APC Forum

Farfalle Tooling

dagabu

Ahhhh, you are correct sir, the holes may be in the center or the end or the top but with the holes in the bottom as such, you can make the Farfalle to report like TR makes. If the holes are centered, there is no space to put the report and they have to be longer for a longer effect.

Keep in mind that these are for small shells, a 1/2" tube 3" with a centered hole is good for larger shells.

Also, I keep the tube inside the fixture until they are complete less the report, the fixture serves as the drill guide as well.

What do you all think about this:

A bag of 100+ tubes, the base, the rammer and shipping all for $30.00?* I have plenty of the tubes so they will be around for a while. Extra bags of tubes for $7.00 a bag.

-dag

*USA only via USPS flat rate boxes.

fafelle means butterly thats why the center fuse makes it look like it has wings otherwise it wont thus not a farfell,in my humle opinion.The price is right for sure! sell sell sell

wouldn't it give the same effect no matter where the vent was drilled? i like the idea, it keeps everything really simple and like Dag said, allows for a little report in the end if you wish. It may not be pure tradition, but i think it would look the same 300ft in the air. besides, with the vent on the end, of you only drill one side you get a small tourbillion.

Dag will have to clarify, but I got the impression that the inserts were pressed while still in the jig. It would make sense as he's getting away with using spiral wound tubes. I've always had to resort to good quality parallel wound tubes to get them to stand up to full strength meal with metals in it. Thus you'd need the slits vs. just holes in order to eject the finished device.

Dag will have to clarify, but I got the impression that the inserts were pressed while still in the jig. It would make sense as he's getting away with using spiral wound tubes. I've always had to resort to good quality parallel wound tubes to get them to stand up to full strength meal with metals in it. Thus you'd need the slits vs. just holes in order to eject the finished device.

Yes, very true. The tubes are a very tight fit in the jig and are held tight while you ram the comp so that they don't split. The slots, as Mum mentioned are for removal from the jig while the blackmatch is still in the tube.

Well, here they are, 7 of the beauties. The jig is made from Delrin and will give a lifetime of use. The rammers are aluminum all shined up. There is about 3/8" of a gap on top of the tube on the other side so that a tube extender (another tube sitting top of the one in the jig) can be used to add a clay plug to the very end.

http://pyrobin.com/files/128_2783.jpg

-dag

fafelle means butterly thats why the center fuse makes it look like it has wings otherwise it wont thus not a farfell,in my humle opinion.The price is right for sure! sell sell sell

Burn one on the ground and try saying that it doesn't give the appearance of wings with holes toward one end.

wouldn't it give the same effect no matter where the vent was drilled? i like the idea, it keeps everything really simple and like Dag said, allows for a little report in the end if you wish. It may not be pure tradition, but i think it would look the same 300ft in the air. besides, with the vent on the end, of you only drill one side you get a small tourbillion.

The hole in the end actually is the tradition. The center hole is much more recent as far as I can tell. They're originally described in some of the old Italian literature. Everyone has their own tastes though.

I drill the holes just above the clay, parlon star comp pressed into the end of the tube works quite well with farfalles and hummers. I use handrolled tubes for both, 1/2" id x 2.1mm wall.

I have one set left, I will throw in enough cap plugs to make some shells if you email me and make payment via PayPal by midnight tonight!

-dag

Cap plug rich Dag? Those are nice ones you have. They are a lot easier to work with than the yellow ones I have used prior to these. The thicker cored time fuses available now-a-days fit into them nicely and the funnel I have fits them better as well. I have to do a lot more twisting to get the time fuse into the yellow ones and I make a pretty big mess filling the yellow ones as well.

While this isn't the cap plug thread, I found another good use for them, as a sort of initiator to the burst in a ball shell. What I have been doing is to fill the cap plug about 3/4ths full of slow F and secure it to the end of the time fuse inside the shell. Then build the shell as usual putting in the burst charge as usual etc and sealing it and pasting it up. It has seemed at least to give me a crisper, bigger burst with a nice, wide area of sky fill. Unfortunately it adds a bit more sound to things than I want, though the light level added isn't as much as I had expected. The shells really BOOM on break though, almost like having a small report shell with stars. It will make a good NYE shell though since noise is more welcome then.

Edited by warthog

Cap plug rich Dag? Those are nice ones you have. They are a lot easier to work with than the yellow ones I have used prior to these. The thicker cored time fuses available now-a-days fit into them nicely and the funnel I have fits them better as well. I have to do a lot more twisting to get the time fuse into the yellow ones and I make a pretty big mess filling the yellow ones as well.

While this isn't the cap plug thread, I found another good use for them, as a sort of initiator to the burst in a ball shell. What I have been doing is to fill the cap plug about 3/4ths full of slow F and secure it to the end of the time fuse inside the shell. Then build the shell as usual putting in the burst charge as usual etc and sealing it and pasting it up. It has seemed at least to give me a crisper, bigger burst with a nice, wide area of sky fill. Unfortunately it adds a bit more sound to things than I want, though the light level added isn't as much as I had expected. The shells really BOOM on break though, almost like having a small report shell with stars. It will make a good NYE shell though since noise is more welcome then.

Only 55,0000 of the little buggers this time around. Sold 50,000 of the yellow ones you played with before. The red ones are almost all gone now, only 5000 left and have them all boxed up in boxes of 1000 ready to post is anyone is interested.

Good idea on the initiater, never thought of that.

-dag

I have one set left, I will throw in enough cap plugs to make some shells if you email me and make payment via PayPal by midnight tonight!

-dag

Oh sure..now put that out there...

Good idea on the initiater, never thought of that.

Wish I could take credit for this one but Joel H has been doing this for a while now in his canisters. I just started doing it in ball shells to see if it would work there too. Joel was the guy who gave me the idea in the first place. :)

I've been thinking abut that since Joel first posted it a few days ago. It's good to know it works. I guess it works on the same concept as Jim Freeman talking about placing a packet of flash in the center of a shell.

I've been thinking abut that since Joel first posted it a few days ago. It's good to know it works. I guess it works on the same concept as Jim Freeman talking about placing a packet of flash in the center of a shell.

I have no idea why I didn't think of it before but the shell I am working on will be an exact replica (all parts are measured out to the gram) of my typical shell where I pepper the break with 1 gram of flash v.s. this idea where the flash will only be contained within the cap plug.

BTW, I am out of cap plugs for now but am looking at grabbing more this week. Looks like Red, Yellow and Black cap plugs are the available colors, will have more info later this week.

-dag

Thanks Dag! Box with the farfalle tooling arried via post yesterday. Will have to wait untill Sat to open though. Is a gift from my wife and I have to work Christmas this year, so we're observing the holiday Sat so I get to enjoy my daughter opening her gifts.

Merry Christmas to one and all!

The tooling is great! I couldn't wait to open it... I too thought about putting it under the tree, but I couldn't resist. Thanks dag :)

I have exchanged a PM or two with Joel, perhaps this is when I learned about the cap plug initiator thing? Hard for me to keep track of everything but I do give him the credit for the idea. As for more, if they are to be the same size, I'd rather see them in the same dolor since it makes it easier for me to keep the two sizes I have from getting mixed up. The yellow ones fit the old tan fuse just right and the red ones fit the newer fatter stuff found easily these days from a few sources. :)

The Farfalle tooling is really nice Dag, thank you. Mine got here just today along with the tubes. I was going to wait too but since I never could as a kid, I still can't now as an older kid. My package didn't work though. :( Stupid Humidity. Nice idea though.