APC Forum

Chinese shell pasting machine.

CrossOut

This is the 3rd pasting machine i`ve built, i have the big wheel version but its not very compact and it requires the pc to control the motors via usb. I built a version of the 12" lazy susan bearing jobbie. If you check the trunion design pic i posted further up the thread, you can make out the line of ball bearings from the 12" lazy susan right at the top of the pic. This latest machine is designed to be as cheap and simple as possible. Its handcranked and made mostly from baltic birch ply which is easy to find. It can be driven by a standard 12v electric screwdriver to save on cranking, if you have100`s of shells to paste.

Handcranked machine, awesome!!! I would love to see some pictures when you finish it, my machine project is on hold right now as I have been working lots of overtime lately.

Here`s a sneak preview of the glue box / tape roll carrier. The carrier takes a full sized tape roll upto about 9" in diameter, either standard gummed tape or custom slitted plain virgin kraft for extra strength. The glue box can coat the "tape" on both sides with almost any kind of glue, wheat paste, pva or even a heavy silicate based adhesive. I`ve done some strain testing at 120rpm (max speed possible when hand cranked) using a 5kg dumbell weight in place of a tape roll, it runs as smooth as silk and makes almost no sound.

post-10522-0-11369100-1392953491_thumb.jpg

Nice wood working on those gears, Col. Another hobby?

This is a project that would benefit from someone owning a 3D printer... But damn, your quality hand-work isn't something i could attain. Nice.

B!

The birch ply gears average out at 94p each in materials. Looks like it could take1.5kg of ABS filiament just to print out the largest gear. Not cheap at £48 / kg ;)

Edited by Col

A little more progress, the bottom half of the machine is almost completed and the top half is looking ok so far.

I`ve added a spring loaded tensioner for the tape arm so it maintains constant pressure on the shell (2"-6") without any adjustment. The back end of the tape arm pushes on the brass rod which compresses the spring, the brass rod also doubles as a tape guide.

A fixed arm would be an easier option but it can lose contact (or shove the shell over) if the shell is slightly out of round or not perfectly centered

I laminated and jointed some ply offcuts to make a sturdy bottom bracket, the thrust bearing allows the bottom shell support tube to rotate easily when its under pressure. I came across an old mechanical turns counter (resettable) in my bits box so that`ll save me counting the turns ;)

post-10522-0-34420400-1393473101_thumb.jpg

post-10522-0-41286400-1393473119_thumb.jpg

Edited by Col

Neat project. That an old Veederroot counter?

Aye, its a genuine antique but works perfectly. It was built to last, the case is solid brass with a black hammered paint finish and steel end plates.

Just need to finish off the tape arms and put a spindle in to hold the tape roll and its about done. Pic shows the shell support which is spring loaded, telescopic and self adjusting so theres no handwheels etc to mess with. The turns counter works like a champ.

post-10522-0-23506400-1393986202_thumb.jpg

gotta say, it is quite impressive ( your wood working abilities ) You must have really likes taking woodshop in school :)

I took metalwork at school, fire and sparks beats sawdust. I`m still under the £50 budget using offcuts and recycling stuff i had laying around, the odds and sods would prolly equate to another tenner if i had to buy them, still a cheap machine at £60 / $100

• 4 months later...

soon youll be able to buy a pasting machine for 400.00 dollars US like the one in this video.Its in the works.

Edited by pyropro

soon youll be able to buy a pasting machine for 400.00 dollars US like the one in this video.Its in the works.

From earlier images, the tools you got seam pretty solid, and if the price is right, i'm sure were aall going to be all over it. But you really should stick to the right part of the forum for advertising your stuff. As much as i'd love to get my hands on a cheap(ish) pasting machine that could do small, and up to 10" shells, this isn't the place...

B!