APC Forum

built myself a ball mill

saluterocket

You'll get a lot of opinions on that question.

Personally, I use 3/4" Brass rod stock, cut to 3/4" length with the ends sanded smooth.

Most folks use lead, usually round. A few use Ceramic.

There are already a couple threads on this, though. I'd suggest using the search and hopping on to one of them for more info.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mormanman

• FrankRizzo

• jacob

• marks265

You'll get a lot of opinions on that question.

Personally, I use 3/4" Brass rod stock, cut to 3/4" length with the ends sanded smooth.

Most folks use lead, usually round. A few use Ceramic.

There are already a couple threads on this, though. I'd suggest using the search and hopping on to one of them for more info.

Maybe we should set up a poll on it. It gets asked again and again and again.

(I also use brass for milling BP, 3/4" hex bar stock, cut to 3/4" just like TSW. I also have ceramic, for other chems, and used to use lead)

Stainless here for BP mixes, and I have a big box of chrome steel ball bearings for milling metals. I should come up with another set for things like whistle fuels and other organic fuels/salts that will destroy chrome steel.

I am slowly moving to all-stainless media, but will still use what brass and ceramic I have on hand. I scored 250 stainless balls (1/2") off eBay, and am going to combine those with cut rods for a mixed media load.

For just chems I like SS best but Ceramic is good too.

For mixtures Brass is probably best, Lead works aswell.

If you're just asking what shape is best as far as I know it doesn't really matter, usually cylinders are most widely used I assume because they're easy to make, just cut up a metal rod.

For BP comps and the like I use a mess of brass pcs (flat bar,rod,balls,chunks cut on an ironworker, melted blobs, brass nuts with centres brazed full). For individual chems,if they are for use in BP type comps I use the same brass, but for other chems I will be using SS balls.

For MgAl I use chrome ball bearings.

• 1 year later...

There must be something like a Tungsten-core, ceramic coated cylinders or spherical media. You'd have the mass of the W, with the surface hardness of the ceramic (I'm thinking maybe Gamma alumina). I've still got some connections at an aerospace materials company where I used to work. And my former boss is now CEO of a powder metals processing company. I could have him make me up some Tungsten cylinders or spheres, and then send 'em to our former employer for coating with, say, Silicon Nitride.

Or, for that matter, just make the whole mess out of WC. It's almost as dense as straight Tungsten, and harder than Chinese arithmetic. The ultimate milling media. It wouldn't be cheap, but it would last forever and work like lightning. Anybody interested in persuing this? I'll make some arrangements if there is enough interest.

It could even come to pass that I could get some DU coated in WC. THAT would definitely be the ultimate!

There must be something like a Tungsten-core, ceramic coated cylinders or spherical media. You'd have the mass of the W, with the surface hardness of the ceramic (I'm thinking maybe Gamma alumina). I've still got some connections at an aerospace materials company where I used to work. And my former boss is now CEO of a powder metals processing company. I could have him make me up some Tungsten cylinders or spheres, and then send 'em to our former employer for coating with, say, Silicon Nitride.

Or, for that matter, just make the whole mess out of WC. It's almost as dense as straight Tungsten, and harder than Chinese arithmetic. The ultimate milling media. It wouldn't be cheap, but it would last forever and work like lightning. Anybody interested in persuing this? I'll make some arrangements if there is enough interest.

It could even come to pass that I could get some DU coated in WC. THAT would definitely be the ultimate!

That was a pretty old thread you dragged up...

Anyway I'm sure the media you propose could be great, but at what cost? Keep in mind a lot of members here are doing this as a hobby, and chems alone can "break the bank", without pouring unnecessary amounts of cash out for something that can be done with lead/brass or SS. SS media will last a lifetime at likely a fraction of the cost of tungsten and/or DU (which I wouldn't want around anyway). Even my brass, although far from optimal shows virtually no wear after several years of (hobby) use.