APC Forum

ALUMINUM POWDER

THEONE

It is possible to make aluminum powder from aluminum chloride ?

ore magnesium powder like the zinc with chemistry

That's a good question; I'm not sure but it might be fun to try (especially if you have lots of scrap magnesium turnings available to use) :whistle:. It might be easier to make powdered aluminum flakes by ball milling shredded thin aluminum foil with steel bearings. I experimented with this years ago while helping a friend do research for an article he was writing on the subject. I never saw the article but the process worked. Whether it's practical is dependent on the availability of aluminum powder in your area dry2.gif!

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

I have my own questions on the purity of the resulting zinc. The same process is in theory possible for aluminum, but not for magnesium. Practically however, I don't think it will be all that that viable. Given the violence of the reduction with magnesium, there is clearly something else going on. The actual reaction should be sluggish at best. It's clear there is some excess HCl in there given all the hydrogen being given off.

The reagents are cheap. Give it a shot, and let us know how it turns out. I'd love to be wrong.

So it is possible !!

2 Al + 6 HCl → 2 AlCl3 + 3 H2

Mg (s) + AlCl3 (aq) → Al (s) + MgCl2 (aq)

But what is the formula ? How much per by mass ?

Edited by THEONE

So it is possible !!

Balance that second equation and then determine the molar mass of each reactant. Your formula will be the ratio by which each reactant's molar mass relates to the other in the equation.

Balance that second equation and then determine the molar mass of each reactant. Your formula will be the ratio by which each reactant's molar mass relates to the other in the equation.

I really do not know how to do that,

also the HCL were i can find is a solution of 10 - 15 %

You don't have to use magnesium turnings - magnesium scrap will work as well. I used a similar method to extract copper from CuSO4 solution

I am by no means a chemist, just a backyard hobbyist with a desire to design, build and enjoy experimental rocketry and fireworks (not so experimental) I've been thinking of a new way to make my own Al powder. Ball mill takes forever!

I have a theory I'd like to run by everyone. Is it possible to dissolve aluminum foil/stock in some sort of acid or lye solution. Pour through a filter (IE coffee filter) to render a super fine aluminum powder? Or will using this method result in making something else?

I'm aware that I could buy it online by the pound but that doesn't allow me to have a "project" to work on. I'm familiar with other arduous and daunting methods of creating Al powder. I'm just looking for something chemically... All input is appreciated.

If you're dissolving it in acid or base, you're forming something that isn't aluminum powder. That is the premise of the original post. He wants to dissolve it in acid, then reduce it back to metallic aluminum with magnesium. I really doubt it will work at all, but worst case scenario he wastes a bit of magnesium.

So aluminum chloride is like an etching type acid or base? So what is it that you get out of dissolving aluminum in an acid? Is it aluminum oxide?

So it is possible !!

3 Mg + 2 AlCl3 = 2 Al + 3 MgCl2

3 (24.3051 g/mol) + 2 (133.3411g/mol) = 2 (26.9815 g/mol) + 3 (95.2115 g/mol)

Edited by Fred

I would take any information that suggests adding potassium metal to a solution of MgCl2 to produce Mg and KCl3 as a bit suspect. Shanspau, the method you linked to is more than just dissolving and filtering. It involves, as I mentioned before, the reduction of the aluminum chloride back to aluminum with magnesium.

Like I said, try it, but I have a feeling that that method will not work very well.

Mumbles, I was speaking I'm layman terms. Essentially it's exactly that, dissolving and filtering. There isn't a simpler or quicker way to explain the process.

I would try this but i cannot find a good quality of HCL, that we have here is a solution of 10-15% and it doest react very much with aluminum at all Edited by THEONE

Use an excess of Aluminum. Like I said before, you'll need to learn some chemistry to do this. This is very simple stuff. If you're going to be messing with fairly strong acids and reactive metals, it's in your best interest to get a good understanding of what exactly is going on.

I really do not know how to do that,

also the HCL were i can find is a solution of 10 - 15 %

You can purchase HCL up to 35% at your local hardware store as a concrete cleaner or at a pool supply store. If you can't find HCL then you could use lye. You can find lye at a craft store in the soap making department. Make sure to wear PPE when using either one of these solutions. I'll be testing this process over the weekend, I'll post my findings soon.

This is an interesting topic for me, not because I have lot's of time on my hands, but if aluminium powder becomes hard to obtain (and it could IMO) it would be nice to know how to make my own. I think I'd prefer the mechanical method rather than the chemical method. My question to Mumbles is "how was the quality of the aluminium made from cans?". I believe I've read there was a bit to processing the dark german commercial stuff and that this powder is also coated with something.

With some background as a machinist, I know that aluminium is very soft and easy to cut/machine. I would think you could simply use a file to produce a relatively fine powder or at least something that requires less milling than shredded pieces. The finer the file, the finer the powder. The biggest problem may be that you need a file brush as the aluminium will no doubt clog your file up constantly.

My biggest concerns here would be with safety in using the aluminium produced this way and in quality. Does anyone have any experience/knowledge on that? By safety, I'm not referring to the danger of a fine aluminium dust cloud that could occur if precautions were not taken to prevent it. I hope everyone knows/is conscientious of that.

I know some pencil sharpeners made of magnesium, does anybody know what else is made of magnesium ?

Go to a scrap yard and ask for it. They get it in all the time and have nothing to do with it. If they don't have any when you show up just ask if they could set some aside for you and come back the next week.