APC Forum

Lessons learned

Nikko

I'm not going to be the newbie who says 'I know all about safety so lets skip that topic'. The safer I can be while starting this hobby, the less likely I will have to learn a hard lesson.

The smart man learns from his mistakes, the wise man learns from others'.

So, this thread is for posting any accidents that have happened either to you or in front of you and how you have changed your procedure to try to prevent it happening again. For example, the guy who lost chunks of hand while ramming the rocket probably labeled hs different tooling sets and when he gets back to the hobby will check them before using them. He may also wear some Kevlar welding gloves.

Also, things that nearly happened will be fine. That moment when you realise how badly something could have gone wrong...

I also like to start threads with an anecdote. This is from college, we had been instructed to pick a chemical and learn as much as we could about it, then present the most interesting tidbits to the class. One guy picked a primary explosive. From memory, an iodine or potassium permanganate based touch-powder. Se set it off in front of everyone, and I get shivers now when I think about how much he had, how close we were, no eye protection or hearing protection. Luckily for us he hadn't dried it properly, so when it did go off it was an anticlimax. The tool of choice was a length of copper pipe, so the only injury was a fantastic burn on his hand from all the gases escaping up the pipe. If I were to do that now?

I'd only set off a tiny amount, not the 50 or so grams he had. I'd wear gloves, hearing protection and a face shield, and use a wooden pole to poke it. None of that would reduce the excitement of setting it off and would prevent any mishaps.

Nikko

had a pound (450g's) of the fastest black powder go up on me while granulating, just after the water hit the powder she went. 2nd degree burns, lost all the skin off my arm , half way from my forearm through past my shoulder. I had a line across my face from where the safety glasses deflected the hot gas from my eyes.

cause was most likely the SS bowl that reflected sunlight and focused enough to ignite WET BP. the bowl was kept in the shade, right up until mixing, it couldn't have had sunlight on it for more then 20 seconds. secondary cause could have been Mg/Al cross contamination

anyone that had something truly terrible happen to them would know the chill they get when faced with the cause.

I get that chill every time I work with the powder , but if that chill keeps me alive so be it.

Same rule applies to pyro as with motorcycles; IF its too hot to gear up its to hot to ride

Edited by Anarchy08

Back when I first started/attempted pyro, years ago, I was making smoke mix. Just basic KNO3 and sugar. I had made it plenty of times before that without problems and I got cocky. I was making it in my room (first no-no) over an open flame from an alcohol burner (#2). I was only making a small amount, probably around 50g. Everything was going fine until it got to hot and ignited. The whole reaction lasted around 15 seconds, probably the worst 15 seconds of my life. Fortunately I was able to get back quick enough that I didn't suffer from any burns but for those 15 seconds all I could do was just stand there and watch molten KNO3 and sugar come flying out the of container, lighting a small portion of my desk on fire as well as the carpet. I was able to put out the two fires and then had to deal with a room full of smoke so thick I could barely see through it...Needless to say after that happened I took a break from pyro for many years up until recently when I started again.

Aside from the two obvious things that I did wrong, that day taught me to respect fire and the energetic nature of the compositions made in this hobby. Many people who partake in pyro who haven't had an accident find it easy to think "this kind of stuff won't happen to me". But let me tell you, NEVER have that attitude about it because it can. You can take all of the safety precautions in the world, and it can still happen to you. I'm not trying to scare anyone or sound wiser, but I think it's a good rule of thumb to always be aware that it can happen and be ready for it if it does. Again, it only took that one time to scare me straight for 3 years, but now that I'm back into it I have a new respect for it and I am always ready.

• Like 2

had a pound of the fastest black powder go up on me while granulating, just after the water hit the powder she went. 2nd degree burns, lost all the skin off my arm , half way from my forearm through past my shoulder. I had a line across my face from where the safety glasses deflected the hot gas from my eyes.

cause was most likely the SS bowl that reflected sunlight and focused enough to ignite WET BP. the bowl was kept in the shade, right up until mixing, it couldn't have had sunlight on it for more then 20 seconds. secondary cause could have been Mg/Al cross contamination

anyone that had something truly terrible happen to them would know the chill they get when faced with the cause.

I get that chill every time I work with the powder , but if that chill keeps me alive so be it.

Same rule applies to pyro as with motorcycles; IF its too hot to gear up its to hot to ride

Sorry to hear that. How much BP was involved.

AirCowPeacock, just read the fist 3 words from the quote.

Having the BP ignite on me is about the worst thing that I perceive as being possible to happen. While it's unlikely, you just never know. I use glass marbles as media: they can chip and such a shard can act as a magnifying glass in the sun, igniting the whole batch. I also fear static, even if I know it's absurd in the case of BP. I see danger anywhere: that lightbulb can break and send sparks into the batch, so I can visualize it igniting and turning me to a crisp.

All that since I ignited for testing purposes a small amount (1 gram?) from too close, with a lighter. Those sore fingers are a good reminder when working with BP.

Oh wow, I reread that twice before I asked looking for the information. I don't know how I missed that.

There is now 1 years ago,

I was with friend and decided to show them up a burn test of all sort of powder that i had,I tested just one,a slow flash that i use for boosting my shell,I decided to light 2Gr,with a fire brand igntion,but a live coal fall of my fire brand,and light up the slow flash,my other hand was 10-15 cm above....

I had all the top of my hand seriously burned,predominately my knuckles,my skin was at the limit of the 3rd degree burn,after few days,my skin left my hand,by big and painfull bleb,after that my finger looked like some BBQ sausages xD ,i fully recovered 2 monts next.

My behavior was immature and irresponsible and it took me that to make me aware that the pyro is a very dangerous hobby,and learned that can have real consequences..

It was 1 years ago,and i can tell you I am now extremely meticulous about everything related to the pyro !

A few years ago when I was 12 years old, I got about 500g of match head powder and put it in a motar and pestle to grind up. ( it took me months to get this amount). So in my massive motar and pestle I was grinding away quite happily outside and wearing cotton clothes. Then all of a sudden the whole thing exploded and sent fire and shards of ceramic and burnt skin everywhere. After a skin graft and an good battering from my parents I was fine.

I was inexperienced and naive to what I was dealing with. Looking back at it now I was mental. I've learnt lots of things from this event.

1) prepare for the unexpected

2) know what your doing

3) learn from others and read around pyro

I lost all of the skin on my right hand for 6-7months. I lost my feelings and burnt the nerve endings.

Say safe all.

In over 10 years I've never had any accidents resulting in physical injury.

I've tried melting sugar/nitrate mix a few times over the stove resulting in burning the worktop and scorching the ceiling. Everyone seems to have attempted this and failed miserably at some point.

The Explosionist,

The best appliance to use for cooking R-Candy is an electric oil fryer that has an adjustable temp controller.

You can set the temp controller at the correct setting and stir the sugar/nitrate until it starts to liquify.

A stove top is too hard to control the temperature.

• Like 1

story old as world, testing granulated BP with lighter...
  • Like 1

story old as world, testing granulated BP with lighter...

Only once, the blister lasted a whole month.

well, i was bit more lucky, only thumb got covered in solid residue, cold water fixed it all.

Edited by Oinikis

• 4 months later...
Half a century ago, a foolish and unsupervised 13-year-old intentionally concocted an explosive mixture with items collected from his chemistry set. With minimal provocation, the mixture exploded in his face, blinding the boy. Instinctively, the frightened lad ran upstairs to the kitchen sink, where he allowed cool water to run across his painful eyes. By an act of remarkable grace, he was swiftly transported to a caring physician, who in turn transferred the boy to an ophthalmologist who performed immediate irrigation and debridement without benefit of anesthesia. With multiple dressing changes, the passage of time, and a hefty dose of grace, the youngster's eyesight returned to him. This same fool is now able to see to write this post. It has taken decades to regain the courage to return to pyrotechnics. The reborn interest has led me to this forum... where stories of horrendous injuries to the most respected members have had an overwhelming, sobering effect.
  • Like 2

That post was a harbinger of things yet to come, 7 days later I was engulfed in flame and nearly lost life and limb. Good news is that I have about 25% use of my hands after a little over 3 months of therapy.

• Like 1

Dagabu,

Your progress seems to be good considering what happened.

Keep up the hard work and you will most likely regain most of the use of your hands.

Being outside exposed to sunlight will be an issue for a long time. (that will suck)

Good to see you back on APC posting.

Hang in there!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where do I begin?

When I was a high school student, when given an unknown compound to identify using various means available, I licked my finger and put my finger directly in it, noting that it felt "soapy" and that it was exothermic, washed my hand straight away, but it really stupid thing to do...

When I first got into magic as a hobby, I tested the flammability of lycopodium powder as a flame-effect with an open 2.5L tin of acetone in the general direction. Were it not for some very quick thinking, and a fire blanket in my shed, I am sure that I would have had to build a new shed.

I have made the mistake of making chlorate flash by mashing it with a teaspoon. Two and a half grams of it, enough for a loud bang, but fuck that hurt my fingers.

I once tried to make Acetone-Peroxide... Um the short answer is dont, even if I didn't get hurt.

The only time which I've taken a direct hit, was when failing to notice that the sleeves jacket that i was wearing had gotten potassium chlorate on them and been allowed to dry overnight. When I was going into work, it ignited rather vigorously, I dont know whether it was spontaneous, or whether it was stray ash-beat from one of the many smokers at work, but I ended up with an approximately 12 square cm of superficial and partial-thickness burns on my left forearm and elbow. Small? Yes, but painful as anything.

So I'm a little bit lucky. Any of the above would probably not have killed me, but would have seriously injured me if I had been a little more unlucky. But I think when you stop fearing pyrotechnics, and stop being scared of what could happen, is when they become truly dangerous.

Other stupid things I have done, are

put deep-heat on my toothbrush because i left it right next to the toothpaste squeeze tube,

picked my nose after handling habanero paste

went to archery park with some mates and completed two field courses without wearing a forearm-bracer

stood immediately behind a 28 year old abscess the size of a coconutl as it was being lanced.

not related to pyrotechnics admittedly, but nonetheless, cautionary tales nonetheless.

• Like 1

The only time which I've taken a direct hit, was when failing to notice that the sleeves jacket that i was wearing had gotten potassium chlorate on them and been allowed to dry overnight.

And we thought magicians weren't supposed to have anything up their sleeves. Hope you're giving your guardian angel a break these days.

Edited by hindsight
  • Like 2

I've mentioned it before, I've had 2 "close calls" with pyro.

The first was several years ago, at a club event. I was walking to a safety meeting concerning the display we were setting up and I was walking past an open C line. Someone failed to brace a cake, which tipped over in my direction. I turned away and a TK type salute insert broke right next to me. The problem, I had no safety gear on. Just shorts and a T-Shirt. The pain in my ear nearest the salute was intense, to the point of causing nausea. I also spent a couple of days picking small bits of gravel out of the exposed skin on my leg. I've had some hearing loss since then, but I can't attribute it solely on that event. Loud concerts, roller coaster trains, power equipment, sirens and fireworks have all helped that.

The second was while handlighting a professional display. I had a muzzle-break on a 3" shell. I was crouched low with my back to the mortar, my back got plastered with stars, but some of them flew in between my cheek and a face shield on my hard hat. I was wearing a nomex hood and still had 2nd degree burns on my cheek. There were many more burn marks on the back of the hood and the back of my shooting jacket. The hardhat I was wearing has dents from the impact of some of the stars. No lasting scars from this incident, but it was several months before I handlit a show again.

Lesson to be learned here? Proper PPE saves you. Had I been wearing long pants and ear protection during the 1st incident, nothing would have happened to me. On the 2nd incident, the PPE did its job and saved me from serious injury.

dagabu,

I believe in privacy and in learning from mistakes, one's own and others'. If privacy isn't an issue for you, I wish you would share the cause of your injuries with those here. I seek to learn from others here. I suspect you have a valuable lesson to offer.

Edited by Jonathan

Lesson learned?

I've learned a whole lot the last few months from the internet about chemical mixtures that's at variance with my experience. Which should I believe: my experience or what I read on the internet?

My experience began at age 15 in 1960. Knowing little, I tried many mixtures with many oxidants and fuels. My goal was to launch an aluminum tube rocket. I had no clue what I was doing except for some basic chemistry. I mixed KClO3 + S + C + Mg in some long lost proportions and sent my aluminum rocket skyward. Today I'd be warned about chlorates and sulfur. I also mixed KClO3 and red phosphorous. Won't go into details how I confined it. Suffice it to say I, a woman, and her two young sons are lucky to be alive today.

Point is, carefully considered and prepared experiment (where you know what to expect) is the very best. I learned that in the 1960s as an engineering student.

One night, I decided to test some stars. I remember they where nicely cut stars, a bit rolled to smooth the edges, organic fueled chlorate blues and reds, primed with black powder. As I always did, I wanted to testthem on the ground first...

I positioned the red star on the ground and I held two blues in my fist. I thought that they would be safe in my fist real tight. So I took a glowing stick to light up the star - then poof. I remember very good. The black powder star prime went off and as I watched the red color to appear on the ground, suddenly my fist glowed in BLUE. With a lighting reaction I released my fist. I ran to the sink to wash it with cold water, and first it looked not so bad, but after an hour or two, the horrible pain and the blisters of the 2nd degree burns where there.

Luckily I have a natural thick skin, so it didn't get to 3rd degree.

This was my only injury and accident during my pyro hobby. :)

Edited by 50AE
  • Like 1

Hello Jonathan. In my occupation, there are reams of research, which give results that are in direct contradiction to what decades of experience tell me and my practicing colleagues. The prevailing view amongst my peers is that many publishers are not practitioners. There are, of course, stories about academicians who, out of vanity or from the pressures to publish or perish, have falsified results. Don't mean to sound anti-scientific, and have spent way too much time in a research lab to condemn research in general. But, knowing what I know about you, I would go with your experience. And, once again, your tales of youthful, semi-educated experimentation and vaguely recalled formulas is eerily familiar. Be well. Edited by hindsight
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

It was probably 5 or 6 years ago. I was having a big cake of 3 inch shells, 25 in number

http://srisairamagency.com/product/21st-century-sony/

(We dont get empty mortars here, spherical shells are always pre-loaded).

Ohh God , i dissembled the whole thing and since i had just acquired quick match i did my own fusing. Moreover, the visco in some preloaded mortars was coming out. I remember i had pushed it inside using a small steel wire.

Now, when i think about it. i get goose bumps..Glad nothing wrong happened. A 3 inch shell exploding in my face could have killed me straight away. glad to be a part of this forum where each day i learn a new thing.

• 3 months later...

Great quote from Nikko:

The smart man learns from his mistakes, the wise man learns from others'.

I think I found my sig.

-- Paravani

Edited by Paravani
  • Like 1