APC Forum

ALUMINUM POWDER

THEONE

Go to a scrap yard and ask for it. They get it in all the time and have nothing to do with it. If they don't have any when you show up just ask if they could set some aside for you and come back the next week.

That sure is not the case up here, they don't sell it as scrap to anyone but the ones that buy train fulls of metals. :(

-dag

Go to a scrap yard and ask for it. They get it in all the time and have nothing to do with it. If they don't have any when you show up just ask if they could set some aside for you and come back the next week.

We have here, it is 10 minutes by walking, but i ask them and they do not know they only know aluminium...

also i have completely access there cause i know them for years,,,

I know some pencil sharpeners made of magnesium, does anybody know what else is made of magnesium ?

Parts of chain saws. ;)

chain saw motor case, Lawn Boy mower decks

I lucked out, my scrap dealer had a Mg Dock plate used to load Semi's.

I bought 120 lb 3/4" thick Mg :)

Witch one party ? also how i can test that ?

Take a small dropper bottle filled with white household vinegar (5% acetic acid). Magnesium bubbles readily with even mild acids and aluminum doesn't, so any light metal you find in the junkyard that bubbles with vinegar is probably magnesium. If it's coated or painted, scrape it a little with your pocket knife first.

Have fun and tell us what you find out :).

WSM B)

trip to scrap yard a while ago: "do you have any magnesium scrap" [strange look] "you wont find that" yes it is used in some vehicle parts [ford f150] some steering columns and mounts and sacrificial anodes on boats" no you mean zinc you wont find that " no i want mg " why "i want to use it as electrodes for a science project and i would like to make magnalium castings because the metal is light brittle and easy to shape ;) but first i have to find some" you'll be lucky. its either he did not know what in the yard was mg, he had none or, he didnt like me, i left as puzzled as him, asked a few car scrappers aswell they knew nothing of mg in cars :huh:

fire steels you can get in almost evry country you dont get much for your money though ive been collecting pencil sharpeners for some time now :D some mountain bike wheels are mag alloy [3-7 spokes], car wheels and motorbike wheels but they aint cheap even secondhand, not scrap yet.

aluminium will be noticably colder to touch than magnesium if you dont take vinegar it will also be lighter in weight.

in the end it is easier and cheaper on a small scale to buy metal powders.

dan.