APC Forum

New Australian Knife Regulation...

NightHawkInLight

When not only firearms but also weapons like knives are banned/restricted, the totalitarian state is not far away.

Two countries with restrictions on knives, swords etc. were imperial Japan in the 17th century and Nazi Germany. In the first case only the royals and nobilities had a right to own a sword. In the second Jews were forbidden to own both firearms and sharp knives.

Since most people are idiots, it's easy to convince them that this is done for their own good. In fact, people are probably more idiots today than 1938 or 1650. I think that every Japanese peasant and every Jew in Nazi Germany knew why they weren't allowed to own weapons.

Gosh dammit, I feel like soon enough they'll have restrictions on close to everything. I'm scared I won't be able to source and chems within Australia any more...unsure2.gif

those who wish do illegal activity with knives wont worry about breaking another law, having been on the wrong end of more than one incedint involving a knife, i can see where this move comes from however it will only affect those who carry them defensively or spotsmanly, such as my brother in the fencing club

It gets me depressed to see more government choking in the world, no matter what country it's in. I just read a thread over on another forum that I know might affect some of the members here.

http://coldsteelforu...8335-print.aspx

I say get out now (before you can't! *dons tin foil hat*). I currently live in Commie Cali, and I plan to leave as soon as I can ;)

But then again, I would moving from state to state, not across an ocean to another country.

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.

The gun control crap didn't work, let's see if a knife ban will! Australian politicians are as mentally deficient as Canadian ones. Edited by hillbillyreefer

I suppose there's not going to be a huge public outcry to legalize ballistic knives, but I lost $1,500 last night when I realized that I had misunderstood the law and had to remove my recent video. Amazing to me that laws are made so rigid that a knife that couldn't cause the injury that could be inflicted from walking in front of a dart board could land someone in prison for a decade. What a world this is. Well, the world's fine, the people in it that say they would rather have a cell phone than clean drinking water are the problem.

My understanding is that the laws haven't really changed. It is still legal to possess these knives (although depending on circumstances you may need to have a reason) and you can still buy them in stores, customs have just tightened up what they will allow through without any paperwork. You can still import them, you just need to get a B709A form from your state police.

That said, I'm tempted to grab one or two now just because I can.

I suppose there's not going to be a huge public outcry to legalize ballistic knives, but I lost $1,500 last night when I realized that I had misunderstood the law and had to remove my recent video. Amazing to me that laws are made so rigid that a knife that couldn't cause the injury that could be inflicted from walking in front of a dart board could land someone in prison for a decade. What a world this is. Well, the world's fine, the people in it that say they would rather have a cell phone than clean drinking water are the problem.

Yup.

Knives that open one-handed are extremely useful in survival situations, or if you're otherwise physically disabled. I'm not sure how Australian law works, but I believe this could be considered discrimination. Edited by FrankRizzo

Knives that open one-handed are extremely useful in survival situations, or if you're otherwise physically disabled. I'm not sure how Australian law works, but I believe this could be considered discrimination.

If you mean for self-defense, it's probably illegal there, as it is in almost every country here in Europe.

If you mean for self-defense, it's probably illegal there, as it is in almost every country here in Europe.

I mean for utility. Imagine that you get into a car wreck, and have lost use of one of your arms. The seatbelt release is jammed, trapping you in the vehicle. You're able to reach down to your belt and find your knife, but you can't open it...

You might get busted for having a knife in your car in many countries here in Europe, if you don't need it for your work. I know it sounds insane for an American, but that's the way it is.

You might get busted for having a knife in your car in many countries here in Europe, if you don't need it for your work. I know it sounds insane for an American, but that's the way it is.

Yeah, drive by stabbings are a real problem here...The highways are like a prison mess hall.

I'd never thought of it until just now, but that's a pretty powerful piece of ammunition to throw at anti weapon people. Even in prison where absolutely everything is controlled to the finest detail, the criminals still find ways to arm themselves.

Not really a new law, its been like that for decades here, customs are just probably being a little finicky. It has gotten to the point where the most police will advise you on what to say if another policeman ever asks why you are carrying a knife. I thought everyone knew Australia was the most over-regulated babied country around?

How did you lose $1500???

Not really a new law, its been like that for decades here, customs are just probably being a little finicky. It has gotten to the point where the most police will advise you on what to say if another policeman ever asks why you are carrying a knife. I thought everyone knew Australia was the most over-regulated babied country around?

Europe isn't much better either. A woman in my country isn't even allowed to carry pepper spray. The poor little wapist might get hurt.

How did you lose $1500???

The video took off and got 800k views over the weekend it was published. When I had to delete it that gave up all the advertising revenue that I had earned from it.

Can you earn $1500 on Youtube? How long time did it take to earn it?

Yes, it's a part time job for me. I am paid through advertisements provided by Machinima. The particular video I am speaking about received heavy promotion and was able to earn about that amount of money in just a few days. It is of course not common to do so well with a new video.

It now turns out that the video was not so clearly illegal as I came to believe. I consulted a lawyer the other day on the law regarding ballistic knives, and I was right in my original belief that they are not illegal to possess federally so long as you are outside of interstate commerce. Unfortunately since I would have been making money off the advertisements on the video, I would be walking a fine line as to whether or not I was in the right. The law appears to be untested, and so that would leave the official interpretation up to whatever judge tries the first case involving it. I would rather not be that first case, even if it would mean a heavy paycheck.

Edited by NightHawkInLight

All I can say is please don't get discouraged from making your video's, I've seen a few of the more pyro related ones and they are nice and clear for people looking for a guide.

• 2 weeks later...

When not only firearms but also weapons like knives are banned/restricted, the totalitarian state is not far away.

Two countries with restrictions on knives, swords etc. were imperial Japan in the 17th century and Nazi Germany. In the first case only the royals and nobilities had a right to own a sword. In the second Jews were forbidden to own both firearms and sharp knives.

Since most people are idiots, it's easy to convince them that this is done for their own good. In fact, people are probably more idiots today than 1938 or 1650. I think that every Japanese peasant and every Jew in Nazi Germany knew why they weren't allowed to own weapons.

I have been hunting for this piece since I first read on this thead of the restriction of knives and now that I have found it I wish to share with others.

"The people of the various provinces are strictly forbidden to have in

their possession any swords, bows, spears, firearms, or other type of

arms. The possession of these elements makes difficult the collection of

taxes and dues and tends to permit uprising, therefore, the heads of the

provinces, official agents, and deputies are ordered to collect all

weapons mentioned above and turn them over to the government."

Toyotomi Hideyshi, Shogun, August 29, 1558

I think that we all have to think about what could happen to all of us if we were to become sheep. I think that it would not be long before we would be told what to think and when to do it as well....................................Pat