APC Forum

I'm making a decision

50AE

Guys, I've been seriously thinking about it for a year. I'm deciding to move into professional pyro.

I have already worked as professional and I think this is what I really want, a way to make my life from the things I like to do. The leader of the chosen pyro business is a very intelligent, serious person which I respect a lot. But it's not about him and not only about the money. I want to think the practical way. I'm tired to live with the thinking I'm illegal and worse, that I'm doing pyro in residential areas. I will just "pause" this activity, which means I will take all my chemicals and stuff and I will lock them in the cave with a nice steel door. They may "sleep" and eventually "wake" if the time comes again.

You may question yourself "Why can't I do the hobby and pro in the same time". I will give you the answer. This is the way it works in this country. The license I get is only dedicated for shooting, but not manufacture. But when I get licensed, I'll be in the police database known as "Pyrotechnic Name etc etc". Then I'm responsible for another thing - the pyro business. If I get caught, I risk all of it going down, it means a massive trouble. It may be hard for you to understand, but you get the point.

Meanwhile I will practice my new and legal hobby - Hi-fism :) . In the meanwhile, I will have a steady job and look into the future. Hopefully, my time as hobbyist will come again.

Do not worry, I will still be active on the forums, share and get knowledge and be in touch with you guys ;).

P.S. I'm sure some will say that turning the hobby into a job it's loosing the fun from it. I'm aware, but I accept it.

P.S.2 Do not worry, I'll be firing fireworks for the NYE. Two times though. On 00:00 o'clock It will be pro, then at 01 AM hopefully I'm coming home to shoot mines :)

Edited by 50AE

Guys, I've been seriously thinking about it for a year. I'm deciding to move into professional pyro.

I have already worked as professional and I think this is what I really want, a way to make my life from the things I like to do. The leader of the chosen pyro business is a very intelligent, serious person which I respect a lot. But it's not about him and not only about the money. I want to think the practical way. I'm tired to live with the thinking I'm illegal and worse, that I'm doing pyro in residential areas. I will just "pause" this activity, which means I will take all my chemicals and stuff and I will lock them in the cave with a nice steel door. They may "sleep" and eventually "wake" if the time comes again.

You may question yourself "Why can't I do the hobby and pro in the same time". I will give you the answer. This is the way it works in this country. The license I get is only dedicated for shooting, but not manufacture. But when I get licensed, I'll be in the police database known as "Pyrotechnic Name etc etc". Then I'm responsible for another thing - the pyro business. If I get caught, I risk all of it going down, it means a massive trouble. It may be hard for you to understand, but you get the point.

Meanwhile I will practice my new and legal hobby - Hi-fism :) . In the meanwhile, I will have a steady job and look into the future. Hopefully, my time as hobbyist will come again.

Do not worry, I will still be active on the forums, share and get knowledge and be in touch with you guys ;).

P.S. I'm sure some will say that turning the hobby into a job it's loosing the fun from it. I'm aware, but I accept it.

P.S.2 Do not worry, I'll be firing fireworks for the NYE. Two times though. On 00:00 o'clock It will be pro, then at 01 AM hopefully I'm coming home to shoot mines :)

ittakes a strong individual to do what you want to do but doing what you want mate is the only thing that makes dreams come true, great success and stay safe! Jeff

Edited by allrocketspsl

Good for you 50.........I'm struggling with the same sort....don't know whether to get into the chemical supply business or not....have a stash of AN and KN available and could make a lot of people happy with GREAT prices...but...do I want to have some high schooler with a federal badge come to my place and 'look' around? I love the pyro hobby and have to keep it very low profile. If I decide to go ahead, I'll have to pack up as you will and not enjoy the hobby......too old to invite scrutiny now.....I could just see the headlines.....Local arrested and large cache of guns, ammunition and explosives confiscated....

I was watching Moonshiners on the Discovery channel last night and it mirrors the decision that you guys are going through. Tim was taught the art by his Dad but is now struggling with the decision to go legit and pay the man for license and taxes. Once he's legal, there is no going back. But for now he struggles with the fear of being busted by the alphabet guys. The paper work alone would kill me.

Good luck on your guys decisions.

KFF

I think if you want to get into pro pyro that's cool. In most (other than the US) hobby cases, it is illegal , but many continue anyway, just keeping a lower profile.

exactly the route i want to go and for exactly the same reasons the chems will also be locked in a cave until they or i wake, not finished the collection yet though, i hope to pursue a career or at least work in pro pyro starting next year, truth is here there is too many firers not enough jobs.

lifes too short to not do the things you love so much make the most of your time here

If you can be sure of making a living from shooting pyro then go for it! You will miss the sneaking around trying to make store and shoot DIY stuff like a hole in the head. Once you can go to the store and get a shell, spending hours making one will seem like a waste of time.

I certainly don't make a living shooting displays on weekends, but it pays for the hobby. Here in the US, the necessary permits put you on the radar, but it isn't that bad. It is possible to legally dabble in hobby manufacturing and work on displays properly too. For me, the answer is with club events. Where I live, we are pretty blessed with reasonable laws and active clubs.

I strongly disagree that being able to "go to the store" and get a shell makes making one seem like a waste of time. You can't compare the two at all. Scripting, setting up, and shooting a professional show is a lot of hard work, a lot of fun, and it is a great feeling to hear the crowd cheer after the finale. I love putting on a good a show, it is like a performance. On the other hand, watching a single device that you crafted, even if it CATOs on the stand is an entirely different experience. If I am in the audience, I would much rather see hand crafted shells and rockets, built by people I know and fired one at a time so we can appreciate all the craftsmanship rather than a show full of mass-produced 'mums with a handful of "specialty" shells. However, the public wants a faster paced show and doesn't always appreciate (or know) about the time it takes to built a great shell.

50 I kinda know what u mean u either have or working on a type 54 which allows use and purchase of 1.3

I just used contingency storage not registered at my home. So there was no reason for the local officials to be notified

so I can purchase blackmatch and the like without the PO PO knowing what I do at home.

At least that's my hope but haven't had any issues "yet" I hope it stays that way also.

PS I live in Michigan ( home of good things Pyro these.days)

Edited by Dean411

50 I kinda know what u mean u either have or working on a type 54 which allows use and purchase of 1.3

I just used contingency storage not registered at my home. So there was no reason for the local officials to be notified

so I can purchase blackmatch and the like without the PO PO knowing what I do at home.

At least that's my hope but haven't had any issues "yet" I hope it stays that way also.

PS I live in Michigan ( home of good things Pyro these.days)

Theoretically... I still have pretty bitter memories and am positive I'm still on a few lists... :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

Alright, I've been redirected to work as a cinema effects pyro for now.

I'm progressing in obtaining my license.

It' looks like well paid and I... love money. So if everything does well, I'll have a job in a few months!

Thanks everyone for your kind comments!

That might turn out to be a pretty cool gig. I know I wouldn't mind working for the movies and doing pyro effects. One of the people I once helped out selling movie prop replicas at Star Trek conventions was always working towards such a job. We would have a pretty good time once the convention was over making this and that and seeing if it would work right. That was well before I knew this hobby existed but it should have given me a clue it was on option. I was just too caught up in firearms, target shooting and collecting, to see much past that hobby.

Късмет в новия си кариера! laugh2.gif

Edited by warthog

Късмет в новия си кариера! laugh2.gif

Many thanks! The correct writing is: Късмет в новата си кариера! :)

Many thanks! The correct writing is: Късмет в новата си кариера! :)

Sorry, That was how Google translAtor presented it to me. blush.gif

At least the basic meaning got through. :)

• 1 month later...
Alright, I got my licence and I'll begin my job in a week approx. My first movie will be Wrong Turn 5. If you are interested, I'll let you guys know for stuff "behind the scenes" :)

Wrong Turn 5?? Haha, good for you. Those movies are so cheesy-bad, but fun to watch with friends. Good luck, mate.

Nice. Enjoy it man.

When you work a movie I am likely to watch let me know. I am not a big fan of gore for gore's sake. 2wacko.gif

Good luck on the career though! laugh2.gif

the only bulgarian/balkan i remember:

edna dve chitere.....dobra den 50

congrats! its always nice to see someone go pro, very inspiring!

dan.

It's probably edna dve chetiri ;)

Gonna keep you updated guys, thanks :)