APC Forum

Chinese shell pasting machine.

CrossOut

i found the company which makes the industrial shell pasting machines used by chinese manufacturers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UgVHU7_yk4

http://happinessfireworks.en.alibaba.com/product/1243384106-219598712/shells_taping_machine_Pasting_Machine_for_3_to_8_inch_shells_fireworks_machine.html

i contacted the suppliers as well. one machine will cost 7664 USD. not a bad price considering it uses standard gummed tape and will paste a 3" shell in 20 seconds and a 8" shell in about 2 minutes. last time i sat around to watch a wasp turn a shell it took about 10 minutes for a 8" i didnt sit there with a stop watch but we went through quite a few conversations.

if i had the money laying around i wouldn't mind getting one. man imagine having one of these out at Winter Blast or Do-It, the wasps would be left feeling lonely. maybe some day..

i know people have built their own variants but nothing to this quality or speed.

any way just thought i would share the infos.

I think its speed is commendable, but it lacks portability completely compared to the WASP as it is a rather large unit. Not only that, it only pastes up to 8" compared to the... is it 16" max or higher with the modification on the WASP? Besides the point, a standard WASP SS pastes up to a 12" without any mods and that's without paying 4 times + more. I doubt you'd get any product support either.

If it's a factory where speed counts because there are people working on each stage of the shell building process 12 hours a day, then a faster machine over portability, size, versatility and even initial cost in the long run matters. If I was in the commercial side of pyro, I'd buy one tomorrow if my market was 3 - 8" shells. But wasn't the whole point of the WASP was the fact is was amateur affordable, compact in design, user-friendly, and pretty darn versatile?

The users on this forum who with some engineering skills and clever design have built homebrew versions of this machine have done a great job. It becomes an exciting project in itself, costs more time than anything and provides a purely independent product support since they are able to modify and repair their own equipment. I'd go that way after ruling out a WASP. But for me, I generally do something else while it pastes and I don't do huge shells so I don't have the time issue. I

The thing thats missing from both the copies is control, The wheel speed in the 1st vid is too slow and it looks like he`s using masking tape. The 2nd vid has a good wheel rpm and its built like a tank :) but the fixed shell rpm doesnt allow for any angle changes. With fixed speeds you`d just use the final wrap angle.

Edited by Col

First video at least has something in the resevoir because you can see it flung out all over the place.

• Like 1

oh, ok. You meant the first first vid. :P

Aye, i thought you meant the 1st one. You`d get splattered with paste from 2nd machine..no wonder he has the orange cloth up everywhere ;)

I think that these all prove that there are ways other than WASP without infringing their design rights. Which system suits each of our needs will vary according to individual situations.

• 1 month later...

I really like this style of pasting machine. It seems to do a nice job and is very compact, and looks to be truly portable...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The machine qbove my post was made by Kyle Kepley and the design plans are available on passfires website.

Dean

The machine qbove my post was made by Kyle Kepley and the design plans are available on passfires website.

Dean

I can't find the plans on passfire.

There are definitely details in the forum itself. Of course you can't search for anything posted in the last 18 months, so that isn't all that useful. If I run across it, I'll post up a link.

Thanks mumbles, I did read the thread where kyle posted details about his machine,as a matter of fact I'm building a machine based on that info, but it'd be a lot better and easier if there was any plans to build it.

Here`s an idea for a really smooth trunion for the angle change on that design, all you need is half a bike wheel, 4 bolts and 8 bearings. Mount the shell rotation motor on one end and the bottom shell clamp on the other end. It will keep the shell perfectly centered at any angle. Finding a suitable ring gear can be a challenge, it has to be larger than 160mm id but less than 230mm od or it wont fit.

post-10522-0-91448200-1391562847_thumb.jpg

Col' that seems like a really great idea!

the ring gear is from a lawnmower, a friend and I are building a machine based on that design with a few modifications,we still haven't figured the right rpms at which each motor has to be rotating, (the one that rotates the shell and the one that rotates the gear with the tape) but Ithink that can be easily adjusted with a few trial and error runs with the sizes of shells that I'll be using the machine for, altough it'd be much easier if there was plans for the machine with all the details. its taking us a while to finish it though. ( we have a lot of work) :)

Edited by asdercks

My lawnmower is still running so i cant rob parts off it :)

I`m working on an ultra low budget machine that can paste 2" - 6" shells. The 3 main aims were to build a practical machine, use only commonly available materials, no unique or exotic parts (which can be hard to source) and spend no more than £50 ($80) :)

• Like 1

There are definitely details in the forum itself. Of course you can't search for anything posted in the last 18 months, so that isn't all that useful. If I run across it, I'll post up a link.

Thanks mumbles, I did read the thread where kyle posted details about his machine,as a matter of fact I'm building a machine based on that info, but it'd be a lot better and easier if there was any plans to build it.

You can try going on Google and searching for keywords under this website.

In case it wasn't clear, I was talking about the forum on passfire. Since passfire isn't publicly viewable, it's not cached by google and the site: command doesn't do any good.

In case it wasn't clear, I was talking about the forum on passfire. Since passfire isn't publicly viewable, it's not cached by google and the site: command doesn't do any good.

Oh, my apologies, I thought you were talking about this forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Col' that seems like a really great idea!

the ring gear is from a lawnmower, a friend and I are building a machine based on that design with a few modifications,we still haven't figured the right rpms at which each motor has to be rotating, (the one that rotates the shell and the one that rotates the gear with the tape) but Ithink that can be easily adjusted with a few trial and error runs with the sizes of shells that I'll be using the machine for, altough it'd be much easier if there was plans for the machine with all the details. its taking us a while to finish it though. ( we have a lot of work) :)

I have almost all of the components made/bought for the low tech shell pasting machine project. The total spend so far is about £28 which leaves £22 of the budget for odds and ends.

post-10522-0-49322500-1392412131_thumb.jpg

Afer a bit of digging, the briggs and stratton 696537 Ring Gear Kit may fit a 12" lazy susan bearing quite well with the help of some standoffs. The gear od is 210mm and retails at £36 over here.

http://www.briggsbits.co.uk/acatalog/single_cylinder_vertical_crankshaft__over_6_hp_.html

Working on uk prices, the ring gear kit, two capable gearmotors, a speed controller (for the shell rotation motor),12" LS bearing plus the small bits and pieces (thrust bearings, shell clamping system, etc) would be the thick end of £150.

Edited by Col

WOW cool , your still at building this grand machine!! I am thrilled to see your still pursueing it!!! You may be able to harvest gears and components from used equipment , from office equip. to even a transmission for that matter . Just a few ideas . But I am curious to see the complete sys in action. Your work is inspiring !!! KEEP IT UP !!

This is the 3rd pasting machine i`ve built, i have the big wheel version but its not very compact and it requires the pc to control the motors via usb. I built a version of the 12" lazy susan bearing jobbie. If you check the trunion design pic i posted further up the thread, you can make out the line of ball bearings from the 12" lazy susan right at the top of the pic. This latest machine is designed to be as cheap and simple as possible. Its handcranked and made mostly from baltic birch ply which is easy to find. It can be driven by a standard 12v electric screwdriver to save on cranking, if you have100`s of shells to paste.