APC Forum

The young Captain Hook

Peret

Just to point out, if what I can make out of the PDF vs the video is correct then these two medias are completely different accidents. Visually you can tell the jackets are different colors. Video is of a kid wearing a black jacket, pdf shows a bright red and white jacket.

More notes. In the video the kid is lighting a fuse.

In the PDF you can plainly see electronic style match/detonators.

Also, in the PDF that damge is shown to be within a dwelling the big tip is the evidence tags on the table with the hole blown thru it.

I can't read the language so I really can't fill you in on the details but the pictures and video show two different stories.

In closing:

PDF Story appears to be an accident durring the creation of a HE device, evidenced from the table damage, blood spatter on the table, and fragments. Whoever this was created quite a bit of the HE, but only a small fraction was being used at the time of the accident. This accident seems to have been from the detonator/ematch igniting from friction durring installation evidenced on page 5/17 close up picture of the burnt igniter.

Video shows a kid having a mishap with either a quarter stick of dynamite, or salute style device.

I would have to agree that the underlying cause of the accident was the fuse, with an emphasis on the improper lighting of the device in ones hand.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the safety aspect of the conversation, but I wanted to point out that these were two different accidents with similar injuries.

Edited by pyroviper

Just to point out, if what I can make out of the PDF vs the video is correct then these two medias are completely different accidents. Visually you can tell the jackets are different colors. Video is of a kid wearing a black jacket, pdf shows a bright red and white jacket.

More notes. In the video the kid is lighting a fuse.

In the PDF you can plainly see electronic style match/detonators.

Also, in the PDF that damge is shown to be within a dwelling the big tip is the evidence tags on the table with the hole blown thru it.

I can't read the language so I really can't fill you in on the details but the pictures and video show two different stories.

In closing:

PDF Story appears to be an accident durring the creation of a HE device, evidenced from the table damage, blood spatter on the table, and fragments. Whoever this was created quite a bit of the HE, but only a small fraction was being used at the time of the accident. This accident seems to have been from the detonator/ematch igniting from friction durring installation evidenced on page 5/17 close up picture of the burnt igniter.

Video shows a kid having a mishap with either a quarter stick of dynamite, or salute style device.

I would have to agree that the underlying cause of the accident was the fuse, with an emphasis on the improper lighting of the device in ones hand.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the safety aspect of the conversation, but I wanted to point out that these were two different accidents with similar injuries.

The PDF covers several incidents, only slide 7 relates to the video(Google Translation):

Explosive blast on the river Vah in the district of Žilina

On 10.12.2006 in a time of 14:45. The railway bridge between Zilina and Budatín an explosion. Explosion caused by home-made explosives. The explosion occurred from improper initiation. The explosion caused Adamovi K. serious injury (severing the right hand).

Unless a similar incident happened on exactly that same stretch of river, I think it's safe to assume this information is accurate. Maybe you can find a better source?

Edited by Pyrophury

Not sure if I could do any better. I have a delivery driver who may be able to read the pdf and translate it for me. Honestly I would think a HE would have done more damage to the kid/guy then what it did. Ammonium nitra

te is pretty powerfull stuff.

The size of the device in the video is hard to distinguish, and I don't see any extif data for verifying the location. I will however say that coincidences are rare, so I would have to with your findings as being true at this point.

Honestly with language barrier I didn't realize the article was about multiple instances. Looking back at the PDF I can see the multiple dates though.

Not sure if I could do any better. I have a delivery driver who may be able to read the pdf and translate it for me. Honestly I would think a HE would have done more damage to the kid/guy then what it did. Ammonium nitra

te is pretty powerfull stuff.

The size of the device in the video is hard to distinguish, and I don't see any extif data for verifying the location. I will however say that coincidences are rare, so I would have to with your findings as being true at this point.

Honestly with language barrier I didn't realize the article was about multiple instances. Looking back at the PDF I can see the multiple dates though.

The location ties in exactly with the video, there's a huge landmark in the background: Budatin Castle, which can only be viewed from that angle from across the river next to the railway bridge that crosses the river Vah in Zilina. The rest is guess work, but the pictures show a plastic container filled with a purple/blue slurry with the top of a glass vile sticking out of it, and something labelled 'ANNM'. Judging by the colour what he may have actually made is a mix of ammonium nitrate and nitro fuel, which is usually dyed red, green, blue, purple etc.. but is actually a mix of oil, methanol and only a small percentage of nitromethane. The test tube sticking out of the slurry I'm guessing was a homemade blasting cap containing an unknown quantity of primary explosive. The power of the blast could be affected by several factors such as the ratio and quality of the components and the power of the blasting cap used to detonate it, if indeed it actually did...

Using RC nitro fuel instead of pure nitromethane likely saved his life. Looking at the video of the explosion, there's no way he got a complete detonation of the base charge.

I agree. If I had to guess, only the primary went off. If the Ammonium Nitrate detonated, I really don't think we'd be seeing him run away.

• 6 months later...
I have always trusted 3mm Visco as the result of 2mm being sometimes not hot enough. I have seen though a crimp in the fuse that caused it to flash and appear to go out...........then smoulder and restart. This is the scenario for someone to approach to ' see ' what the problem is. Anyway, it is a good video to scare someone from being stupid, with lifetime injuries.

It's disturbing to find HE being matched to fireworks, which is what we build and enjoy. This is stupidity in its purest form and I am sure that neither he or his friends will forget that day. It is sad for him to learn his mistake with such permanent and disfiguring injuries.

http://i.imgur.com/qEKDq.jpg

Hey guys...

I found an x-ray image of his hand. I found it on another forum together with the same video clip, shown here.

Regarding the article; 3 different accidents are mentioned and as Pyrophury writes only page 7 is related to this explosion.

Sooo looks like two fingers were almost untouched, half on one gone, and 1/3 of two others. Looking at video I thought his whole hand was blown away. Also looks like his legs especially lefto one was hurt badly.

That image has been floating around the internet for decades.. doubt it has anything to do with this particular incident, or if it even shows the type of injury inflicted by an explosion IMO.

You should be able to now. The forum software does weird things with accounts which have not made a post yet.

Just for quick reference for people who have never used HEs:

10mg of good primary like lead azide easily tears a good amount of flesh

100mg is enough to cut a finger or two, depending on the hand and where it's placed

1g can easily blow all fingers if held in hand and make the hand look horrible.

10g and you become captain hook without any doubt

I guess an amount of 50g and more of hot secondary initiated is easily lethal if held close to the body/head.

10mg of good primary like lead azide easily tears a good amount of flesh

and will shoot a nitrogen filled pillow at you face, sorry.

I dont think the secondary detonated either.

Dan.

What on earth are you talking about Dan?

Airbags I believe...But I was under the impression that they used more or less just a modification of smokeless?

I got that much, but had no idea at all why he was talking about it. It has next to nothing to do with the current conversation.

There are a number of compositions. Some of which rely partly or entirely on sodium azide, not lead azide. There are others that are based on AN or guanidine derivatives, and probably some others that I'm not aware of.

The first time i watched this video i was really scared of usung flash firecrackers anymore but now that i know it was an HE it's not so bad.

btw i just noticed this board because i watched this video on facebook.

Its really sad that HE and flashcrackers are mixed and the video is not labelled correctly :(.

Does anyone know about his leg and how his hand looks right now ?

The first time i watched this video i was really scared of usung flash firecrackers anymore but now that i know it was an HE it's not so bad.

A large flash cracker will still turn you into cap'n hook no problem.

A large flash cracker will still turn you into cap'n hook no problem.

Yup an m-80 maybe not, but a 1/4 stick no problem. even what they call "torpedoes" i think will do the job.

Yes, only the X-ray.

The image was combined with the same video of the boy blowing off his hand.

I guess this is what it looked like when he came to the hospital. If not, crap work by the surgeons.