APC Forum

How would I make the most effective fuse

gun410

I tried the black match I didn't go we'll for me. Also I tried making a fuse using the match tips (the red part) then I crushed them and got them wet the dried them I worked good but,if it was super glued or taped if would just go out. Can you give me Ideas to make fuses.

also I tried to find them at store but with no success.

Thanks

This video is an excellent guide for making fuses

The KNo3 he uses comes in the form of "Spectracide" stump remover available at your local "Lowe's" hardware store. Its much more expensive per pound than buying it from eBay though.

Edited by DontTreadOnMe76

The KNo3 he uses comes in the form of "Spectracide" stump remover available at your local "Lowe's" hardware store. Its much more expensive per pound than buying it from eBay though.

i also tried it but some times stops i don't think it is reliably.

It's a reasonable, easy to make , use it now fuse. But it's not really a good fuse.

i also tried it but some times stops i don't think it is reliably.

Normally i wouldn't say this, but, here goes. Your to sloppy, and don't have enough patience. I'd suggest looking for a different hobby, before you get yourself (preferably) or someone else (god forbid) hurt, or even killed. Now, why do i say this? Basically, i don't see how you could "fail" at making the cotton yarn fuse. Sugar and KNO3 isn't substances your likely to fail getting your hands on, and hence have the wrong stuff, and cotton yarn... Well, it says so on the packaging. Cotton. Can be bought pretty much everywhere. So, if this didn't work out, you simply didn't follow the instructions, making you a major safety risk for everyone in the area, and the fact that that you started 3 topics in less then an hour, 2 about fuses, and one about flash powder, tells me your not exactly taking the time to read up, and evaluate peoples responses.

Now... A suggestion. I'm not one to turn down people asking for advice. But Dagabu one upped me there, so i'm going to give you some advice you haven't asked for instead. Read. A lot. Try and figure out whats going on, before you try and actually make something happen. You don't have to worry about the chemistry as such, i never did. But you need to get the basic concept of what your doing, and why, and not just go through the motions without clue as to what it's doing, or why. Once you've come that far, you could try making this "fuse" as described above. It's not that good, and as dagabu said, it's really only reliable in low humidity, but if you figure out the how and why's it should show you where you went wrong the last time, and that alone would teach you something important about taking your time, and doing things right the first time.

Given that you make these in small batches, it's relatively safe, and while it might catch fire and burn the house down, it's not that likely to blow you up. It's a lot better then trying to make M-80 salutes as your first "fireworks project". Flash wont burn down the house. But it will tear you apart, fuck you up, and quite possibly, kill you.

We don't want that. We want you to become a member of the community that down the line still is with us. Preferably in good health. Not that being careful, and gaining more experience in this field ever makes you safe... There are threads that should have told you that already: 1/2 (Sorry guys. But this is part of why the threads are here, right? To help new players in the field grasp that this actually isn't safe.)

Above all. Be careful. Stay safe. Don't get killed.

B!

It's a reasonable, easy to make , use it now fuse. But it's not really a good fuse.

Normally i wouldn't say this, but, here goes. Your to sloppy, and don't have enough patience. I'd suggest looking for a different hobby, before you get yourself (preferably) or someone else (god forbid) hurt, or even killed. Now, why do i say this? Basically, i don't see how you could "fail" at making the cotton yarn fuse. Sugar and KNO3 isn't substances your likely to fail getting your hands on, and hence have the wrong stuff, and cotton yarn... Well, it says so on the packaging. Cotton. Can be bought pretty much everywhere. So, if this didn't work out, you simply didn't follow the instructions, making you a major safety risk for everyone in the area, and the fact that that you started 3 topics in less then an hour, 2 about fuses, and one about flash powder, tells me your not exactly taking the time to read up, and evaluate peoples responses.

Now... A suggestion. I'm not one to turn down people asking for advice. But Dagabu one upped me there, so i'm going to give you some advice you haven't asked for instead. Read. A lot. Try and figure out whats going on, before you try and actually make something happen. You don't have to worry about the chemistry as such, i never did. But you need to get the basic concept of what your doing, and why, and not just go through the motions without clue as to what it's doing, or why. Once you've come that far, you could try making this "fuse" as described above. It's not that good, and as dagabu said, it's really only reliable in low humidity, but if you figure out the how and why's it should show you where you went wrong the last time, and that alone would teach you something important about taking your time, and doing things right the first time.

Given that you make these in small batches, it's relatively safe, and while it might catch fire and burn the house down, it's not that likely to blow you up. It's a lot better then trying to make M-80 salutes as your first "fireworks project". Flash wont burn down the house. But it will tear you apart, fuck you up, and quite possibly, kill you.

We don't want that. We want you to become a member of the community that down the line still is with us. Preferably in good health. Not that being careful, and gaining more experience in this field ever makes you safe... There are threads that should have told you that already: 1/2 (Sorry guys. But this is part of why the threads are here, right? To help new players in the field grasp that this actually isn't safe.)

Above all. Be careful. Stay safe. Don't get killed.

B!

Thanks for the advice but my first firework project was making a star mine and that went quite good

Also I didn't want to make a m-80 I thought it would be a cool profile picture but thanks.

Thanks for the advice but my first firework project was making a star mine and that went quite good

This question makes me think it's more along the lines of "you got lucky, and survived"

Then what should I use for breakage powder

I'm sorry, but even if YouTube was your only source of information, you would have a better grasp of the basics. PM dagabu, i have no idea what he's got on his mind, but if you checked the first link i provided you would know he has nothing but good intent left, inside and out.

B!

​Yup, a little reminder of the cost of this hobby and a picture of my left hand after grafting...