APC Forum

Lessons learned

Nikko

Hi sorry for my bad english . I'm new here i want to tell you what happend to me. With 14 i had an accident with Acetone Peroxid.

Making it was VERY stupid i know that! I making a Cracker with 2g of it.

I hold it with my left Hand as i think the Fuse is a little short i better get a longer one in. I pull out the Fuse and boom!

The friction was enough to set the Mixture off. This Day i lost two of my Fingertips!

Don't make Peroxid or crap like this!

• Like 1

Here's one, I'm sure is popular among us, remember when you were young and had some cool awsome firecrackers,? You know the one's, black cat, thunderbombs, the regular consumer crackers. Well, you ever break one in half to light the halves so they sparkle like a fountain? yeah, I know of 3 others at that time who did also. Guess what happened to me when I started to do that? :) Yep, one blew up in my fingers when I lit it. Made my finger tips numb for a day and some of it became permanant. Oh boy that was a blast. Oh Oh, and what about those cool bottle rockets we all lit while holding and pointing them, yep, a nice rocket burn on your thumb is'nt fun. And heres another dandy, 4 years ago near where I live a father accidentally killed his son with a festival ball, he was shooting them out of a pvc pipe holding it like a bazooka when his boy ran in front of him at the wrong time and was hit in the temple of his head, ruptering the temporal artery with skull fracture.

• Like 1

A friend and I set up multiple tubes on a large peice of plywood trying to keep from burning the grass. Well after the first shell went off, the concussive force on the plywood knocked over one of the other tubes and sent the next one right for us. I don't think I've ever tucked and rolled so quickly

I wouldn't say that BB.

Call it "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" as in Gilmour's "lucky" 13th Floyd album.

• Like 1

Bobosan, Looked up the lyrics for the song "One Slip" from that LP:

One slip and down the hole we fall
It seems to take no time at all
A momentary lapse of reason

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

About a year ago, I was making KNO3/sugar compositions, and "playing" with rocketry. I tested out a nozzle, by making the full rocket-motor, and putting it firmly stuck between 2 big rocks.

All went well for about 4 seconds. Then, suddenly, the rocket managed to break free, and immediately came flying my way. Let me just say, that the nozzle worked perfectly! It hit me, before I even acknowledged the fact that it didn't go according to plan.

The rocket hit my right hand, very hard! I broke the middle finger by that rocket. My first thought was, "Oh well, that could have been much worse!", and then I looked at my other arm.. It was completely black, and my shirt was in half; the rest was burned.

My arm was burned so badly, I couldn't even feel it. I never felt any pain from it; but the process of healing was a clear proof that I was badly burned.

That taught me one very valuable lesson: Unless you WANT your stuff to move, you have to make sure that it can't happen. Simply relying on basic physics, thinking "It will hold itself here", is not enough.

• Like 1