APC Forum

Copper oxide

THEONE

Ok i was trying to find some copper oxide without buying it from net, i found that sometimes it used as a pigment in ceramics... so i bought black pigment for ceramics but it was black iron oxide

Also in wikipedia i found this

"Cupric oxide is used as a pigment in ceramics to produce blue, red, and green (and sometimes gray, pink, or black) glazes"

And now i am thinking to try some blue or green pigment, but i am asking, blue-green copper oxide ? how ? copper oxide (CuO) is black

Edited by THEONE

Ok i was trying to find some copper oxide without buying it from net, i found that sometimes it used as a pigment in ceramics... so i bought black pigment for ceramics but it was black iron oxide

Also in wikipedia i found this

"Cupric oxide is used as a pigment in ceramics to produce blue, red, and green (and sometimes gray, pink, or black) glazes"

And now i am thinking to try some blue or green pigment, but i am asking, blue-green copper oxide ? how ? copper oxide (CuO) is black

cupric oxide and copper oxide are same I believe,at least when I order it it is.

Cupric oxide or Copper (II) Oxide is used for making blue flames in campfires and ghost mines. It is also used in a few star formulae. (brownish or black in color)

Cuprous Oxide or Copper (I) Oxide seems to be more useful for star formulations but unfortunately, it is a lot more expensive. (reddish-brown in color)

I wonder though is there isn't a way to make some Copper (I) Oxide at home? Anyone have a method for producing such??

Edited by warthog

CuO is black and cupric oxide is the synonyme. This is the variety used in fireworks stars. Cuprous oxide is used e.g. to color methanol flames.

CuO is black and cupric oxide is the synonyme. This is the variety used in fireworks stars. Cuprous oxide is used e.g. to color methanol flames.

ok so I dont have a clue what the hell Im doing,lol!

I think you have some information confused there Warthog, Copper (I) and Copper (II) Oxide are nearly the same price, if not identical based on supplier. Copper (I) is rarely if ever used in making stars or other formulae. There has been a bit of experimentation with it, but nothing really came of it. At least there has been nothing superior over Copper (II) oxide. Copper (II) Oxide is used in nearly every formula calling for copper oxide. Neither are too hard to make at home, though you'll probably not end up saving much money. Being that copper oxide is insoluble in alcohol, it'd also not be useful for ghost flames. It looks like you took a description for copper (II) Chloride and confused it with Copper (II) Oxide actually.

Don't bother looking for blue, red or green pigments. None of them will be cupric oxide. What that passage means is that when mixed into glazes and fired, it will produce those hues. On it's own it is going to be black to dark brown. You can always make it if you can get your hands on a soluble copper salt like the chloride or sulfate and sodium or potassium hydroxide. Carbonates would also work.

Well, I usually am confused, I admit this pretty readily. I thought this time I had it though or I would have refrained from posting. Sorry, Ignore my post folks and listen to those more learned among us. blush.gifblush.gif

I believe you are right Mumbles, I have ben looking for some Copper (I) CHLORIDE for a while now to use in a couple of formulae I have but so far haven't found it except at places that want $20/ounce which is a bit out of my price range.

Edited by warthog

My cousin makes all of her own glazes for her pottery. I could ask her how the blackish powder turns into a nice blue glaze, but there is more to it than just sticking CuO on pottery and firing it. Like pyro comps, she keeps notebooks of experiments to get the colors she wants. Different chems, quality of chems, and prep methods all make a difference in how the color turns out in the kiln. Sound familiar?

Sure does.

My first copper carbonate was ceramic grade, and my cryolite still is. They are of excellent quailty. I also have ceramic grade lithium carbonate. It works in salmon coloured methanol fires, and you can use it as a substitute for strontium carbonate in purple compositions. On it's own it'll be pink, though.

I just want some Cuo for a thermite cause of his rapidly burning rate. and i saw in wikipedia that is used as a pigment... but not black colors, blue red and green, and i want to ask if those pigments are Cuo, the thermite will work ? Edited by THEONE

The fact is the pigments for green, blue, and red will not be CuO, so it does not matter. Try asking for copper oxide instead of trying to guess what pigment it might be. You may also want to find better resources than Wikipedia.

The fact is the pigments for green, blue, and red will not be CuO, so it does not matter. Try asking for copper oxide instead of trying to guess what pigment it might be. You may also want to find better resources than Wikipedia.

If the green one would be copper carbonate....?

After heating this i may take Cuo

i do not think so that they know..

What an attitude. Cheer up. Why can't you buy chemicals from a pyro supplier, by the way? Are the laws that harsh where you live?

• 1 year later...

I've been experimenting with CuO. Discovered an explosive (as in unconfined BOOM!) mix:

CuO + Al + NaClO3.

The CuO and Al are stoichiometric (1g for Al, about 4.4g for CuO). The NaClO3 is a guess (1.0 g).

If you make this, do not be close to it when it ignites. And certainly do not confine it unless you're an experienced pyro who knows how to confine explosive powders.

The one: Best bet would be to buy it straight from a supplier. Look up one of the polish or UK suppliers, most of them will send it over to you if you ask them.

Making it a home is possible, shot me a PN if you wan`t to know how to do that

I've been experimenting with CuO. Discovered an explosive (as in unconfined BOOM!) mix:

CuO + Al + NaClO3.

The CuO and Al are stoichiometric (1g for Al, about 4.4g for CuO). The NaClO3 is a guess (1.0 g).

If you make this, do not be close to it when it ignites. And certainly do not confine it unless you're an experienced pyro who knows how to confine explosive powders.

With dark Al I've found that straight CuO/Al makes quite a boom when a twenty gram pile is ignited. I'm sure the chlorate makes it significantly more powerful.

I have to say I'm a bit baffled by some things you have said, such as "certainly do not confine it unless you are an experienced pyro who knows how to confine explosive powders". This stuff is flash powder. Obviously we don't want to go around recommending to new members to get straight on the flash powder band wagon, especially with exotics, but confining explosives is sort of what we do here. This is after all a forum about making fireworks and other pyrotechnics and explosives. You make it sound like this is a school lab.

"...With dark Al I've found that straight CuO/Al makes quite a boom when a twenty gram pile is ignited...."

The last time I cad welded some conductors to a ground rod, IIRC Star Molecule dark jagged flake Aluminum and CuO ( black cupric oxide) were used. Of course it was an intensely exothermic reaction but I don't recall an explosion. 3Cu0 + 2Al --> 3Cu + Al2O3 Perhaps my senses gotten dulled over the years?

Edited by hindsight

What quantity were used? It will not self confine and make a boom in small quantities, but merely go 'whomp', at least in my experience. light a whole ounce sized pile on the other hand... The copper oxide particle size is criticval too. My stuff seems to be quite fine, but I've seen other copper thermite that is slower than BP due to this. With my CuO it's quite a lot faster than BP, thus a 'boom' from tens of grams in the open.

Jonothan, I'm quite tired today (no sleep last night at all) and I think I'm coming across as quite grumpy and I'm worried that I am being insensitive. I don't intend to come across that way, so my apologies if I do.

Seymour --

No problem; I've got a thick skin.

As for sleeping, a report out the last several days says that during sleep, brain cells contract, allowing cerebro-spinal fluid to clean the brain of plaque-causing proteins and other waste. Get your Zs.