APC Forum

Wax Coating Rocket Tubes

hindsight

Well... This is pretty sad when such an important subject looses steam so soon. I have been out of the game for a while and just read my FIRST article about waxing tubes yesterday, I am thrilled with the results and would like to see/read your results on your rockets.

What are your experiences so far?

I have yet to have a situation where unwaxed would Cato, but waxed didn't (although I have a specific situation that does Cato, but haven't used a waxed tube for it yet).

But... the fact that my motors stay the length they started at, with zero wrinkles is reason enough for me to wax almost all my tubes now. I thought it was going to be a pain in the ass, but it's actually a painless task.

It cuts down on dust significantly too when using fuels that contain to oil, wax or Vaseline as well.

Just go thin on the application... more is not better.

Interesting observations DD. I CATO half my rockets, mostly due to riding the red line and absurd pressing pressures, all in the hopes of finding a stable but fast BP rocket. I have yet to press a rocket with waxed tubes but when I do, I plan on trying the three bulk waxes I already have.

130-Paraffin wax

Pure soy wax

120-Paraffin/mineral oil wax (loads of this left over from the wax bath for my hands)

So, with NO proof whatsoever, I theorize that the wax allows for clean pressing (no tube distortion or shrinkage) and grain inhibition. I am looking forward to resurrecting my BP spindle from the spare parts bin and give it another try with the waxed tubes as well as my all whistle end burners.

Like I posted on Fireworking.com, my rockets are not so close to the redline that I feel like waxing the tubes gains any performance. Like DDewees, no wrinkles in the tubes. I hear no creaking as I press, which I first thought was the all-thread frame of my press, but that stopped with waxed tubes. Waxing the tubes has also eliminated the problems I had with the fuel creeping around the outside of the rammer when pressing to higher pressures. I have just been using solid Paraffin wax melted and coated in the tube with a dauber, just like Dave F mentions in his notes.

I tried to post links to my videos on youtube but nothing happened. I was able to run hot sali whistle all the way up on universal tooling, and then BP tooling, in the 1# size. There is also video of a 6" ball shell being lifted by a 1# BP motor made with straight hot BP and a nozzle. I will admit that it was not lofted to proper height- but still, it did not CATO. The whole rocket with shell weighed 1332 grams. I have quite a few videos of different fireworks and rockets on my channel if anyone is interested. The channel name is

'imastrangerhere'.

I tried to post links to my videos on youtube but nothing happened. I was able to run hot sali whistle all the way up on universal tooling, and then BP tooling, in the 1# size. There is also video of a 6" ball shell being lifted by a 1# BP motor made with straight hot BP and a nozzle. I will admit that it was not lofted to proper height- but still, it did not CATO. The whole rocket with shell weighed 1332 grams. I have quite a few videos of different fireworks and rockets on my channel if anyone is interested. The channel name is

'imastrangerhere'.

I can quantify those findings, I too have pressed my hottest bp, with a nozzle, without cato. The video is posted somewhere on youtube.

I also made chlorate/sali whistle, and flew it successfully on a bp spindle..

Dave F, keep the videos comin :D I have shown everyone who will watch you sali whistle / bp spindle video!

DavidF, I'll try that AP rocket tonight on that 8.5" spindle, top fused... I'm putting my money on Cato, but we shall see. Should have a video posted in about 3-4 hours. Edited by ddewees

Well, this isn't definitive... but it does support the theory.

Two identical motors, pressed to the same pressure. Same batch of fuel, both top fused with quick match, only difference is one tube was waxed... the other not....

Two different results.

Unwaxed tube:

[Video]

Waxed tube:

Glad to see people are listening the wax being a lubricant allowing the grain to relax is the only problem ( that i had read Steve la duke asking). But so far stored motors don't move at all even with good verniers and it seems we are slowly on a path to discover waxed tubes have benifets that we haven't even pin pointed yet

Hope to see this go a lot further and hope for more inavations from you in the future dave

Dagabu coming out of retirement!?! Can't say I didn't see that coming... :P

The wife told me, "One step at a time big guy." the other day. I am thinking I will be able to press some come PGI but probably not before.

Ddwees, I told you it wouldn't waste a trip :P

Nice rocket though! I was on the edge of my seat last night!

Waxed tubes for president

So what's next, bare match to the top? :D

Nope, your hot Sali whistle with a..... NOZZLE!!! :o

• 2 weeks later...

This might be helpful:

Besides:

Is there some prefered type of wax the professionals use?

Paraffine, stearine...?

I think most folks here in the U.S. are using parafins...either what one uses for home canning (the Brand name Gulf Wax can be googled), or for candle making have both been mentioned. I believe somebody even used tealight candles melted down and is using "scented" rocket tubes, lol.

Ned uses the pouring method shown. I've never tried it. I use the dauber method. A small shotgun cleaning swab should work nicely for a 15 mm tube. My first one was jute twine wrapped around a threaded rod with washers and nuts. It worked but was ugly. A sliding fit is good if you go the dauber route. Some folks have used a heat gun to smooth out the coating. Too much wax can be a PITA. For me, a regular 1# BP tube gains 0.4-0.7 gram from waxing. Some folks put the wax in the fuel but that weakens it somewhat. I've used the scented wax and called it femfuel :P.

David i didn't understand how your dauber method is performed.

Do you just put the sponge side into melted wax and the pull it trough the tube?

That's exactly what you do.

I use an actual sponge wrapped and tied to the end of a rocket stick. The sponge is slightly larger in diameter, and swabs the inside quickly and easily. Even if the motor is slightly larger (less build up when inserting the sponge), you can easily swab one side then the other in one or two stroking motions.

You just have to do it, you'll figure out what works best for you within a few minutes.

Ok, thank you. Than i know how it works now and my thoughts where right. Will try that method soon

I found some gun cleaning swabs on ebay, what caliber? or gauge?? should i get for a 15mm ID?

Edited by psypuls

I am using a 20 gage shotgun mop or Swab if you will for 3/4" NEPT tubes. I have Gulf Wax in a vegetable can, I set this in a small sauce pan in 1 1/2" of water at a slow simmer. It is a little tight but it gets the job done.

• 1 month later...

http://fireworking.com/sites/default/files/u83/run%2052%2C%20mostly%204%2B4hr%20sumac%20fuel%20super%20duper%20BP%20spindle%2C%201lb%2C%20nozzled.jpg

As far as I know this is the first time over a hundred pounds of peak thrust has ever been achieved with a 1 pound BP rocket with no additives, like whistle. The rocket was pressed with hot BP and a nozzle on tooling custom made for me by Steve LaDuke. The tapered portion of the spindle for this rocket was 6 1/2". The tube was a regular thin NEPT tube.

I could lift a 5" ball shell to a respectable height with a motor like this if I wanted to. But this is just an investigation.

• Like 2

Very Impressive, Dave. Did you have tooling made to take advantage of waxing?...or vice versa?