APC Forum

The young Captain Hook

Peret

Oh my god, this is a perfect example of why people SHOULD NOT make salutes, especially when your new to the hobby. I feel bad for the kid, but it was incredibly stupid of him to hold it in his hand and try to light it.

• Like 1

Oh my god, this is a perfect example of why people SHOULD NOT make salutes, especially when your new to the hobby. I feel bad for the kid, but it was incredibly stupid of him to hold it in his hand and try to light it.

I second that, that is the single most scary thing I think I have seen to this day. Let's just pray that he didn't suffer!

I second that, that is the single most scary thing I think I have seen to this day.

I agree. Very scary sight to see.

We warn people about flash and salutes, and we often see pictures of what it looks like afterward, but nothing has an impact like seeing it happen. I thought everyone should see this.

I have always the question if a 3" shell can cause the same result.?

Depends what's in it. If it's spiked with flash or very well pasted, yeah I'm sure it could. Fortunately most people starting out making BP based shells aren't going to be able to get them to break quite as well as they should right off the bat, so if they did try something stupid like this they might just end up with burns rather than missing pieces. Really though, just don't light in hand.

if you think thats awful try war and what it does to a young man who wants to defend his country.People say soldiers get use to it,no fucking way!!GOD help all of our service men and woman and dogs who serve!

Depends what's in it. If it's spiked with flash or very well pasted, yeah I'm sure it could. Fortunately most people starting out making BP based shells aren't going to be able to get them to break quite as well as they should right off the bat, so if they did try something stupid like this they might just end up with burns rather than missing pieces. Really though, just don't light in hand.

I mean in construction,not to light in hand.That's for idiots the idea :)

But i think is impossible to light without flame.Is it?

There is always some possibility of an accident... If you treat every compound we use like it could do what you saw in the vid you should be safe.....get careless for one second and I mean one second and you may end up worse off than the kid. Im gonna go make some whistle rockets now and make sure my hands are behind the shield when I press them.

Steve

if you think thats awful try war and what it does to a young man who wants to defend his country.People say soldiers get use to it,no fucking way!!GOD help all of our service men and woman and dogs who serve!

Totally agree.

Edited by Potassiumchlorate

We must use protection and i think that few take care of this.

For example i never use gloves,glasses or face protection and this is my fault.

I believe many other here don't use protection.

Edited by pyrogeorge

We don't know what it is he was lighting, whether it was a commercial salute or something he mixed up himself. My guess is it was something in a metal pipe intended to be thrown in the pond to sink and explode under water. When I was at school one of my friends put a few grams of flash in a Sparklets CO2 bulb. Nobody got hurt but the bulb was turned into a flat throwing star, so it's a good thing he wasn't holding it. One lesson to take away from this, for all of us, is never trust the fuse. The kid probably expected it to burn for five or six seconds.

This is also, in my opinion, an unintended consequence of excessive firework regulation. The kids of today have no idea how powerful a flash salute can be, because they've never seen one. Fifty years ago, M80s and Cherry Bombs were treated with the respect they deserved because everyone had seen them set off.

Can't see a thing. Can also be fake, the crappy resolution kills all the details.

Who would upload this?

To be honest, I did hundreds of ground salutes during the last years for new years eve, or bought them from east europe. Many people do it here, it doesn't even attract attention (on new years eve!).

Imho it makes a big difference to put theese things on the ground with sufficient fuse to WALK away, and not light them in your hand and throw em.

My neighbors right hand consists of a palm, minus fingers & only a partial thumb.

I asked him “combat injury”?

Reply: drunken party & throwing M-80's.

He lit & threw several, he was distracted somehow & the last one he lit went off in his hand.:unsure:

Can't see a thing. Can also be fake, the crappy resolution kills all the details.

Who would upload this?

To be honest, I did hundreds of ground salutes during the last years for new years eve, or bought them from east europe. Many people do it here, it doesn't even attract attention (on new years eve!).

Imho it makes a big difference to put theese things on the ground with sufficient fuse to WALK away, and not light them in your hand and throw em.

The screams sound legit but I was thinking fake as well. Or at least partially. If you notice that the people he was talking to at the beginning (I'm assuming friends) didn't make a sound after it exploded and he started screaming. If that would have happened to me or any of my friends (god forbid none of my friends are that stupid) there would have been alot more screaming, alot more cussing, and alot more running to help and for help.

The screams sound legit but I was thinking fake as well. Or at least partially. If you notice that the people he was talking to at the beginning (I'm assuming friends) didn't make a sound after it exploded and he started screaming. If that would have happened to me or any of my friends (god forbid none of my friends are that stupid) there would have been alot more screaming, alot more cussing, and alot more running to help and for help.

I'm afraid this was quite real, according to the attached article it happened on the 10th December 2006 in Žilina, Slovakia on the river Vah near Budatín Castle (which can clearly be seen in the background). It was not a firework it was a small plastic container filled with about 200g of homemade ANNM (Ammonium Nitrate and Nitromethane), the explosion caused the 16 year old victim "Adam K" serious injury (tearing his right hand) and it took him 7 weeks to recover.

KEU_BA_01_10_2008.pdf

Edited by Pyrophury
  • Like 1

Those who don't deal well with blood and gore might want to skip page 9 of that PDF, otherwise it's a sobering reminder of what can happen when things go wrong. While I have sympathy for him, anyone who can make such a device should really know better than to light it like that. Looks like he had a firing unit too.

Could anybody translate that article to English? If so would you please?

doesn't matter fake or not, the message is: the fuse equals your life. Or at least your quality of life.. I ended up lucky once, with a 6'' shell going sky high in my face because the sparks of the delay fuse burned through the paper of the quick match. That event reminded me of this ''fuse rule of thumb'' The shell performed perfect btw, after missing my head by almost a foot. Edited by spitfire