for sure.

Ned does give credit to both Troy and Gary in his Skylighter tutorial on making rubber stars. Like Caleb stated, Gorski is given credit sometimes because he took the time to extrapolate and present all the information to the masses.

I pretty much agree with Caleb. I have noticed that folks in this hobby like to attach their name to things... maybe it's a hopeful legacy thing, or maybe just the competitive nature of things.

That's a good idea Dan... I am going to make a tutorial, and then try and convince everybody I invented black powder!!! :P

Ned does give credit to both Troy and Gary in his Skylighter tutorial on making rubber stars. Like Caleb stated, Gorski is given credit sometimes because he took the time to extrapolate and present all the information to the masses.

I think one issue is that Ned doesn't credit everybody the way the Swish does. There is a fine line between 'name dropping' and citing your source. Ned seems to shy away from notoriety but doesn't claim anything as his own normally. It's all supposition in any case.

I pretty much agree with Caleb. I have noticed that folks in this hobby like to attach their name to things... maybe it's a hopeful legacy thing, or maybe just the competitive nature of things.

Yupper, The Foster Method etc. Both the competitive nature and legacy issue, I'm afraid. Some even sign the bottom of their bases!

and there are the guys that take credit for anothers design, some have gone as far as to patent age old ideas!

In fairness... you have no idea what his patent application is, but it is fun to assume and get all worked up at times. :D

This isn't the first time Ryan (FlaMtnBkr) has gone after Ned for this exact same subject... somehow it's Ned's fault that a newb mistakenly thought Ned invented something since he's the author of the tutorial. Having to cite the "inventor" of every process, task, procedure, etc would actually get annoying after awhile. It must be the "artsy" part of the hobby... because I can't think of one example where someone does work out in the real world, and claims ownership of the process. There are so many "tricks of the trade" that you eventually learn "hands on"... but now we name putting a tiny bit of comp without metal in the top of a star plate after someone?

Soon we'll have to pay royalties to use those processes...

Edited by ddewees

and there are the guys that take credit for anothers design, some have gone as far as to patent age old ideas!

LOL! I love you Maser! :P

If I ever make a set of tools that are a masterpiece I am gonna sign them!!!!! But until then, What if they Suck!!!!!

OK my 3 in rocket tooling is pretty dang cool looking but, far from perfect!!! :whistle: :whistle:

I made 12 lbs of super whistle for it!!! does that count?

I need to wax some tubes and give it a go. Been busy.. Tools don't make themselves you know!!!

I know it looks like I am always just sitting around playing on the computer but.... My computer is only a few feet from the lathe. :)

... somehow it's Ned's fault that a newb mistakenly thought Ned invented something since he's the author of the tutorial. Having to cite the "inventor" of every process, task, procedure, etc would actually get annoying after awhile.

In my "defense," I never stated nor infered that Gorski or Veline invented the concept of parlon binding or using red and green light to produce yellow. I was refering to their published color formula methods. Also Gary Smith was not included in my statement because his published formula incorporates a chemical yellow from cryolite, so therefore is not relevant to my statement. I have never seen Troy's yellow, so I cannot comment on that. Sorry, I didn't mean to stir up a great big shit pot...

You will be my favorite person period if my number pops up on the Christmas Day drawing... :D

I don't feel it's intentional, but I do wish he was better at giving appropriate references/credit. He does get the credit for a lot of other people's work, and the way Fireworking is setup, will probably only get worse.

The only way it will change is if someone keeps reminding him.

Preferably without behaving like an arse every time. You seam civil enough. *hint* It's not like you got anything else to do thats real important, is it? Oh, right, Admin here, organic chemistry in real life... Perhaps we should find someone else...

Jesting, of course. But there is some what of a core truth to it. If he doesn't credit the sources, and nobody says anything, it's never going to get credited.

B!

I wasn't going after Ned and I believe I said almost exactly what I did above one other time in reference to milling or blending a small part of fuel with the oxidizer. If anything, I'm going after the people that don't take time to read and learn and realize that there is very little new under the sun and not everything that Ned does is something he came up with. Someone can be a good teacher, but they rarely write the textbook.

Whatever.

This is my green, props to the guy who made this composition, by far the best green I have ever made/seen.

Ba(NO3)2 - 60

MgAl -325 - 15

Parlon - 20

Red Gum - 5

Apparently they are supposed to be cut using Acetone as a solvent, however this makes a mess. Add 3 - 5 % dextrine or SGRS and bind with water. Haven't had a problem with them lighting, and I roll these. I use the same prime for all my rolled stars,

KClO4 - 75

Charcoal - 15

Red Gum - 10

MgAl - 10

Dextrine - 5

And a thin dusting of green mix over the prime to make sure it ignites. This can take a very hard flash bag in a canister shell. I've gone up to 15g of medium 70/30 in a 4" canister with no problems, but this size of a flash bag is overkill, was merely testing something.

• Like 1

Favorite person in Kentucky!! Boyd Crowder!!

I miss the butcher guy! Tons of great characters!!! I hope they get another show like that. last season was a little dissapointing. Maybe they will bring back the old feeling this year!

Favorite person in Kentucky!! Boyd Crowder!!

I miss the butcher guy! Tons of great characters!!! I hope they get another show like that. last season was a little dissapointing. Maybe they will bring back the old feeling this year!

I hear ya... but it wasn't all bad though, the Crowe family was pretty entertaining. This will be their last year though.

:( :( I know.........Raylan is a character I will miss.......It was better than Dexter there for a while...

Haven't watched Dexter... good?

I tried watching Deadwood, and just couldn't get into it... and his character wasn't anything like what I had hoped for.