APC Forum

Did you grow up with guns?

usapyro

When dad wasn't home sometime when I was around 12 I would sometimes go out with a pillow for padding inside a jacket and the .270 cal. (DAMN that thing kicked...) And target practice. He got quite annoyed at me for destroying a section of the front wood fence... LoL! I actually did that with a few hundred .22cal bullets in a semi-auto. The .270 I used for more interesting things... Like precisely shooting out the tops of full sized fir trees as target practice when nobody was home. I don't think anyone but me ever knew why those trees north of the house were growing funny... :lol:

That reminds me... I really want to buy a semi-auto Ar-15 but it's not really in my budget right now. A friend of mine was showing me his silenced one and it was freaking sick... Ak's are more fun in my experience but Ar-15's are more accurate. You know your in redneck country when half the people you know own a semi-automatic assult rifle... LoL!!! I consider the ability for civilians to own semi-auto assult rifles a very important freedom. Outlawing full auto and requiring licenses is stupid... Full auto is so much fun and helps the economy because it uses so many more bullets.

You know your in redneck country when the power company has had to come out to fix the the power line after your brother shot it down trying to hit a starling with a 30-30. Yes, that happened... Shooting starlings(A type of pest bird) was like family bonding. Guns, a couple brothers and chairs on the porch... Let the bullets fly!!! ^_^ Shotguns were mostly used, however contests of accuracy with the other guns were fun. If you can take down a bird in flight at 30' with a .22cal your doing good... I only managed it a few times ever.

You know your in redneck country when there are more than five guns per family member and some are passed down from multiple generations... I thought it was hilarious when I was a kid when other kids visiting were scared of all the guns. I got my first high power pellet gun at like seven and my own .22 cal at like nine.

Edited by usapyro

I've got a handful. Shotguns and a 9mm carbine. I would have another shotgun if I didn't need to rent a tux for a wedding coming up...I don't think I've ever worn clothing that in total cost as much as the tux is to rent.

Not sure I approve of firing rifles up into the trees...Unless you really are miles away from anything.

I was not raised with guns. In fact in my house guns was a four letter word. When I was 16 I bought my first .177 cal pellet gun, a crossman repeatAIR. I tried to keep it hidden but being so thrilled with it it didn't take long before my mom found out and gave the ultimatum: "Either the gun leaves or you leave." I 'gave' it to my friend so that I could still shoot it once in a while. Now that I'm grown, (29) I have all sorts of guns, my first being a 50 cal black powder muzzle loader. I got it specifically for two reasons.

1. I was getting into fireworks and needed a legal outlet for regularly burning black powder (most of which was home made)

2. I wanted something I could hunt a wild boar with. (not the best choice considering reloading time, and the fact that wild boars are known to be hostile when fired at)

That led me to justify getting my first real firearm, a .357 mag, the smallest side arm reasonably powerfull enough for wild hogs.

I've since gotten into reloading. One time I loaded my .357 casings with bp. Knowing that they would be very dirty I learned how to compleaty disassemble the ruger gp100 before shooting them. I loaded them the old fashioned way. Till they were full. Admittedly my home made bp was and still is weak. (commercial hard charcoal, and champion (hydroponic grade) nitrate) but it still gave a gratifying recoil. Akin to a .38+p+. And it was still acuarate.

Now I have in my collection: (this is the first time I've listed it all out)

Cva .50 wolf .209 magnum muzzleloader

Uberti .45 1859 confederate navy brass frame Cap and ball revolver

Ruger GP100 .357 magnum blued with 4" barrell

Ruger super redhawk .44 mag stainless 7" barrel magna ported

Sig sauer mosquito .22

CZ 75 sp-01 9mm California legal.

Ruger 10/22

Remington 870 12 ga

Remington 22 auto loader tube fed mag

Remington 7600 pump action 30-06

A decent number of guns for me.

I guess that my Mom's deathly fear of guns kinda backfired, although I am known as being one of the safest gun handlers In my peer group. I am usually the one introducing others to the world of guns and showing the proper safety rules. In fact whenever I take my friends out shooting, even the gun owners, I lay out the firearms safety rules and run the group like a range with a range master. Although when we shoot, it's usually a bit more fun than just shooting paper targets. ie. my friends know who to call when they want to shoot exploding targets. (all at safe distances with every precaution considered)

The super redhawk has my favorite design of any revolver, I wish they shrunk it down into a 9mm or 40 that would be reasonable to carry. I just think it looks exactly like a revolver should.

Never grew up with them, most likely due to living in suburbia, and my parents were never that interested. Now that we've moved to the middle of nowhere, every child and his inbred sister has at least a rifle and a pistol. Helps my shells blend in :P

A friend of mine shot a bird, from inside his house, because it was irritating; his dad has hunted deer from inside the house as well. And then before deer season all you hear all day is powpowpowpow as everyone sights in their rifles.

I'm a born and bred Gun Lover! I love anything that goes bang.

Any time you want to chew the fat over AK's and AR's, I'm there.

270 is my favorite big game cartridge. I've been shooting the same old 1950 FN Mauser since I was a small boy in the 60's. I think my user name says it all. KILLFORFOOD!

usapyro you were very fortunate to have had your Dad there for you. Mine died when I was very young. I've tried to make up for it with my Son, we've shot thousands of rounds together.

NHL your next shotgun needs to be a SAIGA!!! I will be purchasing one very soon and converting it to a pistol grip and a bunch of other fun add-ons.

Don't get me started on this subject. We don't have enough time.

Since I live in Europe and my dad didn't hunt or was in a shooting club: no. I had a 4.5 mm airgun and a 6mm start gun, though, and sometimes we were at grandpa's and were allowed to shoot with his .22 rifle and sometimes with his 12 gauge shotgun.

I hate European gun laws and the general European mentality towards guns, by the way. No wonder the Communists and Nazis could gain power here.

NHL your next shotgun needs to be a SAIGA!!! I will be purchasing one very soon and converting it to a pistol grip and a bunch of other fun add-ons.

I'm looking for another duck hunting shotgun. I might get a Benelli semi auto, but I'm also considering Remmingtons new 887 pump. The full plastic coating makes it a lot warmer on the hands if you go gloveless into the swamp, and it's about half the weight and half as loud as my ported Mossberg 835 howitzer. My hunting buddies do nothing but whine and moan about their girly ears when I'm shooting beside them in the duck boat.

I have 6 kids and they all have learned at the age of four to shoot a .22 long gun, bolt action. Why four? It is physically impossible to shoot yourself with a gun that the is longer then your arm span ;)

.22s are my favorite long gun and have an all custom Ruger 10/22 with stainless steel 1" bull barrel and laminated thumbhole stock. We call it the dazey-picker since it will shoot the heads off of dandelions at 100yds all day long. My favorite hand gun and hunting weapon is my SSP91 chambered for 7mm-08. I line up around 100 .308 empty shells in a pan of water 1.5" deep and use a propane torch to heat them to cherry red and knock them into the water. This softens the brass and gets them ready for shaping and reloading. I use a 150 grain boattail Nosler Balistic tip bullet and military .308 powder (sorry, don't know the mil spec) for deer hunting and the 120 grain Remington spritzer for prairie dogs and coyotes.

With the right sling and a good scope, this 14" long barreled hand gun shoots as well as a well lapped A-bolt. I love the 7mm since it shoots so flat and bucks the wind like Double H speedy Gonzales!!

med_gallery_9798_35_846.jpg

-dag

I love 10/22's. Every collection should include one.

I converted this one to 17HM2.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/killforfood/10-22/WeaverScope85.jpg

The 10/22 was the first gun I ever bought back around 83 or so. Ive been unsuccessfully looking for a ruger 99/44 for deer hunting. It looks like a 10/22 but its a 44 mag with a 4 round rotary magazine.

Steve

The direction over the top of those trees is national forest. Actually everything but that few hundred acre spread in that valley is national forest... Edit: Or timber company owned land. I was real young then.

Not sure I approve of firing rifles up into the trees...Unless you really are miles away from anything.

Edited by usapyro

I grew up with guns. Started with BB and pellet guns. At some point my dad got us a couple break action single shot 22's.

Now I have a Ruger 10/22, a Ruger 270, a Ruger Mini 14, a mixed breed SKS,and a single action, 6 shot 22 revolver (can't remember the maker right now). Just realized I like Ruger apparently. I did have a 40 cal Glock but someone ransacked my place and stole it a few years back.

nice to see men with arms,keep that powder dry men its going to come in handy very soon

I hate European gun laws and the general European mentality towards guns, by the way. No wonder the Communists and Nazis could gain power here.

Our gun laws here in the good ole USA are not nearly as restrictive.:lol:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/killforfood/icecream.jpg

2. I wanted something I could hunt a wild boar with. (not the best choice considering reloading time, and the fact that wild boars are known to be hostile when fired at)

funny after you eat wild pig, deer hunting is kinda passe

certified, card carrying gun nut here. Wont go into lots of detail as my fingers dont like typing that much. Suffice to say my goto gun would be a .270 with a 30-06 as back up for anything elk size or smaller. Have to agree with Dag thos Winchester Supremes with the little red tips are like hitting game in the head with a sledge hammer!

Home defense is handled with AR platforms and assorted shotguns. Tried most pistol calibers but have pretty much settled on .40, good compromise of power, trajectory, availability and capacity.

I have a long list of wants but the high points are:

High point shotgun

some form of 1911 in .45

really would like to try out a "bean field" rifle in any caliber

.300 whisper

to name a few

If only I was born rich instead of so damn good looking!:D

The super redhawk has my favorite design of any revolver,

The GP-100 is the same frame and grip design as the super redhawk. Thats one reason i went with the super redhawk, i love the look and feel of the GP-100, especially the rubber grip with the rosewood insert, (sorry Hogue) ((I live down the street from The owner of Hogue Grips)) (((I bought my truck from Him)))

I have an unatural affection for AR's:wub:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/killforfood/Alvord/IMG_6798.jpg

Got my first rifle in 1955...started reloading in 1960...been doin' so ever since.....am well protected!

Food-Water-Ammo....and of course, a good dog!

I lol'd...

The general political orientation of the population has nothing to do with the public being able to own firearms. And no kind of dictatorship, nazi or communist, will come to power without the support of the public.

Aaaand i'll just leave it at that.

On topic, I only own an air rifle. Just for some casual shooting at tin cans. Keeps me entertained :)

Edited by Pretty green flame

And no kind of dictatorship, nazi or communist, will come to power without the support of the public.

And several key political decisions as well as well planned assassinations. It should read, "And no kind of dictatorship, nazi or communist, will come to power without the support of the public, as long as they don't know what is really going on behind the scenes."

The Third Reich is a prime example of the rise of a leader that made all the right decisions and killed all the right people at the right time. The problem is, has and always will be, "power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely."

Let the people rule themselves and they will rule themselves, for better or worse. The USA had better come to an understanding of that concept darn quick and go back to the origins of this Republic or it will end in an armed conflict within our own boarders.

"Aaaand i'll just leave it at that."

-dag

I recently watched the movie 'The Wave'. Pretty interesting take on how dictatorships rise to power. It felt a little unrealistic how quickly they made things go south in the movie, but then again I don't exactly think and act the same way as most people I meet, let alone European high school students which are the subjects of the story. I probably wouldn't join up just because I didn't want to take the time of day to go buy a white shirt I didn't need. It's on instant stream from Netflix, I'd like to see some of your takes on it.

Definitely grew up with guns. Dad was a real sportsman back in the day, lol. Started about age.... 11? 12? somewhere along that line.

My favorite target shooting gun is the Marlin 17 HMR I picked up a few years ago. Got a really good one off the line. This is 5 shots at 100 yards:

dialed-in1small.jpg

dialed-in2small.jpg