APC Forum

6" Double petal shells

Mumbles

Another 2010 PGI competition entry. Outer petal is a brocade formula I developed, and the inner petal is Yankie's purple. The purple clearly didn't light very well. This also used cut stars so the breaks somewhat jagged looking.

Nice shells!!!

I too noticed this about cut stars wandering ,and not giving a clean symmetrical break.

I have noticed this especially with pattern shells . My cut stars where not a good choice for the rings etc.

The purple was a very nice addition with that brocade effect. Do you think that it was a priming issue that caused the faulty ignition of the other purple stars ?

Edited by pyrojig

Another 2010 PGI competition entry. Outer petal is a brocade formula I developed, and the inner petal is Yankie's purple. The purple clearly didn't light very well. This also used cut stars so the breaks somewhat jagged looking.

Would you mind sharing the brocade furmula? That was very nice.

Honesty I'm not sure what caused them to not light. I haven't had nearly as much trouble recently with priming. They were yankie's purple, so a lightly metal fueled composition. I wonder if I need to start step priming or something. They worked fine out of canister shells, so it must be the more violent break of the ball shell.

I actually get a lot of requests for that brocade formula. I used to tell people it was a secret, but I've shared it secretly with probably a dozen people over the last few years, so secrets probably out. I'll make an entry in the composition section so I can reference others to it when it comes up.

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/6983-brocade-stars/